16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Shot from Cabela's
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:29 am  Reply with quote

I ordered shot from Cabela's in early August since my home club won't/can't carry it. Cabela's free shipping and home delivery appealed to me-but the shot is back ordered for the last month.

Anyone have issues such as this with Cabela's?

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:01 am  Reply with quote

I have never had any issues when I ordered from Cabela's. I sometimes order shot when they have an online sale with reduced price and free shipping. Especially since the nearest Cabela's to me is over 100 miles away.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
hayseed
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:04 am  Reply with quote

I just received a Wheelybird from them that had been backordered since June. Price made it worth waiting and free shipping a plus.

Not sure if this is going to more common now that Bass Pro has bought Cabelas. I personally don't like Bass Pro. Seems like nothing is ever in stock. Hope its not a sign of things to come.
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:14 am  Reply with quote

suspect they are awaiting a price drop--or some magic number of orders to get better prices. guess time will tell--not an emergency, yet.

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:23 am  Reply with quote

I too have been waiting for over 3 weeks. Rolling Eyes
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:35 am  Reply with quote

I have had things back ordered from Cabela's before and eventually they show up. But never shot, lucky that a local club carries it in bulk.

I only load the 16 anymore and then only 7/8 oz. I can get Herter shells for around the same price using a reloading calc, even with figuring hulls are free. Since getting the Sweet 16 been ordering a lot of Herter's because it takes 1 oz. to cycle it. My other guns are feeling lonely since getting the new Sweet and go through ~1k rounds a month in the summer.

Have one flat that some of the shells don't want to eject cleanly all the time. So keep the boxes from it marked and separate and use them for the second shot that way it doesn't mess up doubles if they don't eject. The shells from the other flats work fine but like to keep them separate for my "system".

Just got 3 more flats last week. First 2 flats were normal and how I always get them.

The other flat was sent in 2 boxes looks like they grabbed what ever was on the shelves and threw them in the shipping boxes. Heard a lot of rattling when I got them.

Not exactly sure what they were thinking when they packed those. There goes my system out the window. Hope that this is not a sign of things to come with the Bass Pro thing.
hayseed
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:00 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron, I would not be happy receiving that. But not much we can do as Herters is about the most economical shell to buy for target/dove.

Sure hope they go on sale soon. Been a long time and with dove season right around the corner, you would think that sales would be coming. I want to pick up at lest 5 flats when they go on sale.
kgb
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron wrote:
Have one flat that some of the shells don't want to eject cleanly all the time. So keep the boxes from it marked and separate and use them for the second shot that way it doesn't mess up doubles if they don't eject.

Interesting they walk the fine line of cycling your new Sweet. They don't always eject from my older A5, I figured it must be the case length hung them up a little but maybe it's the same issue you found.

Builder
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:15 pm  Reply with quote

Herter shells will not eject (get caught) from my 20 gauge A5. Other brands are fine. Some of my 12g. SxS get light hits on the primer and I cannot use them in those 3 guns. My Ithaca 12g. pumps will not eject all the time also with Herter shells. The shells stay in the chamber and we have to take the gun apart to get them out. My guess is the 20g. is a hair long and the 12 steel rims are a bit small.

3birddogs
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

I went to the Wheeling Cabelas last week to buy shot, and there was not a single bag in the store, or in the east coast distribution center located in wheeling also.
Maybe something to do with the new "Basselas" take over.

Stack16
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

Guys,
If you will look at the rims of the Herters vs. say RGL,s (in 16gas. anyway) you can see a difference in the L part of the brass wall to the rim portion, the RGL,s will have a 90 degree, where as the Herters have a bevel effect or slight radius in the L part causing some extractors to roll over the rim and not grasp the rim to pull it out. SXS and OU seem to have more surface contact to push on the rim with and doesn't have a problem. Hope that explanation in verbiage is adequate.

Griff

sneem
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:18 am  Reply with quote

The KC Cabela's was also out of shot recently.

3birddogs
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:43 am  Reply with quote

Wheeling WV Cabela still no shot 3 weeks later. No Claybuster 1078 12 ga wads either. Also, the only shotgun primers available were Fed 209A

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:33 am  Reply with quote

Interesting side note,if you go to their website and check it says Eagle shot is backorderable . However if you try to ask a question it won't let you. I fear Bass Pro has struck again. I can buy shot at my local gunshop cheaper but was using a gift card and points. Oh well,what can I say?
Had to edit this to say,I went to the local gunshop to replenish my stash of shot because of the wait. Good thing too because they're almost out. The next shipment is going up 5 bucks a bag from the supplier and their retail is going up 4 bucks. From 39 to 43 dollars a bag I wonder whats up?
byrdog
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:16 am  Reply with quote

I order shot from Roto Metals or Mayco Industries, delivered to my door 50 lbs in a flat rate box at about $90.00 total.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/