16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Double triggers

How many trigger fingers on a double-trigger gun?
Just the one, no problems at all
84%
 84%  [ 39 ]
Just the one, but the middle finger does hurt after a while
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Two triggers, two fingers, no problem
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 46

SmokeyBuck
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:17 am  Reply with quote

I was just thinking on the way into the office....

Both of my guns are double-trigger, I had no problems migrating from the previous single-trigger guns, there was no concious effort at all to slip the fore-finger to the second trigger after the first shot.

However, every now and then the middle finger butted up against the back of the trigger guard gets a good pounding and is sore for a couple of days afterwards. I've tried laying the middle finger alongside the trigger guard, but only resort to this when the pain starts distracting me (or the potential for more pain), because only two fingers wrapped around the stock doesn't feel quite as secure.

So I though I'd do a poll, having seen someone else using the fore finger on the first trigger and the middle finger on the second trigger. Seemed a little dangerous to me, with the possibility of a accidental discharge of both cartiridges....

Your comments and thoughts are as ever welcome

I might add though, there are days when I have no problems at all, so it might just be my grip and mount needs to be more consistent Rolling Eyes
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:06 am  Reply with quote

I shoot about a dozen different SxS's with two triggers. I only use one finger, and have never had my second finger banged up from the trigger guard. My problem is, when I shoot one of my kids single trigger O/U's. I'm reaching back for the second trigger on the second shoot. Sad

fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:21 am  Reply with quote

The first vote for two triggers/two fingers is mine; I hit the wrong button Evil or Very Mad Then I revoted as "one finger, no problem". Sorry Embarassed !

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
carpe dm
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:49 am  Reply with quote

I'm a "one finger" guy. I mistakenly tried two once and wound up with a much bigger "boom" that I was expecting..... Embarassed

Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:15 am  Reply with quote

SmokeyBuck,

I have the same trouble; I've heard it occurs with smaller hands and I've seen "pads" that can be placed on the back of the trigger guard to help mitigate the problem. I screwed up one of the tendons in my trigger hand when I was a kid, so I can't straighten my index finger when my wrist is at certain angles which I'm sure is what messes me up.

After having my middle finger perpetually swollen (great for giving emphasis in some finger gestures) I took a piece of heavy leather I had laying around and made a "ring" that extends on the distal (fingertip) side as an "L" shaped guard. This follows the natural bend of the middle finger as it rests against the back of the trigger guard yet lets me to straighten or bend the finger as desired. Works great.

I don't know that you want to tighten your grip too much; seems like I've read in one book or another, with a straight grip, the [foreward] hand on the splinter is the one that should firmly hold / direct the gun to the target, and the [rear] trigger hand lightly holds the gun and pulls the trigger(s).

I can send a pic if anyone wants to know what this "ring" looks like.

Primrose Path
A Hunters Fireside Book
- Gene Hill
SmokeyBuck
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:38 am  Reply with quote

Sebascodegan

Funny enough, I was just wondering if my loose grip was allowing the gun to move too much in my hand and causing the trigger guard to strike the finger, as oppose to a tighter grip meaning the hand stays on the grip as the gun recoils and it doesn't happen.

I'm assuming it's happening because the trigger guard is larger on a double trigger gun and the distance from the back of the trigger guard to the first trigger is greater than on a single trigger gun.

Plus I've got short stumpy fingers Confused
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:59 am  Reply with quote

I shot a Baikal O/U with two triggers with two fingers. Cut, bruised, and other wise abused my middle finger.

I energetically dis-recommend shooting two triggers with two fingers Smile

Mike

Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

Pretty simple leather guard that works well for me. I'm sure it could be made much more nicely, but here's the idea:

Primrose Path
A Hunters Fireside Book
- Gene Hill
jig
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

Funny, I had no formal instruction as a kid. I was just handed my grandpa's Ithaca 16GA with some shells. I already completed firearm saftey training. So they just through some shells at me and said you have to shoot this. They got all the modern guns cuz they were older. So I didnt know any better and just automatically thought it was a two finger deal - just made sense to me. Plus my hands were so small backe then that they fit in their no problem, and you know what? They still do. Why change when I'm in the habit and it has never hurt me? Only one time when I was about 14 did I pull both triggers simultaneously on some quail. It wasnt too big a deal. In fact, I don't recall it recoiling much more than normal which shows just how recoil insensitive I was (and am still). So I'm a two finger guy.And I think it's an advantage big time.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

What VERY LITTLE double gun shooting I do is with gloves on and the fingers making just enough contact not to loose control of that trigger.