16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16ga old style 6pt spindex
Msuiceman
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:39 am  Reply with quote

bought a used 600jr... old version. only came with the 8pt insert (well, that works, the 6pt that came with it is for smaller bores and doesn't fit).

Does anyone have a metal pre-crimp for 16ga 6pt sitting around? I think they come in different heights also, the 8pt that works in my press is pretty short and has a metal disk sitting behind it in the pre-crimp station. I tried borrowing the 12ga 6pt that I have sitting around from my super 600... but its wayyy deeper and I don't even think it touches the hull at the station when installed (and it has no room for the metal disk behind it).
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:17 pm  Reply with quote

Don't have one of I'd send it off to you. But there's another option. As far as I know, The 600 Jr will accept the new style plastic body crimp starter which is easier to set up and use in my experience. You can put a witness mark on the plastic body and index it by hand to match damaged crimp folds if necessary. The resulting crimp may not be pretty, but it will usually hold for one more round.

This trick has saved me from having to pull an uncrimped load and dump the components often as not. It's a real time saver on a progressive loader. Should work for single stage presses as well.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

I think I have one if I can find it. I see it every once in a while as I'm looking for something else. I will look tomorrow but no promises. If I find it you can have it.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:10 am  Reply with quote

If the old style Spindex crimp starter is too deep to do the job, just put a spacer between it and the turret frame assy on which it is mounted -- i.e. space it down -- it doesn't take much. Use regular washers of some sort -- sometimes fender washers (larger diameter) are best. If you have to put in more than a couple washers of regular thickness you might have to get a longer screw to mount the Spindex unit -- 1/4-20 at the hardware store -- no biggie.

I swear by those old metal Spindexes, and swear at the new plastic ones. The plastic Spindex starts the crimp with too steep an angle, which can be a problem with the small gauges (20, 28, .410) in many hull brands/types. If the "crimp start" is too "steep and incomplete", the crimp closing punch can catch on one or more of the folds and make an ugly crimp. Setting the plastic Spindex down past a certain point does not rectify this problem -- it simply makes for an "over-started" crimp with a lumpy ridge. The old metal Spindex starts the crimp "flatter", if you know what I mean, and solves all these problems. I buy the old ones whenever I need to swap out another plastic one.

I think the Plastic Spindex is one of the rare boo-boos by the folks at MEC. I don't mind that it is plastic -- that's a good thing -- it's the shape inside that sometimes doesn't work. I don't understand why they didn't make the plastic one so it makes a flatter crimp start. It looks like it would be a simple change. Looks can be deceiving, though, I suppose. Certainly the parts count, the materials and the part costs of the oldies was disadvantageous. Also, some folks probably couldn't understand the old metal Spindex and how to get the best from it -- when and how to make it rotate, and how and when you might not want it to rotate. You get that choice with the old metal ones.
Msuiceman
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:53 am  Reply with quote

Hammer bill wrote:
I think I have one if I can find it. I see it every once in a while as I'm looking for something else. I will look tomorrow but no promises. If I find it you can have it.

Let me know, I too maybe quite a collection of things "kickin' 'round" my hobby room that I know I have, but don't put me on the spot to find. Thanks for any attempts!

I have the plastic spindex now installed... But like you, I don't seem to care for the pre crimp compared to the metal style.

Steve
Woody402
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

Here's another option. Looks like a nice replacement made for the old style crimping station.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mec-Old-School-Meets-New-Age-Pre-Crimp-starter-set-Six-Eight-for-20-and-28-Ga/282579823365?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649