16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  How much does modification impact the value of Model 21
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

mart wrote:
While I don't understand why a guy would want a 24 inch double...

Read Gene Hill's "The Woodcock Gun." I think of it every time somebody mentions a short barreled gun.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
rdja
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:25 pm  Reply with quote

I bought a nice 21, 12 ga from a guy in my gun club. 30 in barrel, ejectors. Mod and full chokes, nothing super fancy but a good gun. Had a hard time getting used to it trying to shoot 5 stand targets at 20-25 yards with those chokes. So, I watched for another that was not as nice and more affordable, got one and had Briley put thin walls in it. Now it shoots 5 stand great, shoot about as well as I did with my semi-auto. I plan to duck hunt with the first gun and use the second one for clays, and maybe a hunt in a nasty area.

Of course they both have double triggers. Wink

Bought up some 2 3/4 inch Bismuth shells on sale at the end of the season. But now I think the fixed choke gun has 3 inch chambers. Found a technique on youtube on how to measure chambers. It measures right at 3 and the gun with the choke tubes measures 2 3/4. Oh well 2 3/4 inch shells should be just fine if I do my part. Gong to have a gunsmith measure just to be sure.

Now got my eye out for a 16 ga, however, my Beretta Silverhawk shoots pretty darn nice.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

I once bought a cheap Springfield 24" double at a gun show. It was a 12 with fairly heavy barrels, so even though it wasn't exactly whippy it just handled weird.
John Singer
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:25 pm  Reply with quote

If one cuts the barrels on a SxS, will they still shoot to point of aim?

It seems to me that good doubles are regulated and such a modification may require re-regulating the barrels.

JNW
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

rdja,
Could you post a link to the youtube vid on measuring chambers?
Don’t M21s have the factory chamber length stamped on the barrel flats?
Jeff
rdja
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:26 am  Reply with quote

Sure thing, I'll look it up. The "Duck" guns have 3in stamped on it, but neither of my 2 21s have anything about the chambers stamped on the barrel where they usually are. Nothing I can find under the barrels either.

They are 1934 and 1935 made guns. The nicer one that I plan to hunt with has ejectors and they one with choke tubes has extractors. Not sure if that is related to chamber length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iyF20o-Jb8

Last edited by rdja on Fri May 18, 2018 7:40 am; edited 2 times in total
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:32 am  Reply with quote

OK
Dannyboy175 was the OP, but no mention from him yet on
whether his question was answered
Mike

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:02 pm  Reply with quote

I have always thought this whole original value bit was somewhat silly. My dad sold a model 21 2 barrel set (20 ga.) back when they were still affordable. Some guy wanted him to take less money since the recoil pad was Pachmayer and not Winchester. Dad told him that he wouldn't sell it to him at all at that point. If the guy had simply made an offer, he might have ended up with the gun, depending on the offer of course.

Ironically, some of the greatest Win 21's where Pachmayer customs. It is odd that it somehow magically matters whose hands actually turned the screws and fitted the parts, as if some other talented craftsmen wasn't worthy of working at the factory had he or she been born in the right place at the right time. It's kind of an insult, especially when their work is actually better than original. But alas, I am unable to change the way things are viewed amongst collectors and therefore will continue to look for "butchered bargains" that I can make my own. I am not in the habit of selling the guns I like.

duckdup
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

fin2feather, like your comment.
Read Gene Hill's "The Woodcock Gun." I think of it every time somebody mentions a short barreled gun.

I like 25-inch barrels (& hunt with them).

Good imagery bobski, "wander between camps in a fog". Cut barrels don't have to have a gap if you use the right smithy.

Tubes is tubes. Tubes within tubes is still tubes.

Hope everyone finds their perfect gun & lots of happiness...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
Dannyboy175
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:24 am  Reply with quote

Actually this is a gun for sale at a Cabela's gun library. Below is a link. Based upon the feedback above, I'm going to pass. I don't have the kind of money that can throw it away on something that may not hold any value.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/gun-library/winchester-gun-library|/pc/103792680/c/103589280/winchester-21-16-ga-/2711599.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fwinchester-gun-library%2F_%2FN-1103078%2B4294758085%2B4294713057%2FNe-4294758085%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103589280%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU