16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Intro to the 16 GA
JoshS
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:17 pm  Reply with quote

Hi everyone, Thank you for allowing me to join you here. It seems like a pretty good place.

I got bit by the classic SxS bug about a year ago when I bought an LC smith in 12 ga. It's currently having a crack in the stock repaired and left me wanting for another for this bird season. I've shot SxS's for a while now and prefer them to any other. I could have done with one of my newer 20 Ga's but after one quail hunt last year with the LC Smith I knew it wouldn't be the same. I've also always had a desire for a 16 ga and got more serious about it lately after I pulled my dads MEC out and got started in shot shell reloading. My Llewellin pup just had her first birthday last month so I figured it would be a neat way to start her first full year hunting off with a new gun also. I found a 1928 16ga Sterlingworth two barrel set. Unfortunately I received the gun the day I got back from a week long sage/blue grouse hunt. Eager to get the dogs out again and with the new gun in hand, we got a few days hunting the Nebraska sandhills in on my way back to help my dad put up a barn.

we were able to hunt a few hours Wednesday afternoon and soon Emma found a single from a broken covey and the Sterlingworth bought down the first bird ever shot over Emma's solo point.

Emma's bird.
[URL=http://s350.photobucket.com/user/Sheepdog907/media/IMG_7846_zps0qgniul4.jpg.html] [/URL]

Sharptail and Sterlingworth.
[URL=http://s350.photobucket.com/user/Sheepdog907/media/IMG_7856_zps09ew85dn.jpg.html] [/URL]

Shortly after my older dog D found his bird.
[URL=http://s350.photobucket.com/user/Sheepdog907/media/IMG_7860_zpsy012hlt4.jpg.html] [/URL]

Thursday we hunted two different public areas and found birds in both, took a few swims, a couple of shady breaks and took our three birds for dinner that night.
[URL=http://s350.photobucket.com/user/Sheepdog907/media/IMG_7879_zps3uoupvug.jpg.html] [/URL]

Friday morning we left our gypsy camp as the sun just began to light up the hills to the west. We found a few covies. D had the first find of the day.

Emma backing D.
[URL=http://s350.photobucket.com/user/Sheepdog907/media/IMG_7902_zpsit3mkkeh.jpg.html] [/URL]

A limit of Sharptails.
[URL=http://s350.photobucket.com/user/Sheepdog907/media/IMG_7908_zpseq4w8jaj.jpg.html] [/URL]

After our limit we headed back for the truck. The pup Emma more than proved herself, she consistently made more finds each day. I shot that Sterlingworth better than any shotgun I've ever held and was a pleasure to carry. It's my new favorite gun and I am falling for the 16 Ga hard as well. It was a great first trip to the area, one I cant wait to do again soon. The land is beautiful, as are the birds.
[URL=http://s350.photobucket.com/user/Sheepdog907/media/IMG_7909_zpslvjy4anx.jpg.html] [/URL]

Last edited by JoshS on Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:56 pm  Reply with quote

Hello JoshS
Welcome to the site Smile
Pleased to have you here
Great pictures
Mike

goathoof
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:11 am  Reply with quote

Thank you for the photos. The Sandhills are one of my favorite locations!
Savage16
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:26 am  Reply with quote

Wonderful pictures. Welcome to the addiction.

Montana16
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:54 am  Reply with quote

Welcome Josh. I have a 16g Sterlingworth and agree it is a enjoyable gun to shoot.

Sandhills look like a great place to take a stroll with a gun and a dog!
JoshS
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:57 am  Reply with quote

Thanks guys

I apologize for the double picture. Hopefully I have it corrected now.

The Sterlingworth isn't near as beautiful as some of the guns you guys have posted lately around here. The stock was cut to 13 5/8 LOP which is why it's wearing a slip on. Getting a spacer to get the LOP brought to 14 1/2 will be the first thing that gets done to it. Hopefully I can find some nice wood to have it restocked, have the barrels reblued, the receiver recase-hardened, and after seeing a few of they ones here add some engraving also. At least for this year though that gun will be the first one I'll slide from its case to follow the dogs.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:22 am  Reply with quote

JoshS,
Great pictures, no worry about the doubles. Beautiful dogs and American Classic Double Gun! Real nice start to the Sharpie season, no doubt about it.

Welcome to the best sporting sight on the Net!

Pine Creek/Dave

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:23 am; edited 2 times in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:45 am  Reply with quote

Welcome, and enjoy that Sterlingworth! A 16 gauge Fox is as good as it gets. And don't be too quick to apologize for her; the "eye candy" guns are certainly nice to look at, but a good ol' field grade with some honest wear and some stories to tell...now that's what really blows my skirt up Very Happy . I never get enough of those photos.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:28 am  Reply with quote

f2f,

You got that right never apologize for a great old American Classic Double Gun!
Especially a 16 leaning on a fence post with Sharpies it has just taken. eye Candy is nice only if it shoots well in the field and forest.

Pine Creek/Dave

JoshS
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:32 am  Reply with quote

Oh don't get me wrong, I have no problem with her looks. She does have some really small surface rust in spots on the barrel that I'd like to have taken care of for good. The stock is just a matter of function equals beauty. A spacer will do for a while, but I think down the road it would be nice to have her restocked and prettied up. That way my hands can leave some wear marks as well as other members of my family keeping the story going for a long time to come. It'd be neat I think to have both of my current dogs engraved on the receiver but I doubt I'd ever really be able to pull the trigger on it. I just wish these old guns could tell you stories as you carried them in the field. I know my mind wonders between points about what some of those stories might be.
67galaxie
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

Good for you! What a great gun
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:35 am  Reply with quote

give our Uncle Dan Fan a shout about your work - he is the GURU .

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:23 am  Reply with quote

JoshS,
You may want to go back and eliminate the Photo Bucket blocked pictures, I use jpg.com as a host now, you might consider doing the same thing.

Pine Creek/Dave

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/52677_640x480/] [/URL]