16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 load-over pressure!!
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

Yes Tom still does testing........but it is hunting season, so you might contact him first. He also closes down for the winter months.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

Frankly, 1-1/8 oz of #5 shot will do the job out to between 30 and 40 yards very well given the right choke selection, load performance, and shooting ability. There are about 175 pellets working for you on bigger upland birds like ringnecks. And almost any 16 gauge barrel will handle #5 shot well.

Around 1300 FPS 1-1/8 oz 16 ga loads with moderate average peak load pressures are easily doable as well. More moderate average peak load pressures tend to produce patterns w/ tighter, more evenly distributed pattern cores-- at least in my experience. When it comes to longer range 16 ga loads, it's all about the pattern cores. Those loads which produce nice evenly spaced pattern cores will kill out past where most folks can reliably hit most ring necks and other similar sized birds. Well formed cores tend to hold together better out past 35 yards where they count. The patterns will tell you all you need to know, so test shoot them for sure.

I'd save the 1-1/4 ounce loads for #4 shot. These big pellets carry up better out yonder than #5 shot or smaller. Load velocities of about 1250 FPS at more moderate peak pressures seem to do well out past 40 yards in my experience. But be advised, #4 shot is marginal for use in the 16 gauge. Not all will handle #4 shot all that well. Any 16 ga barrel with less than .662" bore diameter will tend to struggle to pattern #4 shot well and will normally do better with #5 shot and smaller. Those barrels w/ larger bore diameters tend to produce much better pattern cores w/ these big pellets. I've found that bore diameters over .667 pattern #4 shot decidedly better w/ less than full choke constrictions. And good pattern cores are even more important when it comes to shooting a #4 shot load out past 35 yards due to a pellet count of no more than 155 pellets or so.