16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Kent Bismuth
grousepointer16
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

I was looking on the Kent Canada website and saw a lot of new Bismuth loads; of interest for members here; Waterfowl badged 16 bore, 25 round boxes of HD Bismuth; 1-1/4 oz #4’s at 1350 FPS

I will have to call Kent and talk to Daniel Banting about the new product. This is a magnum load which I will have to acquire and test. If I can get some, I will use it in our special Ontario winter Canada goose hunt next month.

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

grousepointer16 wrote:
I was looking on the Kent Canada website and saw a lot of new Bismuth loads; of interest for members here; Waterfowl badged 16 bore, 25 round boxes of HD Bismuth; 1-1/4 oz #4’s at 1350 FPS

I will have to call Kent and talk to Daniel Banting about the new product. This is a magnum load which I will have to acquire and test. If I can get some, I will use it in our special Ontario winter Canada goose hunt next month.

Hmmm, makes me wish I still had my 16 ga. Rem. 11.
brent
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

grousepointer16, I used to shoot ducks and geese with lead back in the day, and I thought 4s were perfect for big ducks and 2s for snows and a titch light for geese. Given the Kent 5s and 6s that I have actually measured with a calipers, and the lack of penetration I've gotten on pheasants, I would find Kent 4's to be pretty marginal for ducks and definitely not what I need for Canadas. That said, I'm a lousy shot and I depend on body shots, broken wings and the like, so penetration is everything for me. The Kents did not provide that for me, in 5s and 6s on pheasants. I can believe that a good shot that makes head shots routinely would do well with such loads but I am not such a person. Give me bigger, much bigger for Canadas.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

brent wrote:
grousepointer16, I used to shoot ducks and geese with lead back in the day, and I thought 4s were perfect for big ducks and 2s for snows and a titch light for geese. Given the Kent 5s and 6s that I have actually measured with a calipers, and the lack of penetration I've gotten on pheasants, I would find Kent 4's to be pretty marginal for ducks and definitely not what I need for Canadas. That said, I'm a lousy shot and I depend on body shots, broken wings and the like, so penetration is everything for me. The Kents did not provide that for me, in 5s and 6s on pheasants. I can believe that a good shot that makes head shots routinely would do well with such loads but I am not such a person. Give me bigger, much bigger for Canadas.

You should try ITX. 4's and 2's hammer ducks and geese respectively.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
brent
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:27 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan,
That may be the case. I don't know anything about them, but I do know a little about Kent's and their pellet size is much smaller than what we normally attribute a nominal pellet size to be.

My guns are old -some really old, and full choked, so Bismuth is what I"m interested in. I'm afraid ITX's will tear them up.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:34 am  Reply with quote

brent wrote:
UncleDanFan,
That may be the case. I don't know anything about them, but I do know a little about Kent's and their pellet size is much smaller than what we normally attribute a nominal pellet size to be.

My guns are old -some really old, and full choked, so Bismuth is what I"m interested in. I'm afraid ITX's will tear them up.

I shoot ITX in an 1890's damascus hammer gun with no issues, but it does have open chokes. I understand your concern.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
pbr streetgang
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

Ounce and a quarter of 4’s....now we’re talking watefowling loads. I’ll take a case.

pbr streetgang
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

http://kentgamebore.com/products/bismuth-premium-shotshells.html

Yep. There it is under, Bismuth Premium Waterfowling shells.
16ga 1 1/4 oz of #4’s, 1350 FPS.
No other shot sizes. But that’s ok, I’ll take this.
Ok Houston we have lift off.

Before their prices went stratisphereic and then gone, Kent’s TM 1 1/4 #5’s were my absolute favorite waterfowling load. Wow, my buddy once told me I wasn’t allowed to shoot my sweet sixteen and those loads in his duck boat. I would have to assume that these would be very close to those loads.

pbr streetgang
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry.
Something I just noticed about the webpage, they are coming in 25 round boxes. Not the usual ten....question is now, what’s the price and availability?

grousepointer16
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:28 pm  Reply with quote

As a young man when I was waterfowling 60 days a season and shooting lead shells, I shot all my ducks with lead 6’s and my Canada geese with lead 4’s; using Canadian Imperial 1 1/4 is loads at 1300 FPS. I shot all my birds decoying over water blinds at less than 42 metres. My retriever rarely had to chase down crips.
The new Kent Bismuth 5’s proved deadly this year in 1 oz loads. I have full faith the new 1 1/4 is 4’s in 16 bore will just as good on Canada’s as the lesser load 5’s.
I admit, that I am very selective of my shots and never try to stretch distances. I don’t shoot past 42 metres. I always put my furthest decoy at this range and never shoot outside it. This strategy keeps my stew pot full.

grousepointer16
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:47 pm  Reply with quote

Kent is showing new target loads in Bismuth with biowads. Not in 16 bore yet but look like great upland loads.
Also showing BB, 2,3 Bismuth shot sizes in 12 bore.
My Merkel model VIII is going to get a work out.

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:34 am  Reply with quote

grousepointer16, that's all good to know. I have a couple older Merkel 200E O/U's and I'd enjoy using one and being Don Zutz for a day in the duck blind. If I could only shoot like he did!
grousepointer16
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:23 am  Reply with quote

pbr streetgang; the 10 round boxes come in a case of 10, so hopefully the 25 round boxes will come in a case of 4 for the same shell count and similar price. I haven’t talked with Daniel Banting yet, I think he is at Shotshow.

grousepointer16
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:26 am  Reply with quote

Dave
I wish I could have some of Don’s hunting experiences and his writing abilities.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:29 am  Reply with quote

Interesting that they're not offering that new load in a 2 3/4" 12ga hull in a 25 rd box, only 3" and 3.5". Not pertinent for 16 discussion, but interesting regardless. It would also be great if they would offer it in 2.5" hulls in 12 and 16ga. If they did, there would be no need to reload.