16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Remove wad pedals for fixed choke
PatrickB
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

My go to loads use the SG16 wad. With my vintgage doubles I want the chokes to perform as intended. I'm hoping to avoid fiber wads so curious if an alternative is just to remove the SG16 wad pedals? Its not clear to me if removing the pedals is only about creating brush, sprdr or more open patterns with the choke(s) or an "as intended" fixed choke performance. Thoughts?
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:34 pm  Reply with quote

PatrickB wrote:
My go to loads use the SG16 wad. With my vintgage doubles I want the chokes to perform as intended. I'm hoping to avoid fiber wads so curious if an alternative is just to remove the SG16 wad pedals? Its not clear to me if removing the pedals is only about creating brush, sprdr or more open patterns with the choke(s) or an "as intended" fixed choke performance. Thoughts?

I've done it,didn't notice that much difference in patterns.your results may vary. I too shoot fixed choke 16's (Ithaca 37's) I've come to the conclusion that it's more fun to have a gun for each choke then to have several chokes for one gun. Laughing
JNW
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

The only way to truly know will be to build some loads +/- wad petals, then shoot some patterns and compare. What are you going to use these loads/guns for?
Jeff
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:47 am  Reply with quote

I used my spreader loads in my LC Smith at the shoot on Saturday and they worked well for me. They consisted of SG16 wads with the petals removed and the extreme spreaders from BP as well. My LC has tight mod/full chokes and the loads produce good patterns for me.
However I am considering getting some fiber wad to use rather than cutting down the regular wads.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:47 am  Reply with quote

I used my spreader loads in my LC Smith at the shoot on Saturday and they worked well for me. They consisted of SG16 wads with the petals removed and the extreme spreaders from BP as well. My LC has tight mod/full chokes and the loads produce good patterns for me.
However I am considering getting some fiber wad to use rather than cutting down the regular wads.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
PatrickB
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:39 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I'll load a few and see how they look on paper. I assume removing pedals has no PSI impact??
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:52 am  Reply with quote

I hope you like removing lead from the bores of your shotgun.

I asked a guy from England, who shoots a lot of card and fiber wad loads, how he gets the lead out of his shotgun bores. He replied that his butler took care of cleaning his shotguns!! I told him that there are no butlers at the Mastro Estate!!

If chamber pressure is affected it will be lower without the wad petals.

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:47 am  Reply with quote

I have had no trouble with lead build up in my gun since I shoot magnum shot and it is hard enough it hasn't caused a problem.
However I do use my stainless tornado to remove the plastic from the wads that I had trouble with. That is why I am going to try some fiber wads. No more trouble to use than the time spent cutting the petals off the shotcup of SG16's.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:20 am  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:
I hope you like removing lead from the bores of your shotgun.

I asked a guy from England, who shoots a lot of card and fiber wad loads, how he gets the lead out of his shotgun bores. He replied that his butler took care of cleaning his shotguns!! I told him that there are no butlers at the Mastro Estate!!

If chamber pressure is affected it will be lower without the wad petals.

Mark,
Shouldnt fiber /card loads give him "as built" choke results? They do make clean up tiresome....
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:34 am  Reply with quote

I would assume they would.

jswanson
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:14 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Ohio Wirehair"][quote="PatrickB"]My go to loads use the SG16 wad. With my vintgage doubles I want the chokes to perform as intended. I'm hoping to avoid fiber wads so curious if an alternative is just to remove the SG16 wad pedals? Its not clear to me if removing the pedals is only about creating brush, sprdr or more open patterns with the choke(s) or an "as intended" fixed choke performance. Thoughts?[/quote]

I've done it,didn't notice that much difference in patterns.your results may vary. I too shoot fixed choke 16's (Ithaca 37's) I've come to the conclusion that it's more fun to have a gun for each choke then to have several chokes for one gun. Laughing[/quote]

You are so correct about fixed chocks. Shooting Clay's is like ayi g golf you need the ring to for each shot. My rugged gear craf easily.hxs five. That's a lot of choke selection. Very Happy

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

I spoke too soon about lead in the barrel with my spreader loads. i ended up spending some time scrubbing the lead build up out after shooting several hundred of those spreader loads! However the loads that I shot yesterday at the Kansas State shoot in the side by side event shot great and I shot my best score in a while breaking 45x50 and winning my class and having the high senior(over 55) score.
I tested some loads with fiber wads and found that using the extreme spreaders with the fiber wads really spread the pattern too much! I found that just using the fiber wads with no spreader produced great patterns from my LC Smith and will be my go too load.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
sneem
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

Petals

Woody402
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

You could use brush wads. Basically what you are describing. Just the plastic wad base with the petals removed.
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

Except for the fact that nobody that I know off offers brush wads for 16ga. Ballistics products suggests cutting the petal off of the SG16 wads.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235