16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Z16 wad and the Federal hull
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

Found a load the other day using Longshot,020Z16 wad,1 1/8 shot and Longshot w/ the Federal hull but now can't seem to find it.Any help appreciated.Reallly any combo would be welcomed.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun

Is the BP/SPTG16 and the Z wad the same wad?

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Field-Commander-16ga-wads-250_bag/productinfo/020Z16/

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/sites/default/files/_media/content/wadsubchart.pdf

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12404

mcrewz
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

They are not the same wad. Their pressures don't vary much based on BPI data. But I have become weary of BPI data.

Lyman's 5th

16ga federal. 1 1/8oz lead. 24.5gr longshot. Win 209. Trap commander/z16 1237 fps. 6500 psi.

16ga federal. 1 1/4oz lead. 24.5gr longshot. Fed 209a. Trap commander/z16. 1291 fps. 10500 psi
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

It seems that many folks are leery or wary of BPI data. I will admit that their 3" 20 gauge steel shot data was nasty enough to destroy 1/3 of my hulls on the first loading. Ripped portions of hull clean off. I toned them down.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

I've found the Z16 one ounce wad w/ 28 ga. filler wads to work well for reduced loads in Cheddite type cases. The wad OAL is a good fit in roomier hulls, and the diameter is big enough to prevent powder migration. Most importantly IMO, the shot cup is deep enough to accommodate both the filler wads and the shot column w/o exposing too much shot to bore scrub.

I also don't trust BPI data after my bout w/ their overly hot 28 ga data about 20 years ago. I had purchased their 28 gauge load booklet, and followed the data for one of their 7/8 ounce loads exactly as printed. The resulting loads actually stretched the hull mouths unevenly on a couple of my once fired WW AA hulls. Talk about hot--WOW!!! The loads were fired in a Citori 28 ga O/U. Thankfully, the gun is hell for stout. Stiill have it, and it's still banging away w/o so much as a hiccup.

Anyway, I called BPI to warn them about the problem. All I got from them were accusations of not following the data or screwing up some other way. So much for that episode. No more for me thanks. I like me fingies exactly where they are. Very Happy
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:12 pm  Reply with quote

Baschieri & Pellagri (B&P) makes the wad Ballistic Products Inc. sells as the Z-16 Commander. B&P call it the Z2/M. Precison reloading sells this wad as TUW22M16GA. The wad Ballistic Products sells as SG16 or Sporting 16 and also sold by Precision Reloading as the TWG2116 is made by Gualandi as the BRG 16/21. The wad Ballistic Products sells as SG16S or Sporting 16 Short and also sold by Precision Reloading as the TWG1816 is made by Gualandi as the BRG 16/18. None of these is strictly interchangeable, even though there is no outside dimensional difference between the SG16 and the SG16S -- the only difference between these two is that one sold as "short" has "blades" molded into in its over-powder cup and the other one has a small farm of little rod-like projections inside its over-powder cup. The wad from B&P (Baschieri & Pellagri), the Z-16 is intended for greater shot charges, but whatever fits works. If I remember correctly, the testing results from the Low Pressure Group show very little pressure difference using any of these wads. Anyway, the pressure difference amounts to a gnat's a55, considering the allowable pressure level (SAAMI) for guns with fluid steel barrels (not twist or damascus). When choosing between these wads, use what fits.