16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  CSD16 for 1 1/8 oz lead load?
Chukarchaser
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

I have had great success loading the CSD wad in 20 ga. Does anyone load it for 16 and what do you think? Any good loads you can recommend?
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

I prefer something with a cushion section whenever possible. The Claybuster WAA16 replacement wad easily holds 1 1/8 oz. of lead shot, is cheap and plentiful, and doesn't require hand slitting of the shot cup. I have a bunch of PT1680 wads that are very similar. I use them for steel shot and have a very convenient wad slitter, and it's still a pain in the butt. I wouldn't bother when other more affordable wads are available that don't require slitting or fillers (CSD holds 1 1/4- 1 3/8 oz if I remember right). Also, the thicker wad elongates the shot column and may be somewhat counter productive since it's like squeezing things down to a long 20 ga. charge. I won't get into the science of that here, but you are better off using other wads.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:02 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar makes some very good points , and I'll add that I don't recall ever seeing any data for the CSD wad in 16ga . There are better wad choices for 3/4 oz to 1 1/4oz lead loads in the 16ga.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:02 am  Reply with quote

Call or email Precision reloading,they will give you any data available.
Chukarchaser
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

There is 221 days till Nevada Chukar season so we have plenty of time for wad slitting. I have already done and loaded 2 bags of the CSD 20 and they are worth it. You can also buy them pre-slit from Precision Reloading. I’m also curious as to the elongated comment as the CSD isn’t nearly as thick as the PT series which I agree is way too thick for lead. The CSD isn’t too much thicker than a Winchester or Remington wad. It does hold way too much but the felt used really seem to work way better than a cusion section. When I look at the bottom of a CSD 20 after being fired the bottom has no pellet indentations and the sides aren’t bad and that’s with 1 1/8 ounces. I’ll be at about $12.50 per box which $7.50 less than any 16ga you can buy where I live. I’m also trying the SP16 and Z16 but will report back on these. I will definitely call Precision and see what they have because the data is pretty sparse for this wad. Right now I’m looking at 1 1/8 oz going 1260 with a 1/4” 20ga felt being pushed by blue dot.

Someday I might get over this non-too was kick and go back to the Remington SP wads but will try them another couple seasons. They seem to be doing really well the last two here.

Thanks

Hunt Chukar, Live Longer
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:45 pm  Reply with quote

221 days until chukar season. I don't count the days this early...too depressing!