16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Shotgun weight
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

The Book of Gun Specifications -- Whaddya mean lost! -- it's in The Dead Sea Scrolls, for cripes sake! Wink
JNW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

Looks like I'll have to brush up on my Aramaic
AteUp
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

Duckup... well put! I don’t fall into either camp all the time , so many areas of grey. Why is it we have to choose black or white and the if your not with me you’re against me and you’re wrong mentality. [/quote]
gunflint charlie
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:07 am  Reply with quote

Hey Danny, I've been away from here for quite a while ... glad to hear you found another nice 31L!

You sent that BPS Upland down the road? Somebody got a helluva nice one of those IMO.

Finally ... nobody made nobody editor-in-chief (or other kind) for this board. Kinda like it that way too. As for OPINIONS, I find myself agreeing with WyoChukar on just about everything here. Wink
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:35 pm  Reply with quote

I didn't read this entire thread, but got the gist that most folks consider guns > 7lbs to be heavy for a 16ga.

Got me thinking, everyone talks up the "Auto 5 Sweet Sixteen", and my new one is 7.65 lbs. With that particular gun being such a popular and historic 16ga, I'm kinda surprised that I don't see more folks mentioning it as a fine weight for a 16ga.

I've been shooting mine for skeet for the last month, maybe 10 boxes through it now, and I can say that it is now one of my very favorite guns to shoot-- the weight, swing, aim and fit all seem to be fantastic for me, and I shoot it very well. While it's certainly heavier than my 20ga or 28ga guns I normally use for a 6 mile upland hike/hunt, I think that it will be just great for the more stationary passing dove and duck hunting I bought it for.

My Mod12 16ga is 6.54 lbs, and I've never minded carrying it on long upland dove hunts, though I'll admit the 5.5 lb 28ga is easier... but I'm not sure I shoot those lighter guns as well really, so don't mind the extra weight when it translates to more success.

Unfortunately for me, I shoot right handed but am strongly left-eye dominant... I have to close an eye or lately am using a dot to cover left eyeglass lens. The result is that I have NEVER been able to shoot a side by side gun worth a darn--the wide plane somehow makes my brain switch eye focus back and forth much more than an O/U or single barrel, and I just don't hit anything. So all of the talk on here of the light SxS older guns it seems so many guys here like, just washes over me as not-applicable. When I look at the single barrel options (Auto5, 11-48, M37, Mod12, 1100, BPS, 870 etc.) they all seem to be on the heavier side of 6.5-7.5 lbs.

Anyways, just thought I'd comment in the weight thread, that at least to me, and probably a lot of other guys, 16ga doesn't equate to SxS older guns at all, and so I'm used to maybe a bit heavier option. Sorry if I missed someone already mentioning it, but what would folks say is the lightest single barrel modern (i.e. no concerns about reloading the full SAAMI range) 16ga option out there?
Newtonian_Guy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:09 pm  Reply with quote

Location: The Great Rustbelt, otherwise known as Northeastern Ohio

Riflemeister wrote:
The beauty of different guns having different weights and handling qualities is that it actually encourages having different guns for differing purposes. I have a nearly 10 pound 12 ga Citori with Kolar fitted sub-gauge tubes for my primary skeet gun. I have a BT-99 for 16 yard singles trap. For bird hunting I've come to prefer 16 ga SXS's weighing 6 1/2 to 6 3/4 pounds in deference to the nature of carry a lot, shoot a little bird hunting, yet able to easily digest my western bird hunting Fiocchi Golden Pheasant shells. An exception to that preference is my Mearne's quail gun being a 5 pound 14 ounce SKB-100 25" barreled quick handling wonder to deal with those fast flushing birds that hang out right on the fringes of those scrub oak side canyons. What would be the fun of having just one gun for everything?

Unfortunately my Model 100 SKB with 30" tubes weighs 7 pounds even. It has been modified with a higher comb for trap. 16 yard line smoker! But only used as a back-up gun for the Upper Peninsula of Michigan for Grouse.

My Franchi Falconet weighs 6 lbs. But is whippier than the SKB. Long range Pheasants.......SKB all the way.

Still waiting on my Ithaca NID and Fox Sterlingworth to come in. Both in 16 bore.

I did pick-up and handle a sveldt and light French 16. 5 pounds 12 ounces at Shooting Stars in Ohio.

Too much light CAN be a bad thing.

In handling and in recoil.

Be careful for what you might wish. You just may get it.

In spades.

Shocked

Zavasta M75 16 Bore
Ithaca NID 16 Bore
Fox Sterlingworth 16 Bore
Franchi Falconet O/U 12 Bore
2 Antonio Zoli Field Grade 12 Bore
Ithaca Model 100 12 Bore
Newtonian_Guy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

Location: The Great Rustbelt, otherwise known as Northeastern Ohio

jbusch720 wrote:
To me, weight is not important. Certain guns just have the right "feel". I have guns that weigh between 5 lbs. 8 oz. and 7 lbs. 3 oz. All of them feel similar and are in the same ball park for measurements. There is a lot of talk about balance on the hinge pin, but I can say with certainty that I shoot better with the weight slightly forward of the hinge. Balance is often overlooked in favor of weight and barrel length. There are 26" barrels that balance like 30 inchers on another gun. Finding what works is fun...

My SKB 12 bore has 30" tubes and weighs 7 pounds, but balances on the hinge. I am not one for long barrels but this beast seems to fit me like a glove. I don't even notice the extra length when swinging the gun. That is the best testament to a gun manufacturer. When 30" feels like 28" when handling and swinging the gun. I am afraid if I take this beast to the Grouse coverts that I will blow them apart with a regular 12 ga. shot load.

My Franchi, on the other hand, is one pound lighter and is an O/U. What I have been used to shooting for the past 3 decades.

Crush it to the shoulder, ram the head down onto the stock and pass the barrels past the bird. BOOM! Dead bird.

But I dream of someday being able to go to the UK and hunt a traditional rough shoot. Got to have a SxS.

SKB is too heavy for the amount of walking you do on an English hunt.

For peg shooting, the SKB would be fine. Actually would be excellent.

Walking...........Ithaca NID or Fox Sterlingworth in 16 bore.

Let them see American double guns that were the prime in their times.

Zavasta M75 16 Bore
Ithaca NID 16 Bore
Fox Sterlingworth 16 Bore
Franchi Falconet O/U 12 Bore
2 Antonio Zoli Field Grade 12 Bore
Ithaca Model 100 12 Bore