16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Wanted to buy: Sauer Sidelock 16
16'er
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

Looking for new to me bird gun to debut the fall season with. Would very much like to have a JP Sauer sidelock, from the early part of last century. Not looking for a high grade or collector’s condition gun, but one to carry to the field. Will primarily used over pen raised birds, for training bird dogs. Gun will get set down in the field and exposed to field conditions.

Will most certainly entertain a vL&D marked Prussian/Sauer gun or similar. Field grade in worn but honest working order is fine. I’m ok with short chambers also.

Please let me know if you know of a Sauer sidelock 16ga for sale. Much appreciated!

Have been looking for a while now, but not seeing much out there. As some of the 12ga guns are in the low 6# range, I’m tempted to go with a 12 bore gun if nothing comes up.... Gasp! Of course as soon as I cross to the dark side, my dream gun would invariably show up in spades.... please help keep me on the enlightened path of true 16ga purity!
J.B.Patton
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:09 pm  Reply with quote

mikeej99 on Gunbroker has a 12 ga Krupp & a 16 ga (Manhattan Arms- made by Sauer) Damascus available.
Been on there awhile ( like all his guns) so make him an offer....
Best Regards,
JBP
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:20 pm  Reply with quote

And ask for better pictures, his are always too dark
Mike

16'er
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve seen the mikeej99 guns, and one of the twelves is tempting. The 16 Manhattan is a bit on the heavy side for me.

My current two bird guns I usually carry are 6-6.25 lbs, and I’m interested in staying in the 6ish range. I like both my Ugartechea boxlock and the FN hammergun just fine and they both get the job done nicely, but I’ve got the German itch now and want something with a bit of class. Besides my drahthaar needs a properly appointed hunting partner.

Missed a few decent enough deals recently. One was a bit of a project in 16, the other was an open choke 12 with very good measurements. The waiting continues for something closer to my wants. As the desire to acquire should be wisely tempered with the ‘needs’...
J.B.Patton
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:46 am  Reply with quote

This one looks promising if you can get by the checkering & the pad ( both issues easily addressable).

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/shotguns-european-double/hauptmann-ferlach-sle-16ga.cfm?gun_id=101035115

Best Regards,
JBP
16'er
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

Found a 16ga Sauer hammer gun after all. Took me better part of a year. 1910 Falke model from Simpson ltd. Should be able to pick it up next Friday, I'm hoping.

Gun looks good in pics and Salesman was helpful with all my questions. I need to shed a few inactives from the safe to help finance, but have been meaning to do that anyway.

I did pick up a project 16ga Sauer hammer a few months ago, but this one from SimpsonLtd seem to be in good to go condition. I'll try to post some pics when it's in hand. Que the Tom Petty...