16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Spring Break
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:11 pm  Reply with quote

Something happened today that ties a lot of thoughts that I have struggled with together, something encouraging no less. What occurred? Well that's getting ahead of the story slightly so I will begin with our troubling times.

It should come as no surprise to anybody when I say that a lot of attention and scrutiny falls on those of us who hunt or own firearms right now. It never seems to end. About the time things quiet down, somebody stirs the pot again and many of us wonder just what the future holds for us.

Recently I have taken the time to familiarize myself with two of Gene Hill's earlier books. A couple of chapters read as though they were written last year or last week; the subject being the future of gun ownership and hunting. The books were published 1972 and 1975. Solomon was right, there really is nothing new under the sun; still.

Here where I live in a tiny and mostly quiet little Wyoming community, one small enough to have no traffic light and mostly dirt streets, our local youth are on their annual spring break. Today was a remarkably mild day, enough so that I actually opened a couple windows for an hour or so. Soon I heard young voices outside and looked up from my project. Four young men of about 12-14 years of age were strolling up the street carrying air rifles/ bb guns. Someone's little brother tagged along enthusiastically. They were all staring up high into the cottonwood trees that line the streets. I sure hope they intend to shoot my starlings.

Anyway, I thought about how few places in America there really are where this quartet of Daniel Boones (and little brother) could leisurely hike through town with their air guns, unhindered as if it were no different than a couple of kids with a basketball. Then I thought about the fact that in spite of all that has been going on in the press and society that these young men are driven by the same outdoor urges that appealed to most of us long, long ago. I must say, it warmed my heart. Who knows, I may have been watching my future hunting buddies pass by today. Hopefully, they too will someday know and understand the bond of close friends telling stories around the campfire after a good day of hunting.

[[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53746_1024x683/] [/URL]][/img]

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:35 pm  Reply with quote

Attitudes change, particularly in some areas. In 1970 in preparation for my dad's annual hunting trip from California to Iowa I drove into downtown San Francisco. Parked a few blocks away and walked to Roos Atkins (then a quality sporting goods store). Nothing out of the ordinary except I was carrying, uncased, a Weatherby Mark V. I took it into the store, put it on the counter and told the salesman that the scope (a Weatherby Imperial) had been fogged and it either needed repair or replacement. It was replaced with a Leupold variable guaranteed not to fog. a week later I again drive into "the city" parked a few blocks away, got the rifle and walked with it, uncased back to the truck. In retrospect it is interesting in that not one person gave a second look, or even a surprised first look. It was just some 20 something walking along with a rifle. No big deal - somehow I think it was receive a different reception now.
jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:12 am  Reply with quote

The year was 1952 and I bought my first shotguns at 12. Shortly thereafter I stood outside of a bank in Southern California with my new shotgun, action open of course, while my mother transacted business in the bank.
The bank patrons coming in or going out paid me no attention. I wouldn't do that today.

I currently live a few miles outside of a town that is slightly bigger than the afore mentioned Hudson, WY and during the hunting season, rifles and or shotguns can be seen in the racks of P/U's driven by HS kids as they go to and from school.

My hunting buddy is a retired school official and while I don't remember the details, he designated one of the HS parking lots "off campus" to allow the kids to keep their firearms in their vehicles while they attended classes.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:35 am  Reply with quote

we have a genuine conundrum working here in NY ...on the one hand is the kids marching on TV . On the other is our growing youth shooting sports . Year before last , a school activities director approached our gun club about sponsoring a school trap team . YOU SAY WHAT !! genuine ! It's kinda complicated getting them registered , but he ended up with the 5 he needed and they shot all 5 shoots in the worst weather ever ! The goal was to get our team to make the 5 needed for the state reguirement - ended up with 19 teams ! This year we got a 2nd team from another nearby school , and will have 52 kids shooting on 2 nites . All of a sudden , the kids are coming out of the woodwork ! All the clubs are trying to get teams , all vying for any school . Still not easy as some schools aren't convinced they should get involved with gun "things" , but they are getting pushed in that direction ! 3 years ago , you couldn't get a kid out to the clubs . Now , we need help with providing shells and birds . Thank you NRA grants ! ... not your roving gang on BB guns , WYO , but maybe next year !!?? ps.. this is just trap so far , but a few of the counties are getting trap , skeet , sporting combos for the kids .

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:39 am  Reply with quote

16 Gauge Davis,

Fantastic to read that the kids are now back to shooting, in your area. Long ago I helped start a Rifle Team in our high school, the kids loved it and had a ball. Most of all they learned about the weapons they were using, gun safety, and proper use. Some of those kids are now NRA instructors.

Unfortunately Viet Nam took a few to many of them also. Our age group is passing away and we definitely need all the younger generations to understand what the 2nd Amendment really means to this country. As Charlton Heston said "The door to freedom is framed in muskets." He was not joking.

We need the US Constitution taught in all public schools again, IMO the Hillsdale College Constitutional education course should be a mandatory part of every high school curriculum. If students do not pass the course, they should not graduate.

The US Government is not using the draft right now, a very big mistake. Young men today fail to understand the price of freedom, and how the 2nd Amendment provides the means for that freedom for home defense, eliminating tyrants inside our own government and protecting our country from it's enemies both foreign and domestic.

Participation in the Shooting Sports and Hunting, is just part of our 2nd Amendment American way of life here in the greatest country on earth.

Where Freedom Reigns, that is my home - Ben Franklin

Men give their very lives to keep it that way, their guns are the tools of freedom.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:36 am  Reply with quote

I might add that I drove out behind town where people go to shoot. It's not a range but just several pull outs from a dirt road where a safe backstop is provided by the terrain out on BLM lands. I was looking for unbroken call targets (yeah I'm cheap and bored) and 16 ga. hulls. I scored 15 targets that I will reuse soon and I even picked up nine 16 ga. hulls (the tenth was squashed by some truck).

Around the corner, at the most popular shooting spot, two teens were whacking away to targets with their AR's when I drove past. They burned up a lot of ammo practicing while I was up the valley. It's good to see so many young guys shooting these days.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:38 am  Reply with quote

jschultz, I take it you live outside Meeteetse. I love to fish up that way when the two reservoirs thaw. I've been thinking of making a run to Newton lately as well.

jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:51 am  Reply with quote

WYO, Nope, I'm between Basin and Manderson on the Big Horn River and I've never fished Neuton Reservoir.
Speaking of School trap shooting, Our HS has a trap team.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:35 am  Reply with quote

Newton is tricky but worth it when you "crack the code". I am guessing you may recognize some of my photo locations.