16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 gauge Perazzi
sernv99
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

I have seen those two 16 gauge guns at PSA (via their website, not in person) and was tempted by them.

like Hammer, I like tight chokes. M/IM or M/F would be my choice.

Hammer: have you handled those two guns at PSA? I would be interested to know how they weigh.

You can order a lightweight monobloc for a 12 gauge barrel. I would be curious if you can do the same with this 16 gauge, to lighten it up down to 7lbs or one or two ounces above 7lbs.

Maybe a call to Dan from Giacomo is in order and get his take on these two guns.
Hammer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

I have not handled the Perazzis.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:50 pm  Reply with quote

I own both an MX-8 O/U 32" barreled doubles gun and a 34" single barreled TMX I use for singles and H-cap. Both are 12 ga trap models which are superbly crafted and as tight and as rugged as bank vaults--and just as heavy. The weight is typical of most Perazzi models including the 16 ga and even the 20 and 28 ga. models.

Considerable gun weight is no problem on a trap field where the swing to and through the target is minimal--even for doubles. In fact, the extra weight is a plus, since it soaks up the repetative recoil nicely thank you. We shoot gun up at targets we are calling for and expect to instantly and clearly see at our call. There are no surprizes. We know where and when for the most part, and nothing is blocking our view of the target (if our gun barrels are held in the right spot prior to the call).

However, I can't imagine carrying a typical Perazzi out in the game fields--even one of their 20 or 28 gauge models let alone a 16. Wingshooting live game birds is a different game altogether. We can't call for the bird w/ a pre-mounted gun, and we all too often don't know exactly were the bird will launch from--or even if it will get up when we expect it to. So a quick response time to and through a surprise target is all too often required. This is all doubley true in cover where we often can't see the bird clearly enough to accurately swing on it until it is well on it's way.

My best advice is to use the right tool for the job. Use as heavy a trap gun as you can manage well with plenty of forward balance to help you track through the clay targets. A nine pound 12 ga O/U with 32" barrels will do nicely (a 34" O/U barrel set may be too much of a good thing IMO). Use a reasonalby light, responsive, evenly balanced gun for game birds. A 6.5 to 7 pound 12 or 16 is ideal for bigger birds, and an even lighter 20 or 28 is fine for quail and such IMO. Why tote more than what you need for game birds if you don't have to. Just my take on it.
JT_Guitar
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:16 pm  Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread from years ago to inform those here that Perazzi is now making a very limited production run of 16 Gauge framed MX16s. I believe only 2 are in the US for 2018.

So Sweet!