16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Are people really that afarid of a 16ga.
jrothWA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

sincere smiles.
My 1954 M37, raised some eyebrows, mostly because the stock needed its' buttplate put on. but when ID'd as a 16 it was all smiles espcially after I explained that it had a re-headspaced barrel put and opened to a Skt1.

Anumber of guys asked to try Sta#7 with it. Beaming as they handed ir back.

The most disappointing comment was from a clerk @ a "big box" Sportsmans store if Fife, Wa, after asking about 16 loads, Why are you interested in the antique?

The best thing about low gun is those that know the game understand and give patient cousel to those that don't understand.
Muleshoe
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:15 am  Reply with quote

Jeff,

Howdy!
melbaLT4
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:56 am  Reply with quote

Howdy,
Just moved from your neck of the woods, The Woodlands.

Gig Em'
Aggies '05
old16
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:54 pm  Reply with quote

Dang 16gg you got away with words and I agree with you 100%.

I don't proof read my stuff and my big fingers hit keys they should't but what I have to say usually get through.

I shoot at several clubs and I don't think their is a shooter I dislike. They are all a bunch of good fellows.

I shoot skeet at two or three different clubs every month and usually shoot my 16 sxs elsie or parker. Every once in a while I'll run a 25. I always shoot low gun. I've shot it that way long enough that it feels way out of place to mount the gun and demand the bird. I'm usually trying different 16ga loads and the guys start heckling me but all in fun. One fellow who runs the skeet range for the military academy seen me at another club and said that guy is the only oneI know who shoots a sxs with double triggers low gun in 16ga and runs 25 straight. When he shoot doubles it sounds almost like one shot I don't know how he does it. Well I don't know either but I don't even think about the triggers it comes automaticlly.

Many times when I go to the trap ranges I take along my Mod.12 16ga that I put a trap stock on that I had made by Fajen years ago. Most guys never know its a 16. At some time in the day I will pull it out without saying anything to anybody until after the game is over. But what takes the cake is when I win a shoot off back at the 35 to 40 yard area and win. I just walk away and mention my little sweety 16 done it again. If there is any newer fellows their you could see their chin dragging on the ground and say let me see that as if they don't believe me. Some of the older guys that known me for a while will tell me I had better keep that 16 hid till your ready to shoot or will bend the barrel on that shooter.

They all know that the 16 is my preferred ga and the 28 come in real close 2nd.

I will say this. If a person will train themselves to shoot low gun on skeet the game is a lot more fun and less serious and in know time you will be shooting just as good or better than before.