16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16 Ga. Semi-auto
Ray-citori
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:45 am  Reply with quote

John Browning's ghost will probably haunt me for this but I just don't like the looks of the A-5. So I wrote a letter to Beretta suggesting they chamber their A-400 in 16 gauge. I'm sure with my letter in hand the engineers at the big B will get on that right away Rolling Eyes Laughing
Coyote Crusader
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:40 am  Reply with quote

I’d trade my 12 ga A-400 in on it in a heartbeat!

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:47 am  Reply with quote

i just can't see paying what they want for an Auto these days. It's shocking. The things are made up of a few stamped or machined parts produced in total automation. There is almost zero handwork involved in making one of these guns, just a little assembly that takes not much time. Love the autos or not, the guns should cost less than half of what they do. I'm surprised that more people don't just buy an old 11-48 and spend the rest of the money they saved on bird hunts.

Ray-citori
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:55 am  Reply with quote

Wyo, I wish I had an argument for you but I don't I just really like the A-400 I have in 20 gauge, so to get one I have to pay. I had a 12 ga A-400 but the 16 Citori took it's place.
rdja
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:46 am  Reply with quote

I have an A-400 in 20 gauge and that gun really just feels like an extension of my arms. But then again I tend to shoot a lot of semi auto Berettas. It was my 2016-2017 go to pheasant gun and did not seem to miss, I know it was all about fit, but love that gun. However, this year I have been shooting my 16 ga Beretta Silverhawk SxS at the preserve pheasants, and just as effective. I like the simplicity, and nostalgia of the SxS but cannot take anything away from the A-400. In 12 gauge I prefer the Extrema 2 (previous model) Beretta to the A-400.
In new guns- a top of the line semi is still a lot cheaper than a top of the line OU.

Personally, I think the high price of semis can be partially attributed to the cost of engineering, creating a new system, or just adapting one so to avoid patent laws.
Plus is a free market the cost of something has little to do with the "value" it has, or what people are willing to pay.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

I'm not so sure we can rightly compare a top of the line auto to a top of the line O/U since the O/U folks will take the art/engraving/stock portion of the show much further knowing that there will be a few people willing to pay for tedious handwork. It does seem that "grade for grade" the two have aligned in price pretty closely, even though one takes more work to build.

I have fiddled with the A-400. It's a nice firearm, even if a bit pricey for an assembly line gun. But like stated, that seems to be the trend today and people are paying it. One thing is for sure, no matter what you pay, if you keep any gun long enough it becomes a bargain!

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:45 pm  Reply with quote

IMO there's very little that can be done with the third shot, so I prefer to stick with a break action two shooter, which prevents the need for all the action/magazine stuff. But then others like autos and pumps, and that's fine. I like diversity.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

AM , since the limit has dropped and the birds are scarce at Standing Rock , I agree with you more and more ... my 1st trip out there , I would have had my 5 birds from one spot except that I long shelled in my M12 short chamber and jammed a shell in there good ! 5 or 6 more birds in close and personal with a jammed shell ! Got my 48 Sportsman right after I got back , on GB , 150 bucks in cherry condition . Now it goes with me sometimes and the Davis ALWAYS goes !

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

I am a two shot and two choke kind of guy. I don't want the hunt to end too soon and I really hate loosing 16 ga. hulls. Even so, there are many, many times when stragglers popped up during a chukar hunt and I would have used that 3rd shot if it was there and even wished that it was.

rdja
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:54 am  Reply with quote

I use the third shot a fair amount, and not just for "hail mary" shots.
I have killed several ducks on the third shot. Have tripled on geese twice, yes that was in one volley. But to me the biggest reason for the third shot is a quick shot at a cripple on the water.

All that being said, I still like hunting with my SxSs, variety is the spice of life. Laughing
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:44 am  Reply with quote

one of the truly EXCITING things in pheas hunting is getting into a flurry with a double with the kick back feature , with no ejector !! By the time you get empties out and new loads in , even the gun is sweating !

Bobsthedog
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:24 am  Reply with quote

Ray-citori wrote:
John Browning's ghost will probably haunt me for this but I just don't like the looks of the A-5. So I wrote a letter to Beretta suggesting they chamber their A-400 in 16 gauge. I'm sure with my letter in hand the engineers at the big B will get on that right away Rolling Eyes Laughing

They probably will send you a free one just for the idea. Smile

I would have thought that berretta would have made one for the european market, I wasunder the probably mistaken understanding that the 16 ga was quite a bit more popular elsewhere than here is the USA.

I pretty much quit hunting with semi autos 20 years ago. there are some used remington 1100s and 11-87s arround, and pretty cheap in general. I too share your ho-hum opinon of the A-5. Besides being ugly, heavy and hard on a small framed shooters shoulder, at least compared to other semis, they are more expensive than they should be for what you get.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:46 am  Reply with quote

IMHO, way too much is made about the differences between semi-autos and O/U or. SxS’s, from a shootability/effectiveness point of view.

I own all three styles in both 12 and 16 Gauge.

My choice is the semi-auto.

Two chokes (or two triggers)In a hunting situation (Clays too) I see no advantage. You are talking about 2-3” of effective pattern size. That ends up being 1” to 1 1/2” of a bigger pattern that you can kill a bird with IF you centered the bird in the first place.

Let’s say you had a bird get up at 35 yards and you pulled the trigger on the tight choked barrel and you missed.....what have you got left.....not much. It’s like starting out on a turkey with the loudest raspiest call you have, when the bird turns what have you got left to turn him around......not much.

The third shot, in my opinion is for the times that another bird gets up late, which isn’t most of the time and isn’t a consideration for me. Many times I only load 2 shells.

Now the difference in workmanship is a totally different story. The 2 barrel guns are far ahead in that category. Then again I real don’t care if I am carrying a machine or a well disguised machine, first and foremost it has to work. Doggone, I love my repeaters.

They are much easier in the recoil department. Cool Cool

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:40 am  Reply with quote

I didn't like the looks of the new A5 the first time I saw one. It just looked wrong with the torx bolts and bare, long aluminum receiver. Then in the midst of searching for another 12 ga. auto that could crossover pheasants the 6 3/4 pound new A5 camo model seemed to make sense to me, so I bought one. Shot it we'll on both ducks and pheasants, so here I am now with three different A5's (including my SW16).

As far as using autos, I have multiple shotgun personalities which I'm sure is a disease. But I enjoy them all. I have four 16 ga. SxS's, three 12 ga. OU's (soon to be 2), and my three autos, and I enjoy each and every one for different reasons.

Last edited by double vision on Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:24 am; edited 3 times in total
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:54 am  Reply with quote

QUESTION:
For those who use autos and pumps in the field.
What is your procedure for picking up fired hulls?

I drop a marker from where I was firing, I then go collect
the bird(s), if the bird is not located right away, I drop my hat there.
Then concentrate on finding the bird, that effort being made, I then go back
to the marker and collect the hulls.

Mike