16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Tick Season
jschultz
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:01 am  Reply with quote

Annie picked up her first Tick of the season.

The Tick was on her chest but not imbedded. For the next few months and after every outing she will get a thorough inspection before she comes into the house.

For what ever reason, our horses get a bunch of Ticks every year. One day I removed 27 of the blood suckers from one of our horses.

Anyone else have a tick problem?
mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:40 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:50 am  Reply with quote

I had my 3 year old GSP, Rebel, come down with a tick borne disease called Ehrlichia earlier this season. It was difficult to diagnose, but luckily I have two friends who both had previously had the disease and were adamant that it was Ehrlichia. The vet's blood test was inconclusive (prone to both false positives and negatives), but she prescribed a heavy 30 day treatment with Doxycyline and it cleared up the infection with no lingering symptoms.

My buddy described the symptoms as your whole body, including your fingernails and hair hurting all the time and being extremely sensitive to any touch. That sure does match up to what my dog was exhibiting.

I have Rebel on Nexgard for flea and tick control, but the vet said the tick must bite to be killed and that one bite is enough to get the Ehrlichia infection.

Savage16
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:25 am  Reply with quote

Up til last year,deer ticks had been bad here in MN. Some spots I go in central mn were just infested. For some reason, last year was just the opposite. Remember only one here and there. Hope it continues.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:52 am  Reply with quote

I hear you about Minnesota. I go the western Minnesota each year in early summer and won't even take Rusty along with me. Walk 30 feet through grass and the there will be ticks crawling on you. Interestingly enough, ticks won't stick to Gore-Tex or its copies. It's Teflon fiber. My breathable waders are 100% tick proof. My old waist highs make great rain/ tick pants with built in cuffs that seal tight around boot tops too. I just trim the neoprene feet off, leaving about a 1" band of neoprene and the built in gaiter/ gravel guards to keep crud and ticks out.

Mike, I have never tried Advantix. Do the ticks immediately leave the dog or die later?

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:59 am  Reply with quote

Mikey C , is that stuff sold locally at our outdoor stores ?... how do the flea/tick collars work ... lots of fleas and the occasional tick here and at the cabin .

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:32 am  Reply with quote

Here in CT I have never had any type of tick collar or repellent keep ticks off my Brittanies or my GSPs. Complete waste of money, We have a real tick issue when you get away from the CT river valley. Picking 30+ ticks off a dog is pretty routine after a hunt and I have just stopped hunting in those tick infested areas. These are the deer ticks that are tiny and carry Lyme disease. Needless to say my dogs are vaccinated against Lyme.

I have never had any amount of ticks bother my dogs in IA, KS, NE or SD and have never used a tick collar or repellent in those places either. The only ticks that have been on my dogs in the mid-west have been the brown dog ticks and darn few of them. I have been hunting out there since 1993 and have only had a 6-7 ticks in all that time.

Griffon
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

Southern to Mid Maine, Bangor area is tick infested. Deer Ticks are our Lyme carriers. Seems to be worst at the coast. There are reports of Lone Star Tick in Maine now. Picked a deer tick off me yesterday.
Bravecto works well on my dog. Might try some myself.

Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:21 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
Mikey C , is that stuff sold locally at our outdoor stores ?... how do the flea/tick collars work ... lots of fleas and the occasional tick here and at the cabin .

I lost a dog to a tick borne disease about 6 years ago. It did not get diagnosed soon enough and by the time we figured it out it was too late to reverse the problems it caused which were primarily to the nervous system.

At the time he contracted it I was using one of the liquid applications. Initially they worked and then it seemed the ticks developed a tolerance for the stuff and I would start finding imbedded ticks on my dogs. I went through Frontline, Frontline Plus, Advantix and Vectra 3D. None of them would work for very long. They may have improved the formulas since then.

Then a vet I bumped into while hunting in the U.P. suggested I try Seresto collars, and for the last seven years I have not found one imbedded tick on my dogs. The Seresto collars are slick and last 5 to 8 months depending how much time your pooch spends in the water. Parts of the U.P. have a lot deer ticks, especially down by Menominee and they are becoming heavy over by Ironwood. Nasty little buggers.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Gil S
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:20 am  Reply with quote

Seresto collars for my dogs as well. When hunting, they come off. Water dilutes effectiveness despite claims to contrary. My dogs are hunting wet areas. Once in the crates and heading home and reasonably dry, the collars go back on. Every now and then I find a dead tick on my dogs. I use Sawyers Tick Clothing Spray for my clothes during hunting seasons including turkey. For tick removal, ProTick tool works for me. Gil
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:38 am  Reply with quote

Gil S,

Where did you get the Pro Tick Tool?

Gil S
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:44 am  Reply with quote

I buy the six pack and give to friends. I keep it in my wallet.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=PRotick+remedy+tool
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:59 am  Reply with quote

Thanks

mike campbell
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:48 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:57 am; edited 2 times in total
rdja
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

Lots of folks on the reliever boards I frequent like the Seresto collar. Personally I have gone to Bravecto. Kicks the ticks a$$. Last spring we were working on fertilizing the trees near the pond. Our Jack Russell had a great time in the drainage area, we had to give her a bath she was so nasty. I am pretty good at feeling ticks but did not feel anything when I bathed her. The next morning my wife found 6 dead ticks in the dog's bed. We still don't know how long a tick has to be attached to spread disease. Depends a lot on the disease, some are only transmitted as the ticks regurgitate to release, some can be transmitted in 2 hours of attachment.
When in an area that I am strongly concerned about ticks, I will spray my dogs down with my wife's horse fly spray (Permrithin) (labeled for dogs too) to try to get some repellant activity.
There are getting to be more and more diseases from ticks, one, a virus that makes you allergic to red meat for a while or possibly for life. So be sure to protect yourself as well as your dogs.