16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Federal Steel and Remington Nitro steel
Ross.m.scott
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:54 am  Reply with quote

Gents quick enquiry, I may be making a trip to Canada this fall to hunt snow geese. I would much prefer to bring my 16g, but am concerned that factory ammunition will not be readily available.
I have seen that Federal and Remington offer a steel 16g load for waterfowl.
Does anyone know of the availability of these in the Regina Sasketchawan area?
Thanks
Ross
STV311A
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

Sir, I do not use steel anymore and cannot comment on the availability of 16 ga steel shells in Canada but I do know that both FED&REM only make them in American size's 2 and 4. Those work for ducks <40 yards but having hunted Snows they will not work at all.

Good luck to you sir.

Rob

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:04 pm  Reply with quote

If I were you I'd call your outfitter or whomever your going with to see if there's a Cabelas available. If there is Kent or Rio Bismuth is probably gonna be your best bet. You also might join Duckhuntingchat and ask over there. Lot of Canadian hunters there. Good Luck.
John Singer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:24 am  Reply with quote

STV311A wrote:
Sir, I do not use steel anymore and cannot comment on the availability of 16 ga steel shells in Canada but I do know that both FED&REM only make them in American size's 2 and 4. Those work for ducks <40 yards but having hunted Snows they will not work at all.

Good luck to you sir.

Rob

Rob, I think if he is hunting snow geese in Canada during the fall migration, his shooting opportunities will be much closer than you are used to. A snow goose is a pretty "tender" bird compared to most waterfowl. I cannot see why #2 or even #4 steel would not kill them.

I will, however, suggest that the Federal load of 16 gauge steel is not a barn burner.

Ross, I would suggest that you might wish to contact these people:

https://www.sportingammo2.com/

https://www.facebook.com/sportingammo/

They make an excellent 16 gauge steel load that performs as well as any that I have seen. You may be able to purchase a case and have it shipped to your outfitter in Canada.

Ross.m.scott
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:59 am  Reply with quote

John Singer wrote:
STV311A wrote:

Good luck to you sir.

Rob

Rob, I think if he is hunting snow geese in Canada during the fall migration, his shooting opportunities will be much closer than you are used to. A snow goose is a pretty "tender" bird compared to most waterfowl. I cannot see why #2 or even #4 steel would not kill them.

I will, however, suggest that the Federal load of 16 gauge steel is not a barn burner.

Ross, I would suggest that you might wish to contact these people:

https://www.sportingammo2.com/

https://www.facebook.com/sportingammo/

They make an excellent 16 gauge steel load that performs as well as any that I have seen. You may be able to purchase a case and have it shipped to your outfitter in Canada.

Thanks for the responses gentlemen.
I have killed a lot of Canada, Greylag and Pinkfoot geese over here using #2 steel from the 16g. I can't see it not killing a snow as they are smaller than the aforementioned species.
Are the prices for sportingammo reasonable? I can find no pricing info on their website.
Thanks
Ross
Rick O
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:39 pm  Reply with quote

...Theres a Cabela's very near the Regina Airport.

You might look into ordering the ammo through Cabelas and Will Call it there at the store once you obtain your Firearms Permit, which, come to think of it, you'll have when you get there since no direct International Flights to Regina ...

Where in Sask will you be based?
Ross.m.scott
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for that information Rick.
I'm not sure exactly, as far as I know it is a couple of hours north of Regina. I think I will try to get my guide to bring ammo from the US side as it appears considerably more expensive on the Canadian side.
I really just don't care for using the 12g for such a big trip. I've been doing major work on crows and pigeons here of late with the BPS 16 and I love the little gun.
John Singer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

Ross.m.scott wrote:

Thanks for the responses gentlemen.
I have killed a lot of Canada, Greylag and Pinkfoot geese over here using #2 steel from the 16g. I can't see it not killing a snow as they are smaller than the aforementioned species.
Are the prices for sportingammo reasonable? I can find no pricing info on their website.
Thanks
Ross

Ross, here in the states I have found that the cost for 16 bore hunting cartridges is always unreasonable compared to 12 and 20 bore cartridges.

It has been about 7 or 8 years since I purchased two boxes of #3 steel 16 bore cartridges from Sporting Ammo. I remember the prices as being very reasonable compared to the Remington and Federal brands. Remington and Federal cartridges cost about $20-$25 or more when they can be found here.

Sporting Ammo cartridges easily outperformed the Remington and Federal ammo on both the patterning board and on game.

In recent years, the company has changed hands. The older gentleman who developed the company died and I think some neighbors purchased the company. I met them at the Saginaw Bay Waterfowl Festival (a Game Fair) a couple of years ago.

You should be able to contact them and get a price list. Their e-mail contact is:

spammo1075@frontier.com

Good luck with whatever ammo you choose to use and enjoy your hunt in Canada this fall.

Rick O
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:45 am  Reply with quote

..I'll vouch too for the Sporting Ammo Steel.

I've shot everything Waterfowl here in So Cal with their 16ga #3's through MOD Briley choke, and last time I bought, it was about sixteen bucks a box for ten or twelve boxes.

About the only time I shoot 12ga anymore IS in Canada where I use my backbored, coned, MOD Briley MOD equipped Model 12 DUCK and usually the 3"Fiocchi 1 1/8 oz #3.

We stay about an hour SE Regina.

...16 ga lead ammo off the shelf around here in Los Angeles is priced about the same the the 12 ga stuff, and I have never had a problem finding when I needed to go buy a box or two.
John Singer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

If I make it over to the Saginaw Bay Waterfowl Festival this weekend, and Sporting Ammo is there, I will get a price list and post it here.

John Singer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:17 pm  Reply with quote

Sporting Ammo did not have a booth at the Saginaw Bay Waterfowl Festival. I am sorry but I could not obtain a price list.