16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Model 12 stamping question
22-250
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

I aquired a Model 12 made in 1917 last week. I found it at a gun store and it looked like it needed a good home .....Mine. Now don't "nail me to the cross" because it's a 12 ga Laughing That's the only downer to this story. Wink

The blueing is about 75% original and turning brownish with normal wear around the receiver/trigger areas and such with no rust spots at all. There is a little pitting in the 30 inch full choke barrel probably from corrosive primers is my guess. The stock had been cut very short probably for a kid with a recoil pad installed probably in the late 40's or very early 50's or earlier judging from the White Line pad. The action itself was tight and I could see that a very thorough cleaning was in order. The barrel was loose and timing was bad on it and I showed the sales person and they knocked off $45.00 off the marked price of $250.00. I beleive this gun had not had the bolt taken out of the receiver in over 50 years if ever judging by the the coagulated oil. I literally had to scrape it off with a wooden tool we used to call an orange stick even after I soaked it in different solvent's.

Finally, after cleaning and adjusting the barrel sleeve, replacing the hammer, that I had, for the timing part and placing another stock, that I already had, on it, it came to life. I took it out this after noon on the trap range and shot first a 21 then a 25. I think I'll keep it. Very Happy I'm now looking for the correct era of stock for it.

Now for the question that I have. While I had the gun apart I noticed that on the bottom of the barrel, back of the receiver where the stock fits and on the left side of the bolt, there is stamped "M.N.S." I do not know what this stands for and cannot find what it means. Is it someone's initials or does it stand for Molybdenum Nickel Steel? This is the oldest model 12 I have as the other four are newer 1927-1947.

Now I don't claim to know everything except to my wife and kids and they believe me........riight! Twisted Evil
Robert
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

M-more
N-nonstandard
S-sixteens------------------- Embarassed Embarassed Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil If it is stamped in the metal vs scratched/awled or otherwise I am guessing it is the approval stamp of the maker for pressure.
22-250
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:17 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
M-more
N-nonstandard
S-sixteens------------------- Embarassed Embarassed Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil If it is stamped in the metal vs scratched/awled or otherwise I am guessing it is the approval stamp of the maker for pressure.

Like I said, the gun not being a 16 ga is the downer. Crying or Very sad
It is definatly stamped and it looks as if it is one stamp instead of separatly stamped letters with periods. The reason I wonder if it's someone's initials is that my grandfather was an oil tool blacksmith in that time period of the early 1900's. He built rotary drill bits for the oil rigs and he would stamp his initials on most of the parts and the finished product that he made. Also there are other proof marks on the barrel.
Robert
walt lister
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:58 am  Reply with quote

According to Madis' Model 12 book ( bottom of pg 44) these were markings for the steel mill that the nickel steel came from.

22-250
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

walt lister wrote:
According to Madis' Model 12 book ( bottom of pg 44) these were markings for the steel mill that the nickel steel came from.

Thank you Walt! That will keep me from scratiching a hole in my head. Laughing Interesting that they would stamp the provider of the steel. Now I'm curious about the name of the steel mill. Thanks again.
Robert
Kivaari
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:04 pm  Reply with quote

Definitely a nickel steel gun... and there are those who believe those thinner nickel steel barrels made for the best pointing pump shotgun ever made. I think your 25 confirms that for you.

Congratulations..that gun will last several lifetimes.

sks trigger master...www.kivaari.com
over 3,000 trigger tunes one at a time
NRA Endowment Member
Life Member Texas State Rifle Assoc
My best friend: tri-color Fr Brittany