16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 ga screw in chokes choke tube
robp
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

I have had Mike O install Colonials in a 410 and a model 90 20 gauge they are ok the 410 is a Charles Daly and the 20 is a marlin 90 I use for dog training
I have brileys in a couple model12s beretta 686,merkel1620 ,AYA #2 and a A5 I prefer the brileys
Another option is the shotgun shop in MO. Kirby says he can do choke tubes in anything I have not seen any of his work but am thinking of sending him a 410
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

robp wrote:
I have had Mike O install Colonials in a 410 and a model 90 20 gauge they are ok the 410 is a Charles Daly and the 20 is a marlin 90 I use for dog training
I have brileys in a couple model12s beretta 686,merkel1620 ,AYA #2 and a A5 I prefer the brileys
Another option is the shotgun shop in MO. Kirby says he can do choke tubes in anything I have not seen any of his work but am thinking of sending him a 410

Kirby Shoup has had the barrels from one of my 16 ga Ringnecks since 2010 and I can't get him to return them. Briley handles all my choke installation jobs now. Use Kirby at your own risk, his work is good, but I will never use him again.

tdnathens
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:56 pm  Reply with quote

I had the bores matched on several of my O&U guns. This lets me use the same choke tubes in both barrels for the constrictions needed.
Tom
robp
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:00 am  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
robp wrote:

Kirby Shoup has had the barrels from one of my 16 ga Ringnecks since 2010 and I can't get him to return them. Briley handles all my choke installation jobs now. Use Kirby at your own risk, his work is good, but I will never use him again.

8 years what are you doing with the rest of the gun? That sucks I'd be temped to drive out and get my parts back
rp
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

Rifelmsister,

I believe I remember you talking about his long ago, man I though you finally got your Barrels back from this guy and everything finally worked out.

Bummer! This kind stuff is why I use Rich Painter and Freddie Brunner when anything has to be done on my good L.C. Smith Double Guns. Both are great Master Gun Makers and both are very reliable. You might consider using them for any future work you need done.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:49 am  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Hammer bill,

You maybe correct about Briley no longer making full length sleeves, my #2 L.C. Smith that had this done to her, permanently made the 1889 #2 gun into a 28 Gauge. When I asked Briley if the inserts could be removed from the beautiful high grade Damascus Barrels, I was advised that it would be impossible, the barrels would be destroyed. The gentlemen at Briley also made the comment that this particular permanent full sleeve work was no longer being done. I did not question whether it was just the kind that was done on our gun, or all guns in general.

I often thought about the Titanium tubes for my Citori 28/20 Combo Gun, I sold her to pick up another good L.C. Smith before it happened however.

I hope that the 16 Elsie you put Briley thinwalls in, was a later made Field Grade Gun!

Pine Creek/Dave

Dave, my tubes switch back and forth from my Citori & Elsie. 16/28 . However I shoot my 26" citori mostly. Even though the tubes are titanium it still makes the Citori feel heavy.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:40 am  Reply with quote

Hammer Bill,

Now there is a nice screw in choke idea for having both the Elsie and the Citori identically choked.

Got to admit, even my Citori 28/20 Combo gun seemed a little heavy to me, with the changeable screw in chokes. Never going to put screw in chokes in any of my good L.C. Smith double guns. The later made 28 Gauge Marlin/Zabala L.C. Smith with the screw in chokes does preform very very well however, especially in the Grouse woods. Wish Marlin would have contracted UGGIE to make a true side lock reproduction L.C. Smith 28, with the Brown Rotary Bolt, trying to keep the cost down was a big mistake IMO.

The Screw in chokes with the new L.C. Smith 28 does work very well, makes for great repeat patterning, there is no denying that.

Pine Creek/Dave

Below an original American made 1926 L.C. Smith 20 gauge, Above it the L.C. Smith made for Marlin by Zabala in Spain, 28 Gauge. The original 1926 Hunter Arms L.C. Smith with Beaver tail fore-end is actually the lighter double gun, and has the True Brown Rotary Bolt, both guns are SST engineered.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53951_800x600/] [/URL]

Bobsthedog
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

I hate to state the obviuos but, Kirby Shoup has either lost or worse yet sold your barrel to someomne else, or you would have it back by now. Nice to know, will never use him. This use to happen a lot before the internet, when gunsmiths mysteroiusly took years to fit work into thier schedule. part of the mystic of why they charged so much for what is 99% simple high school shop class machine work. taxidernists use to be that way too. Guys like Mike orlen and the guy at skeets in OK are showing that quaility work can be done fast and relatively inexpensively.

I have tried to not rile anyone up but, I think its silly that i could go buy a 1980's production BSS and have screw in chokes put in it and almost no one would raise an eyebrow, but buy a field grade LC Smith for $600 and OMG what sacrilidge!!!

I currently have two 16 ga LC Smihs and soon to have third, if i get the deal worked out tomorrow. I bought them both within the last 4-6 months on GB and have no more that $1300 injvested total for both guns, including FFL and shipping fees. Basically the only SXS that could have been purchaased for less than the most expensive on of the two is a Yldiz. I got tired of late seaon quail and my 20 ga, and dont care to carry the 12 all day anymore.

Niether of these 16s wieghs over 6.5 lbs.

One is a 1948 gun with MOD/FULL 50% case color and 80% blue. No cracks in the wood, and it may have been glassed. It wieghs a wopping 6.25 # loaded. If i get the new LC tomorrow this gun will likely get sold at some time in the future.

The other was bought for $325. 1930, 3 position safety, 2-9/16 chambers, F/F. No Case color left, stained reciever, 75% blue, and a terible, but repairable stock. This gun will get the stock fixed, glassed, chambers lengthed, forcing cone leghtned, and prefferable screw in chokes. This gun will be the daily all weather go to gun. long range pass shooting doves to close tight cover quail.

The gun I hope to close on tomorrow is a few grades higher
duckdup
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

Bobsthedog, I'm agreeing on the chokes in a classic are fine. They are not all going to be museum specimens.

Those quality guns of yesteryear were made by people that wanted to make the best shooting tool for their customers. If the advances in metallurgical science and steel shot mandate had come around 100 years sooner, you wouldn't need to retrofit an LC or any other classic.

Happy shooting...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

BobtheDog,

I do not know where you picked up a 16 Gauge L.C. Smith Field Grade for under $900.00 today, let alone a 1930's Hunter Arms made gun for $325.00 in nice shape. Here in Pa and in most other places they go for a lot more money, because all the serious Grouse hunters still want them. The 2 1/2" SpredR Shells hold fantastic patterns out of them, no need to alter the Chambers.

Let me know when you want to sell the later made 1948 Hunter Arms L.C. Smith 16. We just might work up a deal on her. I have a youngster I want to start in the right direction, come Grouse season.

Yes it is a sin to put screw in choke in a good L.C. Smith Shotgun, especially a 16, now that SpredR shells are available. Just to reproduce the Brown Rotary Bolt in those guns today, it would cost around $5000.00.

Your L.C. Smith with the (Double Sided), 3 Position Safety and 2-9/16" Chambers maybe older than you think, check the SN and see.

Pine Creek/Dave

L.C. Smith America's Best - John Houchins

Purchase John's L.C. Smith - The Legend Lives Book, and read for your self about America's Best Side Lock Double Guns.

Purchase Double Gun Videos, presents, The L.C. Smith Side Lock Shotgun, with Master Gun Maker, Nick Makinson and see why it's a sin to insert screw in chokes in any L.C. Smith Shotgun, no matter the Grade.

A 16 Gauge 1913 L.C. Smith Field Grade Double Gun, with Krupp 30" Barrels, DT, Brown Rotary Bolt, French Walnut Wood. Choked IC/M - Simply a great Bird Gun, no Screw in Chokes required. The only difference in this Field Grade and the incredible Pre-1913 A2 L.C. Smith Double Gun was the Spangler Flur De Lee Checkering and the Kraus Engraving. All the other L.C. Smith engineering is identical, and made to the same exacting standards.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53953_800x600/] [/URL]

451whitworth
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
robp wrote:

Kirby had one of my 16ga guns from Oct. 4, 2012 until August of 2014. I called for the 1st time in August of 2013 to see if it would be ready for the Sept. 1 dove opener. He hadn't started on it. Called again in April of 2014 and he still hadn't looked at it. I told him that I'll just come and pick it up. When I reminded him that he had had the gun for 1.5 years he didn't believe me, him thinking that I had dropped it off in Oct. of '13. I said "no, I left it with you in Oct. of '12". He said he would get it done that summer and he finally did. Good work and fair price but geez. I live only 20 minutes away from him but that was my only and last dealing with him.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

451witworth,

Next time you need some work done use Rich Painter in Economy, Pa. Economy Gun Smithing on the Net. He does outstanding professional work, and you will get your gun back in a reasonable time period, at a decent cost.

The gun you see in the above post is a 16 gauge L.C. Smith 1913 Field Grade that Rich Painter installed a set of original Krupp barrels, from the Hunter Arms era, on for me, when the guns was damaged. This kind of work takes a Master Gun Maker with plenty of experience, I got the gun back in more than reasonable time.

Pine Creek/Dave

Keith Hayes
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:20 pm  Reply with quote

I rescued a M12 Heavy Duck 12 ga early this year that someone had cut the VR barrel back to 20". I sent to Mike Orlen on a Thursday and it was back on my doorstep the following Friday. I couldn't be more pleased with his work. Would highly recommend if your shotgun is a viable candidate.