16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Loads for Damascus gun.
Doc06
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:29 am  Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking on the site for sometime before registering and joining the low pressure group. I have to say this place is loaded with info.

My question is, I recently came upon a 16 ga #3 LC Smith with a beautiful chain damascus set of barrels dated 1895. Gun is given a clean bill of health. I want to reload some low pressure loads for hunting and occassional clays. What does everyone else use/recommend for components/recipes. I would like to keep pressures at or below 5000 PSI if possible.

A few loads in the reloading group data come close, just thought I would get some more opinions.
RJ Mattson
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:19 am  Reply with quote

I face the same problem with a 12 ga LC damascus. IMR lists some low pressure loads (12 ga) with SR7625 powder. After trying them, I can definitely say: these load with 7625 stink worse than even black powder - a very acidic smell to the smoke! The fouling is something to behold also.

Two of us were shooting trap with these 7/8 oz loads with 7625 and the rest of the squad was complaining!

With the low pressure, the powder doesn't burn very well. This may well be a general problem with low pressure smokeless loads. Thank God my 16 ga LC has steel barrels!
Regards, Ron
carpe dm
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:03 am  Reply with quote

Doc: Check out the Low Pressure Group here, or send me you e-mail and I will send you some loads. I load both "low pressure" and black powder and have not had a problem with either. Clean-up is not bad with a little HOT water, WD-40, and/or Ballistol. Wink

mdoerner
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

I've used the SR4756 recipe's and the 16LPG's Solo 1250 loads with success....SR7625 has been removed from my reloading powder inventory.....

Mike Doerner
RWG
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

Doc:

Finding sub 5000 psi (piezzo electrically recorded) loads that produce 1100+ fps is going to take some work. While easily acheiveable with 10 and 12 bore guns, its not a reality in the sub 12 bores. Sure, we have bp substitute loads that do it, but not many nitro loads that come close. Small bores just produce higher pressures for equal weight payloads and velocities. This was true back when your gun was new as it is now. I think you need to focus more on sub 8000 psi, than sub 5000 psi loads. Just my opinion. Russ