16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reloading Remington Express with sealed crimp
Woody402
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:38 pm  Reply with quote

Can you reload Remington Express that have the heat sealed crimp? Do they take #57 primers? I came into a few boxes and plan to shoot them up.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

hey wood - if you shoot one and it's got a fiber base wad , then it's the small primer / I believe those shells of that era were , but you need to see the bottom of one .

Woody402
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
hey wood - if you shoot one and it's got a fiber base wad , then it's the small primer / I believe those shells of that era were , but you need to see the bottom of one .

You going to the club tomorrow? I may shoot a few to find out.
brdslayr
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

They will load fine. And yes, will probably take the 57 or 157 primer.
byrdog
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:05 am  Reply with quote

I bought a boat lad of those empty's about 5 years ago. I took 300 of them and resized the primer pocket with a spent 209 and loaded the hulls with 209 primers. I have shot them about 5 times now and most of them are still usable . some do have a tiny hole in the center of the crimp where the melted seal blew out but as they are 8 pt crimp they close up so no shot leaks if they get a good taper on the crimp. I wish they still made them, great hull.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

byrdog wrote:
I bought a boat lad of those empty's about 5 years ago. I took 300 of them and resized the primer pocket with a spent 209 and loaded the hulls with 209 primers...

For the rest of the folks here, simply keep in mind that these old hulls have pressed fiber base wads. Anyone who has ever driven smaller diameter pointed nails through press board would understand the risk from shoving a blunt 209 sized primer into a 57 sized hole in what is basically press board (brass rim or no brass rim). It might not be the smartest thing to do--especially if anyone is relying on the pressed fiber base wads to stay put and hold together well enough to be used for loading ammo.

This is maybe okay advice for anyone who likes to live dangerously. None for me thanks. I'm a scaredy cat. Laughing I'll go find some 16 ga. hulls w/ plastic base wads already made for 209 primers every time. I like me fingies, me nose, and me face just where they all is now--not to mention the resulting condition of me guns. Very Happy

Yeah yeah, I already know byrdog. You figure I'm washing the hog again, and I figure you like standing in the stream down current of the campsite early in the AM. But I'm not likely to be the one to end up in the poop. Laughing
byrdog
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:17 pm  Reply with quote

the cleanest hogs youve ever seen

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Stack16
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

Here is what I wrote some time a go

The 57 primers are tapered approx. .220-.227 in dia. The 209 primers are approx. .240- .243 in dia.
So I use A piloted reamer .224x.240. Ream them out, dump the debris out and seat new 209 primer,( there is only a little bit of interference at this point), dump the debris again and load, each time you reprime, dump the debris as the reprime punch pushes on the composition base wad.
If any body don't want their hulls send them to me. I'll will pay shipping.

Griff

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:40 am  Reply with quote

If anyone just has to load these old hulls (god knows why considering whats available in hulls today), then here's another option. Look for some 57 size primers and use them. I've seen them at gun shows. Safest option I can think of.

And again, inspect these old hulls for water damage before loading them. If they show any signs of having been wet, then toss them for sure. Not worth the risk.