16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  "Sticky" Universal Charge Bar
TripleH
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:19 am  Reply with quote

Hey folks,

Quick question for those of you who use a UCB.

I have one in my sizemaster, the amount of effort it takes to slide it back and forth when it came out of the package was a bit much to say the least.

I took some emery paper to it on several different occasions, and while it has helped quite a bit, it still doesn't float anywhere near as easily as the MEC bars.

It seems largely related to that brass washer, as soon as I pop that little guy in there and screw the baffle in it really seems to bite.

Can I assume this is working as intended and that it's one of the trade offs to using the UCB? My guess is the whole "sharp side down" instruction of that washer is to make sure that it's grabbing a bit to maintain position.

Concern is that if I keep sanding away at the top of the bar I might erode it enough that it might become uneven enough to where the washer starts to slide and cause issues on the powder side??

Or am I overthinking?

Thanks for any feedback/advice.

Rob
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

Do not keep sanding.

The bar should not stick.

Be sure there is no grommet on the shot side. Sometimes you cannot use the brass washer on the powder side, as it is too thick for some machines. Try just the baffle with one rubber grommet on the powder side.

TripleH
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you Mark.

No grommet on shot side.

Bar floats really easy with just rubber washer in powder side. I had tried with no brass as a sanity check, that is what prompted me to finally post and ask people smarter than me instead of just continuing to sand.

Rob
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:48 am  Reply with quote

I've had that situation with a couple SM's & UCB's, besides running hitchey they would bind at the ends of the travel making it very difficult to start the slide, felt as though they wedged in at the end of travel. Instead of sanding I draw filed the top and bottom surfaces until all the uneven surfaces and witness marks were flat and smooth. Sorry for redundancy if you are aware of this stuff....Draw filing; using the file perpendicular to the normal parallel filing direction, usually cuts smoother. Witness marks; take a sharpie and draw hash marks ~every 1/4" across the bearing surfaces of the UCB (or simply color the whole thing), reinstall as you normally do, bottles and everything, run it back and forth a few times, disassemble, inspect were the witness marks are worn and that will tell you were your high spots are.

Worked for me, best of luck with your sticky wicket.

DanLee
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:47 am  Reply with quote

If you're using the original MEC brass washer with the indents, the indents should be up in order to bite into the grommet. I don't think it makes any difference with the flat washer that comes with the UCB. Powdered graphite might help. Switching to the red plastic baffle might be worthwhile since it eliminates both the grommet and the washer.
TripleH
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:49 am  Reply with quote

Thanks again all.

Upon further review, I ‘did’ have a grommet on the shot side. Took that out.

Tried the mec washer with teeth up and smooth side down instead of the UCB one.

Sharpied the top and ran it through a few times. Definitely a high ridge running right down the middle of the bar on powder side, and along the back edge. Will work on those just a bit more with finer emery paper.

Plastic baffle an aftermarket product or something MEC sells? I’ll poke around for that also and see what i can see about those.

Overall already working much better. Appreciate the help.