16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Ponsness Warren 375 question, loading short shells.
16'er
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

Looking at replacing my mec sizemaster with a 375c. Want to add the ability to load 20ga. Forgive my digressions.

I need to load shot shells for some of my 16ga doubles. Will I be able to load 65-67mm shells with a PW 375c.?

It seems like good fit, since I can mount both sets of dies on one machine. I don't load a great volume, so no problems with a single stage. The PW seems like a much nice loader, with mostly machined parts, which I like.

Thanks for any good input PW users can provide. I emailed PW and response was not definative. I tried t clarify my questions, and am waiting to hear back from them...
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

the only difference between 2 1/2 & 2 3/4 loading on the 375 is the sizing die. The standard 16ga die is slightly shorter than the crimped 2 3/4 shell, so your shorter shells may work in the standard die. If not, it would be a simple matter of having PW send a shorter one, or get a standard and machine off enough for the shorter shells to fit. I use the 375 to load 410, 20, 16, 12 in standard & mag lengths and find it a very easy to use loader. Also there are a few improvements such as knob head screws that replace the hex head screws from byrdog that make adjustments and changing out crimp starters, etc much more convenient.
byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:41 am  Reply with quote

Love the PW loaders. The factory will cut a short sizing die for you they work the best. I found that the crimping tool needs to be lowered a tad and then tapper nut needs to be adjusted some to obtain the desired amount of tapering at the case mouth. also when seating the wad in a short you will want to be able to give the wad a good scrunch with the drop tube before adding the shot.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
16'er
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:23 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, very helpful! I have machinist friend who could cut down the sizing sleeve for me if needed. Would there be any issues crimping 70mm shells with a 65mm sizer? Wouldn't think so, as mec doesn't support any of the hull sides while crimping.
byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:52 pm  Reply with quote

Thats great. have your friend try to reproduce the angle that is on the original end so that the bottom skirt of the crimper matches up to the sizer. As the skirt on the crimper moves down and begins to force the round taper into the edge of the shell the close match up of top of the sizer and inside of the crimper is important to reduce the incidence of a ring forming about 1/4" from the case mouth. The first one I made myself was cut off square and when I got a nice round taper the little ring would form. I shoot my shorts in a Browning Automatic Shotgun made in Belgium so the taper is important.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/