16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Remington sportsman 58
Coondawg
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:58 am  Reply with quote

I ran across one of these in 16ga this morning. What's the scoop on the 58? Were they reliable?
fourtrax
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:42 am  Reply with quote

I have one in 16 ga. It's been OK for me. When I bought it ejection was an issue. It would not cycle through more than one or two shells w/o hanging up. After a total disassembly & cleaning it works like new. It is a gas operated remmy so it does need to be kept cleaner than say an old pump gun to reliably cycle. Mine is a nice light semi auto to carry. It's choked mod so I use it for Phez. Doesn't have to be cleaned every time out but it should be cleaned if it's been in some crud, cattail slough etc. Or just shot a lot.

Coondawg
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:48 am  Reply with quote

fourtrax wrote:
I have one in 16 ga. It's been OK for me. When I bought it ejection was an issue. It would not cycle through more than one or two shells w/o hanging up. After a total disassembly & cleaning it works like new. It is a gas operated remmy so it does need to be kept cleaner than say an old pump gun to reliably cycle. Mine is a nice light semi auto to carry. It's choked mod so I use it for Phez. Doesn't have to be cleaned every time out but it should be cleaned if it's been in some crud, cattail slough etc. Or just shot a lot.
Thanks for the info. I don't run across them very often and this might be the first in 16ga I've ever ran across. looks to be in good shape. I may have to go back and look at it again.
fourtrax
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:56 am  Reply with quote

check out the magazine tube nut. There should be a high / low adjustment for the gas operation for different loads.

tselliott
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

There are just like the Remington 1100 in respect they should be cleaned every time you shoot them my dad shot a 1100 for 50 years & he cleaned the every time he shot them almost never any malfunctioning problems. Model 58 is talked up to be the most fast action ever made fast greased lighting. Sometimes causing the receiver to crack. Wonderful gun to hunt with for pheasants & is wonderful for soaking up recoil just like the 1100 has done for over 50 years.