16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Better than watching the Raiders lose (again)...
nossman
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:17 pm  Reply with quote

Took Rusty and the Verona out for a Chucker hunt at one of the local preserves (Quail Point Hunt club) today. The sun was shining, temps in the low 40's, and a light breeze. Used Remington GL's 1oz. #6's, with IC & M chokes in the gun. We worked two 3-bird sessions, on a 5 acre field. Due to some personal issues, this was only our 3rd hunt of the season. As soon as I let Rusty off leash, he went right to work. He was quartering well, and trying to hold his points. The second bird made it kind of rough though. It just didn't want to fly and Rusty could only wait so long before he would pounce on it. I must have seperated them and kicked that bird 4 times, before it would fly. I'm not sure who was more upset, me or Rusty. Evil or Very Mad With 3 birds in the bag, we took a break, got some water and treats, while they planted the next 3 birds for us. After the break, Rusty was dialed in. He went right to work and even quit chasing the sparrow hawks (it's about time). We made short work of the 2nd set of birds and decided to call it a day. We still need to work on whoa and holding those points, as well as retrieving the downed birds. He seems like he wants to retrieve, but then decides no. He at least picked up two of the birds, but then dropped them. Sad And the Verona. I really enjoy hunting with and shooting this gun. Cool
After the hunt, while we were resting and eating some lunch (kind of getting ready to head out), the guy from the field across the way came by on his way to his truck, and gave Rusty some nice compliments. He also had a male Brittany that was about 6 months older than Rusty and said that his dog had also quit retrieving for awhile last season, but is now retrieving all birds, including his first double on Quail today. Hopefully Rusty will start retrieving the downed birds again as well. All in all, it was a good day. Hope to be out again next weekend.
sprocket
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:36 am  Reply with quote

that even sounds better than watching the Pats win!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:16 am  Reply with quote

Noss, one of my fondest memories will always be of watching Jim Plunkett lead the Raiders in soundly thumping the Washington Redskins in the 1983-84 Superbowl--one of the biggest Superbowl upsets of all time. Jim has been a personal hero of mine since his old Patriot days. He is a living example of how one overcomes adversity and hard luck, by staying the course and believing in ones own talents regardless of public opinion.

It was on one of the crispest coolest days I can remember from my time in Orlando, Fl.. I had been out ,quail hunting on a sizable piece of palmetto covered property that I and one other person had permission to hunt. I'd had a good day having bagged my limit of quail and a handful of dove to boot. I stopped into a small sports bar noted for its good pizza to eat, have a few cold drafties, and watch the game.

The 'Skins were the overwhealming favorites with a solid team led by John Riggins-"Riggo" to his fans, and one of the best running backs ever to play the game. Plunkett was leading the Raiders, a team made up of a mix of game hardened veterans and some fine young draft picks. The Raiders had scrapped their way to the bowl with some of the roughest tactics any team had ever used. They fit their logo that year for sure. However, being a team in the process of rebuilding, they did not get the resopect they deserved, and the odds showed it.

Not being one to bet on sports, I don't know why I did it, but I began taking bets with all the 'Skins fans in the place. Perhaps it was the insults they were leveling at Plunkett. I was pissed. He did not deserve what they were saying. I'd watched him struggle through his years at FoxBoro without any kind of decent offensive team except for John Cunningham. I saw him pounded week after grueling week by defensive teams who would just waltz through the Patriots line to issue punishment on him. He always got up, shook it off, and went right back to work. The team was a pity, but Jim always somehow shined through. One of the best thiongs that ever happened to him was being traded after Patriots management heaped all the blame for the losing record on his shoulders. It was one of the worst injustices I'd ever seen. So I took bets from all commers at odds of 7 through 10 to 1. Everyone in the house thought I was nuts, including myself, but I was compelled by a force within me I could not resist. I took in over $150 worth of bets, all I had on me including my tab money. If I had lost, I'd have been in deep trouble unless one of my opponants took pity on me and covered the beer and pizza.

Well I want to tell you, once the Raiders took possession of the ball, the game was never in doubt. They just plain pounded the Washington defensive line with pass after beautiful pass, mixed with some of the nicest runs I'd seen in some time. They almost shut Riggo completely down. It was glorious to behold.

After the game, and after the bets were all payed and the tab covered, I walked out of that bar with over 1350 bucks worth of winnnings, and the congratulations from the bar maid for having such loyalty and faith in my man Jim. She was from New York, and just adored Broadway Joe Nameth, but allowed that Jim Plunket was probably a better quarterback when it came to skill and knowhow. I did too. I had the money to prove it. It was one of the best days I've ever had from beginning to end. Go Raiders!!!
nossman
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, I remember that game. Wild card playoff team Wins Superbowl!

It's all about draft pic's and rebuilding, once again. Tis a vicious cycle.
Highcountry
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

A day in the field with your pup is always better than a day on the couch watching (insert here) on TV. Very Happy

One of the best quail hunts in TX that I ever had was on New Years day. I could have been home watching the meaningless games that I would forgotten who played a week later, instead made a hunt which was the turning point of two my younger dogs hunting careers.

Hc

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

Noss, its about leadership. Any team management staff can get talent. All it takes is money and a facts sheet. Only a strong, smart leader or leaders can coodernate, motivate, and direct all that talent into a cohesive force to be reckoned with. The recent Pats teams, among others, have proven that. Red Aurbach of the Celtics did too, and Casey Stengel of the old Yankees. The list goes on and on. Remember Plunket. He was the fire that lit the 83 Raiders up and led them to a winning season--and what fire it was.
nossman
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

Yep, he lives up the hill (North Shore of LakeTahoe). One of his helmets & jersey's are autographed, and on display here in a local pub. He is also still very involved with the Raider organization. If I stay up late on Saturday night, I can watch the Silver & Black show, which Jim is a regular on.
nossman
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:15 pm  Reply with quote

If it works out right, I'll be hunting on both x-mas eve, and the day after x-mas.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

Noss, if you ever get to meet the man, please shake his hand for me and tell him what I said--that he's a great man, and a courageous one for all that he has been though and all he's overcome.

Not many folks know that both Jim's folks were deaf. Jim learned Amislan as a tyke to communicate with them. He was devoted to them all his life. He's Also N.A., and a fine example of how to succeed in the face of the odds to many young underpriveledged, disillusioned young folks. He is the real thing.

However, say it quietly, because he is also a very humble and self effacing man. but in his heart, he will be glad to hear it. He deserves to. Thanks, I'll owe you one.
DDawg
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:33 am  Reply with quote

What are raiders????
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:12 am  Reply with quote

Big, bad losers! Oakland Raiders pro football team who have a 2-12 record so far this season. With 2 games to play, it could get worse.