16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New Citori White Lightning 16g -- question?
deadmarsh
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:07 am  Reply with quote

I just picked up a new Citori WL 16g at a local shop. The owner bought two Citori's from another local dealer that went 'out-of-business', so he priced them as a used gun, but they were NIB, both 28"...

Anyhow, the price was right at $1395.00, and he let me have it at $1300 (I later found out that he had paid $1160 for each gun (one was a 16g the other a 20g)...

Question Question Questions Question Question

1) The engraving on my WL is different from what I can see on the newer versions that I have seen pictured at Reed's and the Browning website. Mine has five distinct engravins of different sizes. The largest is eye-shaped and surrounded at the corners with diffrent sized triangle engravings. Also, at the five o'clock on the right side and seven o'clock on the left side is a sunflower shaped engraving with ten engraved dots inside. Any idea when this WL was made or any other info?

2) The other WL in 20g is still in the shop; I'm sure I can deal on that one as well for $1300 -- would you buy that one as well? Question I do have a Franchi O/U 20g 26" Alcione "T", so I really don't need another nice 20gmO/U, but these Citori's are addictive...

Thanks in advance:

Dead
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:29 am  Reply with quote

The engraving pattern on the grade I guns has been subtly changed over the years. If it is just a plain scroll type, but a tad different, then it is probably one from a few years ago. If it features birds in it, the ears on the barrel breech end that mate with the top sides of the reciever are gray and engraved, and the wood is extra nice, then you might have lucked into a grade III. The box will have the grade and the serial# on the end. Check it out. The two letters in the serial # willl tell you the year the gun was made and the numbers should match the number on the upper tang under the lever.

Don't sweat the year, guns go by milage and not the year it was made. New in box is exactly that. By the way, nice deal and shrewd shopping. And yes, guns this good for this kind of money are addictive. Value for money, Citori shotguns are the best deal out there in my opinion and quite a few other folks too.
deadmarsh
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:42 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, 16GG...

I'll provide more info if it helps narrow it down:

Serial #: ***28 MZ 131
Chamber: 2 3/4"
Choke: Invector Upper = Full Lower = Mod
Grade: HS
Corner of box to right of serial #: 494 (date of mfg Question )
Code: 013048513

Thanks again for any help (you guys are amazing with the facts at your fingertips)...

Dead
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:29 pm  Reply with quote

MZ--made in 2001. HS is a grade I'm not familiar with. However, it did not say: Grade three, so I assume it means a standard grade WL model. I believe the grade one engraving was modified a bit in 2004 or 2005. But it makes no real difference. Just shoot it and enjoy it. Its a fine gun that should last you three lifetimes.
deadmarsh
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you, Sir

Dead
Grousen
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:45 pm  Reply with quote

Yep, you done very good! If the second gun were another 16 gauge, I'ld be pm'ing you for the gun store's phone number to jump on it. Take good care of it and you have your upland gun of a lifetime for a lifetime.

I'm in my mid fifties, have been upland hunting since my mid teens, and only two years ago or so (this is my third season with it) I bought a 16 ga. Lightning Feather with 28" barrels. It is by far the best upland gun I have owned. It fits me like a glove, drops the birds like rocks, and truly carries like a feather.

Good luck with yours!!!