16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  chrono factory loads?
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:16 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't want to derail the chrono thread so I'll ask separately.

Curious; has anyone chono'ed the RGL? Specifically the factory 1oz #7.5; is it really ~1200fps? Truly enjoy the load and my clone of it for trap but am trying to understand the snappy recoil from the factory shell. All else equal, same gun, seemingly same lead's/time in flight. Much more snappy than my Herco reloads rated at ~1200-1250.

Any info appreciated

mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

Mike,

Those readings around 1150 are likely sonic blast detections.

B.
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:53 am  Reply with quote

Outstanding, thank you mike campbell

mike campbell wrote:
If that's suggested by the data, rather than actually measured, you might want to think the other way around ... maybe your reload is actually slower than you think.

Yep, exactly the reason for my inquiry, a reference point since the FPS in my reloads is anecdotal data not true proven speed over a chrono. Albeit the (confusing/interesting) proof in the pudding is the leads/TIF/breaks are seemingly the same with either shell. Looking like a chrono is in my future since I enjoy messing with this stuff so much. Or, be sated in; if it works don't fix it....nah

Fun stuff, thanks a bunch

double vision
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:29 am  Reply with quote

Putz, I loaded and used a 20 gauge load with Herco from my first reloading with a Lee Loader. I just used a recipe they supplied on a card in the box, and I used that load for years and years on everything from ducks to pheasants, grouse, everything. When I got on a trap team in my 20's a fellow had a chronograph, so I asked him to chronograph my old reliable Hero load. It had been such an effective load in my 20 gauge I was actually afraid it was too hot. It turned out to be 1125 fps.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:23 am  Reply with quote

Mike (putz) , I'm staring to get in my head that after 50yrs of screwing around , I should be chrono-ing and weighing etc . Need a chrono .I think you are getting on the right track . An added data pt is : Craig Parson (W-H-O-F skeeter ) had always used the old AA's for 410 . Seemed to be getting more nose hits with the HS once he needed to switch . Got the ole chrono out and almost to a shell was over 1300 fps with the SKEET loads . Call Winchester and they said that it was most likely his machine , but maybe some mis-labeled SC loads had made it's way to him . His old shells were still reading @ 1200 ish . Mike'y C's readings might still be valid , or , maybe Remmies have slid a little . Only one way to tell !! ( I REALLY need a chrono myself !!)