16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  3D Printers
duckdup
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:34 am  Reply with quote

Anyone tried making hulls or wads with a 3D printer?

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:30 am  Reply with quote

Would never consider it as long as I can buy them commercially. Kinda like I have a lathe and milling machine and a degree in manufacturing technology, but don't make parts I can purchase. I have made hammers, sears and firing pins for my SXS's to keep them shooting, but only because parts were not available.

duckdup
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

Yep, I feel that way on many products, Riflemeister.

I see it like buying a boat vs. building a boat. They both end up as a hole in the water; the high cost & time to make what you can easily buy, but shooting is a hobby for me and experiments happen... Smile

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
bbrown
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

I think the difficulty with hulls or wads being printed would actually be in the limitations of the materials that can be printed. Finding a plastic that would allow you to get a good crimp and contain the pressure is going to be a challenge. The material is probably out there, but getting it done economically would be very difficult. If you have a 3D model, companies like stratysis or protolabs out of MN have simple quote softwares that could tell you both the materials available as well as the costs. Most desktop printers that we could afford to own do not print materials that would work for this concept.

So to answer your question, yes I thought about it, then I bought a case of DR16s and some primed hulls from Grafs and got busy shooting.

Ben

1 Tim 1:15