16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  5/8 or 3/4 oz DR-16 loads in Win CF's?
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:04 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone here have any pet loads using 5/8 oz or 3/4 oz of lead and the DR16 wad in the old Win CF hulls? I am looking to load some quick ammo with not very much shot for shooting blue and ruffed grouse. Shots are typically 10-20 yards, so much scatter and light shot charges are the goal.

It seems that the Win CF's would be a good place to start since the capacity is a bit less. It would be great if the load didn't require filler, but if need be, the mighty Cheerio or Puffed Rice can be called into action.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:59 pm  Reply with quote

I don't have any idea how it works on birds, but I use it on clays. It is 16.6 gr Green Dot, 3.4 or 7/8 oz shot with the DR15 wad & W209 primer in a Win CF.
16'er
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:34 am  Reply with quote

I load 7/8oz #8's in federal and Winchester hulls with 18.1gr Unique for pen raised quail over pointing dogs. This is a stacked load with one hard over powder card and two fiber wads. I use a polywad spreader insert for my f/m guns. Fits nicely in 2 3/4" hulls, or 67mm hulls with Hardin or roll crimp.

Patterns nicely, and dispatches birds without mangling them at 20yds. Not the cleanest loads, but I rarely shoot a box of shells in a day at the dog club. I have some greendot on hand which would probably be cleaner.

Highly recommend the polywad insert for close in loads.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:16 am  Reply with quote

AM, your load may be a good choice for my purpose. I especially like the Green Dot part for a load like this. Any clue as to velocity and pressure?

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar - I haven't had the loads chronographed or pressure tested, but they seem to perform similarly to factory Dove & Quail loads as far as similar lead on crossing targets, etc and for reloading the hulls seem to wear-out at the crimp, so I'm guessing pressures are about what the factory loads are. I shoot break-action guns so don't have any info on how well they'd cycle a self-loader.
Just4Fun
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

Did you come across this thread from a while back?

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=162338&highlight=#162338

I had no interest in going to a 5/8 oz. load but the 3/4 oz fit very nicely in the CF hull.
A search should turn up other threads with similar info to what I found in the linked thread above.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

I clicked on your link and enjoyed reading it. There is some good information somewhat echoing what American Meet posted, but with more detail. I suppose I could just search away every time I wonder something, however this is sort of a community here and once in a while a little discussion is good. Often times new insights are available that have not been shared in old threads. Sometimes I "search", sometimes not, sometimes both.

lowgun
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:35 pm  Reply with quote

The Unique is off the charts slow burning and unreliable for 3/4 or 5/8 loads. Green Dot isn't far behind. To get cleaner burn and more reliable ignition, switch to Red Dot. I'm sure you have a keg of RD around the house somewhere.
goathoof
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:54 am  Reply with quote

Not a win cf. remington with green dot and also red dot recipes.

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160608&highlight=ounce+lead+++grains+green+dot#160608
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

I settled on 3/4 oz. chilled #5 shot, 17 grains of Green Dot, DR16 wad with petals trimmed back, and win 209 primer in the WWCF jul as my close range scatter load for blue grouse.

Results? Spreads quick and birds shot at 10-15 yards are still edible. #5's mostly punch right through at 20 yards and under, which is nice come dinner time. Now I just have to wait for my little buddy to heal up from the snake bite before I go use them again.