16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  German/Austrian Sideplated action guns??
16'er
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

Good evening gentlemen,

I’ve been on a search for a Sauer sidelock 16 for a while now. In the search, I have come across a few of the German and Austrian sideplated guns. Anyone here have any experience with these guns? I gather they have vertical mainsprings, and tend to be game weight guns.

Here’s a lightly engraved example of the action I’m referring to:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/770418615

Any guidance is appreciated,

Thanks.
Savage16
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:45 am  Reply with quote

Interesting gun for sure. Wondering what the purpose is of the little tab on top of the sideplates that fit into a recess in the receiver?

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:46 am  Reply with quote

Germans did not make a lot of sidelocks, period. Austrians made a few.
The sideplated guns one does find out of Germany and Austria, like this one, are really just sideplated boxlocks. This particular gun is the basic Anson & Deely boxlock, the design of which continues to be used, modified to accommodate the sideplates.
One would have to take off the sides to see how the mainsprings are set up, but I'm guessing they're horizontal leaf springs like other A&D boxlocks.
Thieme & Schlegelmilch was a quality maker out of Germany. This particular gun appears to have been accurately described and in better-than-good condition, considering Thieme went out before WWI and it is therefore over 100 years old. Interestingly this one was set up as a left-handed gun - note that the cheekpiece was removed from the right side of the stock. Not that common.
IMHO, not unfairly priced, but it is optimistic. If I was in the market, and pending in-hand inspection, I'd like this gun at 800, and probably still like it at 1000. As always with sxs, buy the barrels - we don't see the muzzles and we don't see the bores, so we can't know whether it's as shiny as the seller represents, nor whether they've been honed or polished.

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:51 am  Reply with quote

Savage16 wrote:
Interesting gun for sure. Wondering what the purpose is of the little tab on top of the sideplates that fit into a recess in the receiver?

It's twofold - for alignment purposes and as the kind of little detail that shows you - because it fits so well - how good the craftsmen were. Kinda like the head of the stock on a scalloped boxlock.

J.B.Patton
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:03 am  Reply with quote

Sideplated boxlock attributed to Edgar Strempel / 16 gauge ejector sourced from Simson and Schilling forgings~ early 40's est./ Sauer three ring steel tubes.

http://s731.photobucket.com/user/thatvoodoothatyoudo/media/Simson%20R_zpsoxkfs9fp.jpg.html?sort=3&o=8

http://s731.photobucket.com/user/thatvoodoothatyoudo/media/Simson%20left_zpssws0yrpp.jpg.html?sort=3&o=12

http://s731.photobucket.com/user/thatvoodoothatyoudo/media/Simson%20bottom_zps6ufmpeyj.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5

Best Regards,
JBP

Last edited by J.B.Patton on Tue May 15, 2018 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
steve f
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

We don't see that many of the really high grade Sauers over here. This site has some good examples of nice Sauer guns.

http://sauerfineguns.com/category/gunroom.html
16'er
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the input and pics. Those Sauers are stunning. Not looking for a high grade, but a carried field version. It will be a shooter after all.

I found a sideplated boxlock that has nice engraving and fits most of the parameters, but trying not to get distracted. Time will tell...