16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Marine Corps 242nd birthday
kleiboeker
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

Semper Fi, brothers and happy veterans day to all military men today, I flew Skyhawks with VMA 225 in Chu-Lai in '65.

Had a heart attack monday and 2 new stents . 99% blockage in rt. coronary artery.
Feel good after surgery.

Love shooting 16 gauge. Plan to shoot tomorrow Semper Fi
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

Wow and Wow
Congrats on the re-hab
Mike

kgb
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

Many happy days shooting, and birthday celebrations of every kind.

67galaxie
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:26 pm  Reply with quote

Everyone in my bar in the restaurant stood up tonight and sang the national anthem. From young to old everyone was singing and proud in the end
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

Very cool about singing the NA. Good Stuff. sorry about your heart attack had one in 2010 while duck hunting. i told my son go get the ducks and get the truck, they flew me out landed and 11 minutes later had two in me. Thanks for your service hope you had a good Veterans Day and good luck with your health.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, thank you sir for your service,!
My father served in the MC during WW 2. Went through all those ugly beach landings in the Pacific but made it home. Would wake up screaming in the night.
Can't thank you servicemen enough!

Matt
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:32 pm  Reply with quote

Kleiboeker,

Fully understand your situation, had an Agent Orange Widow Maker Heart Attack about 3 years back. Luck & Modern medicine saved my life, do what the Doctors tell you, take it easy and you have a great chance for a full recovery and will be back to about normal in 8 months.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Gil S
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:20 am  Reply with quote

I didn’t serve in the Corps but since a wee tyke I have held Marines in esteem. My last living uncle who was my favorite uncle was a career non-com in the Corps who served as a scout-sniper in the Pacific during WWII and was decorated for valor at The Reservoir with the 1st Marines in Korea. Mom would often take the kids to visit Uncle T.A. at Parris Island when he was there as a D.I. in the mid 1950’s. Uncle T.A. was hell-on-wheels and turned down an offer to be mustang-commissioned because as he told Dad “the top brass paid too much attention to officers”. T.A.'s dad and my dad more than once had to drive to Yemassee or Beaufort to bail T.A. out of jail for fighting when T.A. was at Parris Island. Before shipping out to the Pacific, he was in constant trouble with his C.O. He was brought up on Captain’s Mast for an incident. The hearing officer in looking at his last name, asked him “do you have any relatives in the Navy?” “Yes, dad is Commander C.G. Laird.” “Anyone else?” “Yes, Rear Admiral Oberlin Laird is dad’s brother”. “Obie, Obie Laird?” asked the startled officer. T.A went from Captain’s Mast to Captain’s Orderly as Obie was the hearing officer’s roommate at Annapolis. T.A.’s CO wasn’t too happy.

"I’m a yardbird from Yemassee,
I called my piece a gun you see
So woe is me wh-ho is me."

A belated Happy Birthday and a tip of the hat in the direction of Tun Tavern., Philadelphia. Gil
Chicago
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:18 pm  Reply with quote

A belated Happy Birthday and Veterans Day. You were on the front end of that mess. Sorry to hear about your heart attack and I hope the recovery is quick. I was in fixed wing for about two months when I was transferred from Marble Mountain to Iwakuni Japan. I liked Japan but the fixed wing program wasn’t as laid back as the chopper duty.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

Gil S,

My Uncle Scotty was a Marine Gunny one very tough man, my Father was a Master Chief UDT Sea Bee with the 46th Seabee's, better known today as US Navy Seals, both fought together in WWII, both survived many many island hopping fights, including Guadalcanal. Both men were offered Mustang Officer positions during WWII, both turned down the offers. When I accepted my Warrant Officer Promotion both men agreed that Warrant Officers were not viewed in the same manner as Commissioned Officers, so I was still a NonCom to them. In reality this mattered greatly to me, I felt I was not worthy to carry either of these fighting mens shoes. It's very true that Warrant Officers cross all lines in the US Military. Proud to say they never held the Warrant Title against me as a fighting man. Getting on the bad side of either one of these WWII fighting men, is not something I ever wanted to do.

Happy Birthday again Marines, also Happy Veterans Day to all who took the oath and served our Country and the US Constitution.

Pine Creek/Dave
163rd MISF, 2nd Grp - Fort Devens Mass/Viet Nam/West Fort Hood,Tx
US Army CID Special Agent - Retired

S Hillis
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

kleiboeker wrote:
Semper Fi, brothers and happy veterans day to all military men today, I flew Skyhawks with VMA 225 in Chu-Lai in '65.

Had a heart attack monday and 2 new stents . 99% blockage in rt. coronary artery.
Feel good after surgery.

Love shooting 16 gauge. Plan to shoot tomorrow Semper Fi

Best wishes on your recovery and thanks for your service.

I was a ground support mechanic in VA 205, Navy squadron. We had Skyhawks, too. I worked on the huffers and tow tractors, and did double duty as a plane captain at times, and hot fueling the A-4s. Always enjoyed running the huffer and exchanging hand signals with the pilot as we brought the engine up to speed for him to light it off. Played hell with my hearing, tho'. Those earmuffs just didn't do all they needed to do. Long time gone.

SRH
Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:13 am  Reply with quote

Dave,
Uncle TA is pictured below on his 86th birthday 7 years ago with my sister Mary. When an older acquaintance noted my middle name, he stood in my face and asked me if I had an SOB uncle named TA. Seems like he was his least favorite DI at Parris Island when he was a raw recruit. Mom, his sister, visited him about 20 years ago and he took her to the neighborhood bar where retired Corps and USN hung out. TA left her to talk to a friend and they were yukking it up when the bartender asked if she knew her brother was "crazy". "Why". "See that man he's talking to? Lost a leg in the Pacific. Last week, TA came in with a chainsaw, started it up and chased the man around the bar with it cranked up until they both fell down laughing."
Here he is, at 86, buzz cut, oxygen breather, teeth out, and giving all of us a salute. Semper crazy, but in the best way. You'd want him in your foxhole.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/52915_600x400/] [/URL]
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:45 am  Reply with quote

Gil S,
I have a close friend, Gunny Bowman who is the same way, absolutely no give to these guys and they will play any practical joke at any time. My Uncle Scotty was the same way. As my Father use to say they earned the right to act any way they darn well please. Without men like them the Nazi and Fran Japan would be running the world.

Pine Creek/Dave