16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16 Ga. Semi-auto
kgb
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:15 am  Reply with quote

I mark where any bird went down then look for the empties. The dog does a better job of finding downed birds than I do, and I can always step in and jack things up for him after collecting plastics.

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:22 am  Reply with quote

I just do my best. Bound to lose a few.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx

The hat drop works for me.

bobski
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:14 am  Reply with quote

sign of a successful gun is if its still around 40-50 years from now.
or should i say, still working and parts are still available.

Range Owner: Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:54 am  Reply with quote

bobski,

1962 vintage 16 gauge 870. It is going with me to the NSCA Northeast Regional @ M & M this spring and see if we can't get a punch or two in the pump event.

Killed two beautiful Tom's with it last May and plan on doing that again just before the Northeast.

I'd say that gun meets the qualifications.

4setters
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

Ditto, Skeettx. Same here on finding hulls (and dead birds) when using a semi-auto. Unfortunately, one never finds them all in the thick cover I often hunt. That hurts when it's a Win CF!

My Citori has ejectors of course. In the heat of the moment with slow flushing birds I sometimes lose a hull or two with it in the rush to eject them and cram more shells in the chambers! The good news is, the hulls are not 5 or 6 feet away, like they are from a semi-auto, but near one's feet!

Regardless, the lose of a hull every now and then is worth it! Now, if I could just train my dogs to hunt "dead empties" after they find "dead birds." Idea

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:38 pm  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37, 2"-3" in pattern size difference between chokes? Was that a misprint? I know with my DS 16 the right barrel's skeet choke throws a much broader pattern than the left barrel's improved modified. There really is something to having two chokes, just like there really is something to having a third shot. I have done things both ways and both offer something that the other doesn't. I suppose there is that three barreled shotgun if person absolutely wanted it all.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

Wyo,

If you look at a pattern from an effectiveness point of view, the effective pattern is somewhere between 18” and 23”.

What choke does is change how dense the 21” core is. The more dense the core starts out the farther out you can effectively kill a bird or target. The correct term is central thickening or the ratio between the 21” core and the outer 21” to 30” annular ring. When the ratio gets to about 1.5:1 core pellets to annular ring pellets you are getting to the point where you need more choke.

The golden bb’s lie outside that 21” core and can’t be relied upon to effectively kill game or targets.

This is not something I dreamed up, this is something you will see in print from E.D. Lowry and Dr. A.C. Jones. Tom Armbrust has sent me many documents using central thickening to analyze patterns.

This is further backed up using E.D. Lowry’s Shotshell Ballistics for Windows program.

double vision
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:37 pm  Reply with quote

Like Nick used to say, "work the core, baby, work the core.."
tramroad28
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
QUESTION:
For those who use autos and pumps in the field.
What is your procedure for picking up fired hulls?

I drop a marker from where I was firing, I then go collect
the bird(s), if the bird is not located right away, I drop my hat there.
Then concentrate on finding the bird, that effort being made, I then go back
to the marker and collect the hulls.

Mike

If I was shooting doves and the like then I would pick up the empty hulls.....otherwise, the act is a very low priority.
If I do see a hull lying happy and it is mine or a stranger then it might go in the pocket as a memory....more than fretting over it’s label as trash or reckoning that I am saving the environment in the stoop.
Seems such a waste to worry over empty hulls in the grouse woods or even in prairie switch and broome.

Actually, I enjoy finding the remains of an old paper hull or even a plastic hull....shows that someone was sharing what I find valuable.
I can imagine any number of scenarios for it’s drop and left and, there are so many far more important issues afield than left behind shotshell hulls...so many more.

Moderation has value in more ways than eating cheeseburgers.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

To be honest, I look more at how many places in the pattern a bird might have slipped though or been a likely cripple then adjust accordingly. It is possible to have a broad pattern that isn't broad because of fliers. Now if I am shooting blue grouse at 15 yards, yeah fliers count. I won't get into all of that here since this is getting to be tangent to the topic.

Truth be known, I wish there were lots of 16 ga. autos in use so I could find more empties while out hunting! It doesn't happen often.