16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Favorite pointing photo.....
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:09 pm  Reply with quote

My new hunting friend Dave shot some photos on a recent hunt. He captured Jaeger in a nice point. Thanks Dave! FYI......Dave has a beautiful Pointing Lab that helped us with the birds, and he also carried a vintage Browning A5 on this hunt......in 16 gauge! Wink

The other pic is from yesterday. Yes, finally, snow in California.

AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:52 am  Reply with quote

Very nice point and good looking dog. I love the anticipation when I am walking in to kick the bird up.

Mike

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:38 am  Reply with quote

Yup, but he don't look too happy posed sitting on the table with his rump in the snow. Laughing

I can here his thoughts," Hey boss, snap the damned picture. My butt is turning to ice. Geez, the things these guys make us do to show their friends."
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:52 am  Reply with quote

Actually, he loves the cold weather and hates the hot days. He was more concerned with getting back in the field than a cold ass. It was interesting how much harder he hunted in the lower temps.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:05 pm  Reply with quote

Typical German breed. My Hiedi would rather hunt than eat. Well.. maybe, hunt first, then eat. Actually she loved to do both, but to hunt first definately. She would hit the ground ready and declare blitzkrieg on the birds from sunup to sunset. Laughing Same about weather. It was never too cold to hunt, or too snowy, or rainy, or whatever. She also pointed like yours, nose right at the bird. None of this head high, guess where the bird is crap for her. You absolutely knew. Just look down the line of her nose. You gotta love 'em.
nossman
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:49 pm  Reply with quote

Nice looking dog! My young Brit is working down that same path. He prefers the cooler weather (better for scenting too) and when he goes on point, theres no dought where the bird is. Where were you hunting?
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

High Desert Hunt Club. Fantastic terrain (and lots of it), quality birds that my friend says are as close to wild as he has seen, and a huge population of wild Valley Quail. With no exaggeration, I probably see at least 200 almost every trip. Only 1.5 hours away, it's given me the opportunity to get Jaeger on alot of birds his first season. I also hunt Quail on the public land up in the same area. The terrain up there makes you forget you're in damn California.
nossman
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

I grew up down there. Hmmm....It's been awhile since I've been down South (other than two real quick work related trips). I think it's been 16yrs. since my last visit.
I'm working Rusty on preserve birds this year (crp land). Next year, we will focus on wild quail & pheasant on public land. Then back to the preserves after Jan.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

Good looking dog---here in Illinois we call that "frost" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

Hoa.....
That's what we used to call it in Michigan too! Laughing