16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Herter's 16 ga hulls
elmo123
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:06 am  Reply with quote

Hello,

Are the Herter's 16 ga hulls the same hull used by Winchester for their game loads, in other words can reloading data for the Winchester hulls be used with the Herter's hulls?

Thanks,

Mike
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:11 am  Reply with quote

I have both hulls. I wouldn't call them identical but they are very close.

From my POV, I wouldn't hesitate to use them for the same data.

elmo123
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:17 am  Reply with quote

Thanks
casebro
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:17 am  Reply with quote

They are both Cheddite hulls. But the Herters seem thinner than the primed hulls I bought form Graf's. Those went a dozen times, the Herters only about 5.

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
df
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:55 am  Reply with quote

I have used Win data in them.
In my experience, they’re are good for 3-4 loadings before the crimp splits.

Last edited by df on Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:55 pm  Reply with quote

easiest way to get a good look is to take a knife and trim the case down to the rim . you'll see immediately if the base wad is the same or not (or really close ).

putz463
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:19 am  Reply with quote

I load them the same and see and feel no difference in the finished shells or performance.

Square Load
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

I do not have any genuine Cheddite hulls like the ones sold by BPI or others but I have reloaded the Herters and the Cheddite version of the Winchester hull. Like others I got 3-4 reloads from the Herters and 8 reloads minimum from the Winnies so I figured the Winchesters had to be thicker. When measured with a micrometer the plastic is the same exact thickness so I guess the difference is in the quality of the plastic, with the Herters having a less durable plastic.

When you roll and squeeze the hulls between your thumb and fingers the Winnie hulls have a more pliable feel to them. Hope I am using the right word for describing them.

Would be interesting to know if the Cheddites are also the same thickness but a more durable plastic than the Herters version..

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
kgb
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

Does anyone know how many assembly lines actually produce the various Cheddite hulls? Are some tubes made in Australia, others in Europe, maybe in more than one location there? Thinner plastic bodies, different formulas, etc? I wonder if Remington just tweaked the formula of plastic used in 16ga Game Loads how much more durable a hull would we have? I toss mine due to case mouth issues.

elmo123
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:45 am  Reply with quote

I don't think that the ammo manufactures have reloaders in mind anymore like they did years ago. I can remember reading the sides of the shot shell boxes that were marked Most Reloadable Hull that just isn't the case anymore with the exception of the STS, Federal and AA hulls, the rest have a use once and discard function as a lot of other things in our society today. It's only about the bottom line and if you can't reload the hull you have to buy new shells.
df
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

elmo123 wrote:
I don't think that the ammo manufactures have reloaders in mind anymore like they did years ago. I can remember reading the sides of the shot shell boxes that were marked Most Reloadable Hull that just isn't the case anymore with the exception of the STS, Federal and AA hulls, the rest have a use once and discard function as a lot of other things in our society today. It's only about the bottom line and if you can't reload the hull you have to buy new shells.

Your last sentence is true. So the dilemma for the manufacturer is “ do I make a cheap one shot hull or do I make a good reloadable hull and hope people buy my factory loads because they are reloadable.”
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

elmo123 wrote:

Actually the new Remington American Clays and Field shells are advertised all over the place as the most reloadable hulls Rem has ever produced. Heck, it says right under the name "American Clay & Field... Reloadable Sport Loads" and on the back of box, "Superior functional quality and reloadability".

Likewise, the new Fed Gold Medal Grand hulls have advertising stating they are better quality for reloading than the prior Gold Medal.

So that's two of the big 3, and of course everyone already knows that Win AA are the best reloading hulls for 28ga and 410, not sure if it's advertised that way though.
casebro
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:53 pm  Reply with quote

I kike the Rem Clay & Field- in 12 ga.

Are they going to come out in 16?

And, I jad a bunch of purple Federal 16s in my with my Herters. They seem a lot stiffer/harder. And extract better in my M12. Ans 12ga Feds are the most popular with the folks that reload straight sided hulls.

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
kgb
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

I'd get in line for 16ga Clay and Field shells, would ruby red plastic be possible? Shocked

Gun Club are supposed to be very reloadable, could the C&F variety be different plastic in the same shell design? I've been shooting 20ga GC and C&F at Skeet in a league this year, did have the brass pull off and eject from one GC shell, only time I've had that from any shell in any gauge.

ohiochuck
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

I sent an e-mail to Remington in mid September and ask if they would be offering 16ga Clay and Field shells.
The answer was not in the current plans.
If enough of us requested it?
Jim