16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Got to shoot the model 12
bigric
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

I finally got to shoot my 20's vintage model 12 that my brother-in-law and wife bought me for Christmas. It's just like shooting my great-grandfather's; it's a great feeling.

Out of about 50 rounds, however, I had two discharges when I closed the bolt on the second round. If anybody has any thoughts on that (worn sear, etc.) I'd like to hear about it.
DDawg
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:19 pm  Reply with quote

Hey, I don't want to sound like a arce, Very Happy but, I am. The model 12 does not have a disconnect for the trigger. If you hold the trigger back; the next round chambered will fire upon closing the bolt. It was a WWI military technique. Shocked Done it myself. Take your finger off the trigger between shots!!! Good luck.
Mod 97
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:09 am  Reply with quote

Slam Fire.

Try shooting trap doubles that way some time. It's tough to pull the forend back and pause while lining up the 2nd bird before slamming the action closed!

May not be the safest activity in the world . . .

NR
bigric
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:29 am  Reply with quote

I'm bringing this back from the dead as I'd like to start using this gun more and haven't because of its tendency to slam fire, regardless of where my trigger finger is. Do I need to find a new trigger group, or does this one just need a good cleaning or something?
kennedy756
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:19 am  Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my Ithaca 37, I thought maybe my finger was on the trigger even though I tried to make sure it wasn`t, turned out there was a burr on the firing pin from peening, removed it and no more slam fires.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:05 pm  Reply with quote

It sounds like a very good cleaning is in order. If that doesn't do it then as Kennedy said you probably have a bad firing pin or spring. Either way it's a cheap fix even if you take it to a gunsmith. If you do it yourself parts will be available on Ebay or Numrich Arms. Good luck.
Mike
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:58 pm  Reply with quote

No Model 12 should slam fire. Not supposed to, but sometimes they do, especially older ones. I'm not sure why -- a wear issue? Feel free to enlighten me if you can. It's happened to me a few times with various Model 12's over the last 55 years.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:02 am  Reply with quote

Tony , all pre 64 M12's slam fire . There is no disconnect from the trigger when pulled and action cycles . As soon as the action closes again , away the next shot goes - and the next and the next if the trigger is held back . A gunsmith here had the original patent (disconnect)and Winchester decided to NOT retro . If you know for sure your finger is off the trigger , there are 2 possibles . A broken FP or a broken return spring that can hold the FP extended out . If that's the case , it's an issue that needs addressing as the gun can simply go oiff any time the action is closed and whatever direction the gun is pointed . (all the newer Browning copies have trigger disconnects and won't slam fire - the trigger groups are NOT interchangible - tried it !)