16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  How much does modification impact the value of Model 21
Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

If a Winchester Model 21 is professionally modified to shorten the barrels to 24” and install briley thin wall choke in one tube, does it reduce the value much?

skeettx
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

About 50% reduction in value

Mike

cowdoc87
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

21’s are really soft right now anyway, but I agree with Mike- if you want to sell it, it will really limit who would want it, but it only takes one fool Smile

RLR390
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

I would say a modification of that nature would reduce the value a lot more than 50%. 24" barrels are good for what? Nothing as far as I'm concerned.
Beagleman
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Depending on the condition now, having that work done to your mod 21 will cost you at least $2-3000 plus the cost of the work. BUT only if you sale the gun. It's your gun and if that's how you want it configured and don't care about resale.......They are nice, rugged guns that were meant to be used.
I had one years ago until someone came along that liked it a lot more than I did. Good luck with your decision!

slowpokebill
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:48 pm  Reply with quote

I think a 50% reduction is a pretty low estimate. It now has zero collectors value.

It is shooter and an odd ball one at that. There are darn few buyers out there looking for a 24 inch double. of any make. Most buyers would not even consider a 21 with barrels cut short unless they can absolutely steal it.
jswanson
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:56 am  Reply with quote

As I tell my grown children, getting my money back out of anything is not my problem but theirs. After all don't most of us have one way doors on our guns safes?? If this is what you want go for it, lifes to short as it is. Very Happy Very Happy

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:03 am  Reply with quote

I once had a chance to purchase a 21 16ga. 28" for 900.00$ I asked why so cheap. He said the chokes were altered up by a well known gunsmith. Before alteration the gun was sold for 6950.00. I turned the gun down. I wanted it very much. He couldn't get rid of it. I seen him couple years later and asked if he sold the 21. He said he sold it at an auction
Got 550.00 for it.
I don't think a lot of people wanted to be associated with an altered 21 unless it was done by Winchester. Kinda like putting a stock engine in a formula 1 racer.
Just saying. But what ever makes your boat float.
dannypratt
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:54 am  Reply with quote

If you want a Winchester 21, and you own it already, and you dont give a hot about ever selling it to redeem your dollars spent....then I'd just do whatever youd like.
In the final analysis, a gun is a tool. If that's what it takes for you personally to get the most fun out of it, then why not.

I really enjoy vintage shotguns. I like high condition, non modified examples. However...I hunt with all my guns. I've purchased a few at incredible savings simply because a nicely installed non factory recoil pad was added in its past. Not my first choice, but then again, if it's at original LOP with the pad, etc, I've found that just makes it that much more comfortable to shoot.

Shortening barrels is a little different for me though. I've had it done due to pitted metal or damaged muzzles... not my first choice...its only happened twice, both guns I got for a steal because of the issues. I dont have either one anymore...made money on both of them. BUT...they weren't model 21 winchesters either.

HOWEVER....its your gun...do what floats your boat. If your keeping it, who cares. Its ultimately just a tool.

dannypratt
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:59 am  Reply with quote

I will add this one other thing.

You bought a Winchester Model 21. You paid big money for it, whatever it cost. More money then is reasonable in the first place. It's a Winchester, not a Purdey. Dont get me started...

That said, why not just hunt another up that's the choke combo your looking for and get that instead. The gun you have, unaltered, is worth a bundle anyways, just because of a W and the 21 stamp.

bobski
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:40 am  Reply with quote

no matter how hard you try to hide it, cut bbls will have a gap at the muzzle end. its a deal breaker during a sale. but if its your gun...you can do whatever you want.
the more 21's that get chopped, just increases the ones that aren't.
some people look at guns as tools. some invest in them. you must pick the camp you want to sleep in....or wander between camps in a fog.

Range Owner: Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo
JNW
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:04 am  Reply with quote

Dannyboy,
You’ve got us all intrigued - tell us more. Is this a gun you own or one you’re considering buying? What gauge, number of triggers and ejectors? Engraved?
Briley thinwalls, as great as they are, decrease the value of a 21 by thousands. However, cutting the chokes on a tightly choked 21 won’t bring its value down nearly as much as indicated above. I’ll buy all the $950 M21s you can find.
If this is a regular old 12 gauge with a single selective trigger it’s worth about $2,000 and finding a buyer will be tough. Not too many folks looking for an 8lb grouse gun. Barrels are the heart of a shotgun and long barrels are worth more. This gun is probably worth more in parts. Forend irons, wood, triggers, trigger plates and trigger guards have value. If it’s a 20gauge having Kirk Merrington sleeve longer tubes on it would be an expensive option that would make it a shooter. A 30”, or better yet a 32” 20 would be a hell of a gun.
Jeff
mart
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:12 am  Reply with quote

While I don't understand why a guy would want a 24 inch double, I fully support doing as one wishes with ones own guns. I never understood why we hold guns so sacred, especially model 21's. The Brits think nothing of having choke and barrel work done to doubles that far exceed 21s in value.

Most model 21s, as well as Model 70s in odd chamberings and Model 71s, go from one collector's safe to another, rarely seeing the light of day or being put to their intended uses. Or they go from a collector's safe to a pawn shop when the family vultures descend upon the collection upon the passing of the owner.

I am suffering some castigation right now for the thought that I might have a Beretta 410 10 gauge choke tubed. It came from a friend when he passed. He had traded me out of it and we always ribbed each other about who got the better trade and I was always trying to buy it back. He left it to me and I intend to hunt it but in it's current state of full and tighter still, it is pretty limited in it's application. You can probably imagine the howls of indignation over my suggestion that I get it tubed.

It's your gun. If you wish to configure it to suit you, fully realizing its "collector" value will be compromised, then have at. Use it, enjoy it and then pass it on to someone else who will use it and enjoy it and not leave it languishing in the back of a safe.
rkittine
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:21 am  Reply with quote

With what it will cost to do that and what it will do to the value, I would just buy a CZ SxS for less then the modification cost and shoot the heck out of it and keep the 21 Pure.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
JNW
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

Well, we don't know if this gun exists in the stated condition or if this is just a consideration at this point. Most guns get the barrels shortened due to damage at the muzzle. If the OP really wants to have a 24" choke tubed 21 then go ahead. I don't consider M21s holy relics like some people do and I modify all my guns to make them better for me. This is disposable income and I excel at disposing of it. I'm a shooter, not a collector. I hacked on a Ruger Red Label so much I'm pretty sure I couldn't sell it and may not be able to give it away, but that's not what I bought it for. I made it my own, just because. I've seen a guy put a Perazzi barrel in a tree and bend it to make it shoot where he wanted. It worked and he had a gun he liked.
Regards,
Jeff