16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Husqvarna 16 ga. boxlock question - shotshell choices?
double trigger
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:02 am  Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been away awhile and am now coming back into the 16 ga. fold. Years ago I had an opportunity to buy a Husqvarna model 310A sxs 16 ga. It is quite a nice old gun in great shape but I put it away in my safe - thinking that some day I would actually like to bird hunt with it. To be honest I have never shot it.

Well I recently retired and the day has come that I would like to bird hunt with it Smile . Before I do so I just have some basic questions. Could anyone help me determine what the chamber length is and perhaps most importantly, what shells I should be feeding her to be safe?

I did buy a couple boxes of the Gamebore 65 mm/2.5" shells with a load that would probably be very safe. From my previous 16 ga. sxs days with a Fox Sterlingworth, I have a leftover case of B&P F2 shells that are the 67 mm length. I would like to put those shells to good use if the Huskie can handle them OK.

Thanks,

Doug
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

double trigger wrote:
Hi,

I've been away awhile and am now coming back into the 16 ga. fold. Years ago I had an opportunity to buy a Husqvarna model 310A sxs 16 ga. It is quite a nice old gun in great shape but I put it away in my safe - thinking that some day I would actually like to bird hunt with it. To be honest I have never shot it.

Well I recently retired and the day has come that I would like to bird hunt with it Smile . Before I do so I just have some basic questions. Could anyone help me determine what the chamber length is and perhaps most importantly, what shells I should be feeding her to be safe?

I did buy a couple boxes of the Gamebore 65 mm/2.5" shells with a load that would probably be very safe. From my previous 16 ga. sxs days with a Fox Sterlingworth, I have a leftover case of B&P F2 shells that are the 67 mm length. I would like to put those shells to good use if the Huskie can handle them OK.

Thanks,

Doug

double trigger, just wanted to welcome you on your first post, glad to have you here.
the chamber length should be reflected on the barrel flats, 65, 67, etc.

I have a couple old hammer guns, I just play it safe and use RST 2 1/2" shells, mostly in 1 oz loads. I don't reload, and these are safe for any shotgun in good condition.

They are good shells, and will drop pheasant quite well if you do your part.

I am sure some other members will chime in and give you some good info.

Again, Welcome!

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
double trigger
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

Cheyenne08 wrote:
double trigger wrote:
Hi,

Thanks,

Doug

double trigger, just wanted to welcome you on your first post, glad to have you here.
the chamber length should be reflected on the barrel flats, 65, 67, etc.

I have a couple old hammer guns, I just play it safe and use RST 2 1/2" shells, mostly in 1 oz loads. I don't reload, and these are safe for any shotgun in good condition.

They are good shells, and will drop pheasant quite well if you do your part.

I am sure some other members will chime in and give you some good info.

Again, Welcome!

Dale

Cheyenne08 - thanks much for the welcome and for your reply - I'll check the barrel flats as you suggested and appreciate the suggestion for RST's....

Doug
Carlos
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:05 am  Reply with quote

http://www.shotguns.se/html/hva_in_general.html

P. S; Guns with a serial number 165000 or over would be 2 3/4" chambers

Last edited by Carlos on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:14 am  Reply with quote

Husqvarna barrels are very hiqh quality, and RST's would be perfect for that gun. A 310AS would have swedish special steel barrels, but even the standard steel barrels on your 310A are very good. As a Husqvarna fan myself, you need to get that gun out and use it! Enjoy! Very Happy

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

Concur on the RSTs - they make pheasants go down, even though they're "only" one ounce of #6. I use them for my hunting.

For targets, Herters is good but they are 2 3/4.

double trigger
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:27 am  Reply with quote

Carlos wrote:
http://www.shotguns.se/html/hva_in_general.html

P. S; Guns with a serial number 165000 or over would be 2 3/4" chambers

The serial number on my Husky starts with 118 so it is an older gun - so I'll be using 2 1/2" shells - that is fine it is just good to now know.

Thanks for your help
double trigger
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:34 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
Husqvarna barrels are very hiqh quality, and RST's would be perfect for that gun. A 310AS would have swedish special steel barrels, but even the standard steel barrels on your 310A are very good. As a Husqvarna fan myself, you need to get that gun out and use it! Enjoy! Very Happy

Thanks for your info on the 310's - I definitely plan to get my gun out and enjoy it. It seems very fitting to get it out on high plains of Nebraska and Colorado for hunting prairie grouse and pheasant Wink
double trigger
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:40 am  Reply with quote

Thanks to those who have suggested the RST 2.5" shells, just a couple more questions in that regard:

1. On the RST site there are several different flavors of 16 ga. shells offered - is there a particular one you would recommend for hunting prairie grouse and wild pheasants?

2. What is your recommended source for the RST's shells (or are they only available directly from RST)?

Thanks
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:53 am  Reply with quote

From RST delivered to your door

Which ever one fit your shooting style
Some folks shoot fast, some shoot slow
Some use dogs, some just walk alone

http://www.rstshells.com/store/m/3-16-Gauge.aspx

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:02 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:

+1 What Mike said, I used the nice shot 1 oz load when I had to on state land worked great.

When no non-tox requirement needed, used 1oz lite at 1200 fps, I even get some paper lite 1oz now and then just for the joy of sniffing them! Wink

I use #6's, I have used them since I was a kid, worked then, works now.

Good Hunting!

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
double trigger
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:44 pm  Reply with quote

Cheyenne08 wrote:
skeettx wrote:

+1 What Mike said, I used the nice shot 1 oz load when I had to on state land worked great.

When no non-tox requirement needed, used 1oz lite at 1200 fps, I even get some paper lite 1oz now and then just for the joy of sniffing them! Wink

I use #6's, I have used them since I was a kid, worked then, works now.

Good Hunting!

Dale

Hi again and thanks much for the responses on RST shell choices. I hunt behind two Brittanies so if all goes well I'll get some good shots behind points (usually quail). More often than not I'm after wild pheasants that are not known for cooperating, so longer shots are needed Wink

I usually don't need non-tox so the 1 oz lite sounds like a good choice for what I do.
Researcher
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

Most Husqvarna Model 310s were built with 65 mm chambers. According to my 1927 Husqvarna catalog the 12-gauge Model 310 E (Eckermann) and the Model 310 X Pigeon Gun were chambered for 70 mm cartridges. Same in the 1932 Husqvarna catalog. Post WW-II guns, like my 1947 vintage 16-gauge Model 310 ASE, were all 70 mm. My WW-I vintage 12-gauge Model 310 AS had 65 mm chambers but Keith Kearcher determined that there was adequate barrel wall thickness and punched them out to 70 mm.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

Researcher wrote:
Most Husqvarna Model 310s were built with 65 mm chambers. According to my 1927 Husqvarna catalog the 12-gauge Model 310 E (Eckermann) and the Model 310 X Pigeon Gun were chambered for 70 mm cartridges. Same in the 1932 Husqvarna catalog. Post WW-II guns, like my 1947 vintage 16-gauge Model 310 ASE, were all 70 mm. My WW-I vintage 12-gauge Model 310 AS had 65 mm chambers but Keith Kearcher determined that there was adequate barrel wall thickness and punched them out to 70 mm.

Were there any caveats after punching them out, such as only use light loads, etc?

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Researcher
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

The gun is a straight grip, horn butt plate, 12-gauge that weighs 6 pounds 13.7 ounces, so 2 3/4 inch Magnums would be contraindicated. I don't recall ever shooting anything but my 7/8 ounce Remington STS reloads in it.