16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Gifted a whole case of Rem SP16
casebro
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:30 am  Reply with quote

But I can't get them to work in my Cheddite/Herters hulls. They seat too deep, bad crimp and shot rattles around. A couple pinto beans in each one is a pita.

Looks like they fit better in a Compression Formed Rem hull. But I only have those in that cheesey black, they were already splitting after the virgin firing.

Are there any CF hulls out there? Or Winny w/ the base wad that mimics CF?

Or should I further mod my Hornady 366 ( I made 16ga dies & shell plate) to take 2 1/2 shells, then cut downhulls....

Ideas?

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
John Singer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:36 am  Reply with quote

Pinto beans is how I do it.

casebro
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:32 am  Reply with quote

My hands have been bad my whole life, couldn't do the cub scout salute. That was before carpal tunnel, trigger fingers, etc. So No beans unless I come up with a bean feeder, maybe like a PEZ dispenser?

I need a hull with about a 1cc smaller volume, So shorter hull 6mm, about 1/4". 2 1/2 hull ought to work.

I suppose the size, decap, prime, podwer and shot drops all ought to work 2 3/4 or 2 12? So, adjust the 3 crimp stations down 1/4 and my progresserator ought to work.

I need more hulls anyhow, so that $$$ don't matter.

Maybe I can try a batch on the Mec. 1st, make the spacer gismo. How long are factory 2 1/2" hulls?

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:35 am  Reply with quote

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/2496

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

I like the green Remington hulls a lot,the black not so much. Precision has them once in a while. I've found the green are longer and require no adjustment between them and my #2 hull which is Federal. They are the only hull I use the SP16 in. Remember they are a 1 1/8 oz.wad and will probably need a filler for 1oz or less loads no matter what hull you use them in.
old colonel
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:39 pm  Reply with quote

I use the SP16 and R16 wads in my RMC hulls and they work well. Unfortunately I have discovered as you have that while they work in cheddite hulls the Cheerio or Pinto bean route. While not ideal, they can be made to work. As Ohiowire.. stated SP16 are 1 1/8 and for 1 oz they generally need a filler

casebro
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

Green rems are $16/box, if you can find them. And I am in California, no net ammo sales for now.

So I trimmed half a dozen virgin Fiochi primed hulls on the drill press. Skived them a bit with a countersink. Loaded powder, wad, shot on the progressive 366, them moved to the Mec to crimp. I just used a shim on top of the shell plate, and did not adjust the dies. Not perfect crimps, but will stay folded. And no need to make them "waterproof" by dripping melted wax to seal the shot in. They will fire. Worked well at 1 1/8, so I reloaded shot to 1oz in three. They look good too, slight rattle only, at least in the Fiocchi. Probaly good to go with 1 oz 2 1/2. 19gr Green dot.

Now, Mec's short kit- do they use 5/16 material and notch the bottom of the spacer for the ears on the shell plate? Is there enough adjust to the crimp dies to make up for the extra 1/16" ? I'd like to make on up in the A.M. , keep the 366 as is until the mass of hulls comes in.

5,000 wads, so 500 hulls, reload 10 times each? Hahahah. 60 birds/week, 52 weeks/year, I'll be gooduntil the next Presidentail election.

The Model 12 in 16ga is my Clays gun, light as a feather compared to the 12ga, or the 16ga Stevens sxs. The Winny 101 is too light, and I can't hit diddly with it anyways.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:23 am  Reply with quote

Why mess with the Remington SP16 or the R16 in anything other than a Remington hull (Black RGL's or any SP hull of any color or vintage), or an old compression formed Winchester-Western. These Remington PowerPiston wads are really too small in diameter to work as they should when used in the thin-walled Rieffenhauser type hulls we have in the 16 today, be they Cheddite, Fiocchi, Martignoini, etc, or even in Federals/Estates. Yes, you can do it, but its not the best thing, and with the RGL hulls being so plentiful, I would think the fiddling required to use the SP16 or R16 in a thin-wall hull would not be worth it. To each his own, though.
casebro
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:49 am  Reply with quote

Well Max, they fit fine. The combo of sp16 and straight sided hulls is listed on the spreadsheet.

I don't consider Black RGLs as reloadable. Many complain of them mouth splits on virgin firing. Me too. I've gotten a dozen times out of virgin Cheddites@ 1oz, fewer from the Herters, 4-5 @ 1 1/8?

And if I buy RGLs for $9/box, the premuim I pay over my handloads is 20cents/hull. Primed Cheddites are cheaper. (California has recently outlawed net sales. No more $5/box Herters for me)

Green Rem Express go for $18 per box of 25. Not many hulls lying around.

Sell me some once fired AA or Green Remingtons for a dime each, I'll be glad to use them instead. Make it a big sale, I want to use up 5,000 wads without going to the 2 1/2 Cheddites.

Meantime, I am off to the races. I paid the BPI premium to get lavender hulls, easier to spot at the range.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:49 am  Reply with quote

casebro - Looks like you already have it figured out, from your very first post:
Quote:
But I can't get them to work in my Cheddite/Herters hulls. They seat too deep, bad crimp and shot rattles around. A couple pinto beans in each one is a pita.

and so have I
Quote:
To each his own

Cheers Confused
casebro
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:39 pm  Reply with quote

Okay, sp16, 1oz 7 1/2, 18gr Green Dot worked well in the virgin hulls last week.

So I reloaded the same hulls this week. Maybe 20% were bloopers. Pffft, and watch the primer fly.

The only change was retail Cheddite primers instead of the factory ones. I did notice that the factory primers were sealed with black lacquer instead of the usual bright red of retail Chedds.

Has anybody else ever noticed a difference in the primers? I thought the retail red were pretty hot?

casebro
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

Oh, something else I learned on this escapade-

The tapered walls ae not the only difference between compression formed and poly-formed hulls. There is an important difference in hull capacity, about 1cc smaller for the CF. Or enough room for another gram of powder. Or the need for fillers if you use CF wads in PF hulls. That is what necessitated my going to 2 1/2" hulls.

putz463
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:51 am  Reply with quote

casebro, a quick thought; since it seems as though you're struggling with your windfall SP16's, have you considered offering them up for sale and parlaying the proceeds into a batch of wads more useful to you?

double vision
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:52 am  Reply with quote

Forget using the SP-16's in anything but Remington hulls (or the old compression-formed Winchesters if you're lucky enough to have them). Yes, there are recipes out there pairing them with the more spacious eurohulls and Federals, but they are a bad match. You are in the process of learning that.

I found they work well for 1 oz. loads in a Remington hull. I've been using them with Unique powder for nice 1200 fps game loads. I'd keep enough for your hunting needs and go with either the DR16 or Claybuster 0078 for your 7/8 oz. target or small bird loads in the big hulls.