16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Choke advice
WVbirdman
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:32 pm  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
Forgot about this one , Had this one tested with 800x ,

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17846&highlight=800x

second one down

That's pretty helpful. Green Dot is the only thing I can get local.
WVbirdman
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:04 pm  Reply with quote

Has anyone used the x-stream spreader inserts from BPI? I know I'm asking a million questions....I've found that's the best way to prevent unnecessary mistakes! I do appreciate all of your input.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

Here's some Green Dot loads

Both Tested by Tom Armburst

Hull : 16ga Cheddite red 2 9/16” – Once Fired
Primer : Cheditte 209 CX2000
Powder: Alliant Green Dot 15.5 grains
Wad : CH1632B
Shot: Lead #7 ½ Eagle mag - 1oz
Crimp 6 Fold
1134 fps EV10 10966 psi EV 700 10/5/16 75 degress

Hull : 16ga Cheddite Red 2 9/16” – Once Fired
Primer : Cheddite 209 CX2000 (Primers marked with black marker)
Powder: Alliant Green Dot 16.0 grains
Wad : Z-16
Shot: Lead #7 ½ Lawrance mag - 1oz
Crimp 6 Fold AOL 2.185 1134 fps EV 8 10366 psi EV 800 10/5/16 75

And one from Precision reloading

Hull: 16ga Cheddite 2 1/2 "
Primer :Win 209
Powder: 15.0 grains Green Dot
Wad: TUWZ2M16GA ( z-16)
Shot: 1 oz lead
6 fold crimp
1193 fps 9370 psi

I wouldn't be afraid to shoot any of these loads in your Fox if the wood and metal are sound . You could reduce the powder charge a bit if you wanted less velocity ( recoil)

For targets I'd shoot 7/8oz
WVbirdman
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:

Both Tested by Tom Armburst

Hull : 16ga Cheddite red 2 9/16” – Once Fired
Primer : Cheditte 209 CX2000
Powder: Alliant Green Dot 15.5 grains
Wad : CH1632B
Shot: Lead #7 ½ Eagle mag - 1oz
Crimp 6 Fold
1134 fps EV10 10966 psi EV 700 10/5/16 75 degress

Hull : 16ga Cheddite Red 2 9/16” – Once Fired
Primer : Cheddite 209 CX2000 (Primers marked with black marker)
Powder: Alliant Green Dot 16.0 grains
Wad : Z-16
Shot: Lead #7 ½ Lawrance mag - 1oz
Crimp 6 Fold AOL 2.185 1134 fps EV 8 10366 psi EV 800 10/5/16 75

And one from Precision reloading

Hull: 16ga Cheddite 2 1/2 "
Primer :Win 209
Powder: 15.0 grains Green Dot
Wad: TUWZ2M16GA ( z-16)
Shot: 1 oz lead
6 fold crimp
1193 fps 9370 psi

I wouldn't be afraid to shoot any of these loads in your Fox if the wood and metal are sound . You could reduce the powder charge a bit if you wanted less velocity ( recoil)

You're a big help sir, thank you. It's in great condition so far as I can tell. Tight and the wood doesn't show any signs of rough treatment and certainly no cracks. No recoil pad, original black plastic butt....so I might bring it down a notch. It was an eye opener when I cracked off the 1 oz RSTs yesterday...in a t shirt. Bad angle leaning across the table, but it got my attention.
tramroad28
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

My opinion...you are overthinking the choke issue.

But, M-F is a bit tight as a combo for WV grouse and certainly, woodcock....even tho that is exactly what GBE used for years....successfully but in a time when WV and Chestnut Ridge held grouse.
A much nicer combo if you are tempted to hunt late season.

If I had a new to me gun with those chokes, I would consider opening the right barrel to IC and live with that combo for a couple of seasons...and see and learn.

You did not mention if a dog is involved...pointer or flusher, or dogless.....makes more of a differnce than choke measurements, to me, in making decisions to chnage or not.

Spreaders work...spreaders can be problematic.
I brewed them, I bought them and recently I gave some 28s away...just not sold on there tradeoffs today.
They remain an option and not a bad one ...if...you pattern them in a tight-ish barrel at a distance that is realistic to the shots you will have.

Good luck and consider taking your new scattergun, maybe opened to IC, a handful of 7 1/2s or 8s...hopefully a smiling birddog and go and see...WV or UP Nort or wherever.
Do not sweat the fiddly stuff of chokes and loads.....ruffed grouse do not require rocketry.
WVbirdman
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

tramroad28 wrote:
My opinion...you are overthinking the choke issue.

But, M-F is a bit tight as a combo for WV grouse and certainly, woodcock....even tho that is exactly what GBE used for years....successfully but in a time when WV and Chestnut Ridge held grouse.
A much nicer combo if you are tempted to hunt late season.

If I had a new to me gun with those chokes, I would consider opening the right barrel to IC and live with that combo for a couple of seasons...and see and learn.

You did not mention if a dog is involved...pointer or flusher, or dogless.....makes more of a differnce than choke measurements, to me, in making decisions to chnage or not.

Spreaders work...spreaders can be problematic.
I brewed them, I bought them and recently I gave some 28s away...just not sold on there tradeoffs today.
They remain an option and not a bad one ...if...you pattern them in a tight-ish barrel at a distance that is realistic to the shots you will have.

Good luck and consider taking your new scattergun, maybe opened to IC, a handful of 7 1/2s or 8s...hopefully a smiling birddog and go and see...WV or UP Nort or wherever.
Do not sweat the fiddly stuff of chokes and loads.....ruffed grouse do not require rocketry.

Over thinking? I guarantee it! That being said, a 65% choke at 40 yds is too tight for anything other than jumpy late season birds in my opinion, which is why I'm overthinking it. I hunt over GSPs, btw. I would definitely like to get that fullish barrel opened up but probably not likely before season, which I'll be starting up in Maine mid October. First trip up there but I'm guessing the shooting is going to be very close most times. I have other guns that are choked appropriately, but I'd like to carry this one. I'll load up some spreaders, pattern them and then go from there.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

I must apologize. In an earlier post I thought we were looking for 2 3/4" recipes. I have edited my response. Please take note of it. Those loads would actually fit in a 2 1/2"-2 9/16" hull, but pressures will be higher. Not likely as high as some of the BPI loads I have encountered, but worth noting and I would treat them strictly as 2 3/4" loads to be on the safe side.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

If the only birds you hunt with the gun will be ruffed grouse and other close quarter denizens of the forest, and you are willing to alter the barrels anyway, I would open both. Skeet & Mod, or even Skeet & I/C would be hard to beat.

I would also consider lengthening the chambers and forcing cones to accept standard ammo provided that the gunsmith feels there is sufficient wall thickness in what will be the new chamber area. My Fox received that treatment immediately and I love it. My gun is a slightly later 1932 specimen and perhaps the barrel taper is more gradual. Anyway, it is worth investigating if ever you should desire to use 2 3/4" ammunition. Have the chambers measured, sometimes a gun has already been altered.

Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:44 pm  Reply with quote

WVbirdman wrote:
fn16ga wrote:

You're a big help sir, thank you. It's in great condition so far as I can tell. Tight and the wood doesn't show any signs of rough treatment and certainly no cracks. No recoil pad, original black plastic butt....so I might bring it down a notch. It was an eye opener when I cracked off the 1 oz RSTs yesterday...in a t shirt. Bad angle leaning across the table, but it got my attention.

RST 7/8 OZ loads are plenty for grouse and woodcock in the north woods and will knock off some of that recoil.

Good Hunting,
Mike
tramroad28
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:25 am  Reply with quote

WVbirdman wrote:
Over thinking? I guarantee it! That being said, a 65% choke at 40 yds is too tight for anything other than jumpy late season birds in my opinion, which is why I'm overthinking it. I hunt over GSPs, btw. I would definitely like to get that fullish barrel opened up but probably not likely before season, which I'll be starting up in Maine mid October. First trip up there but I'm guessing the shooting is going to be very close most times. I have other guns that are choked appropriately, but I'd like to carry this one. I'll load up some spreaders, pattern them and then go from there.

Yes on 65%...opening the rt bbl to 8 1/4% would take a couple weeks or less with Orlen.

Good on the gsp...I had one once.

Overthinking does not apply to the idea of needing or desiring or achieving a more open constriction in a favored scattergun.
It applies to the road taken and the billboards lining the road along the way.

Have a nice trip.
WVbirdman
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:58 am  Reply with quote

tramroad28 wrote:
WVbirdman wrote:

Yes on 65%...opening the rt bbl to 8 1/4% would take a couple weeks or less with Orlen.

Good on the gsp...I had one once.

Overthinking does not apply to the idea of needing or desiring or achieving a more open constriction in a favored scattergun.
It applies to the road taken and the billboards lining the road along the way.

Have a nice trip.

Would've already sent to him, but my last barrel took nearly two months...some have been waiting much longer. Not sure what's going on there. In all honesty, that's the only reason I'm searching so hard for other answers for now. Appreciate the input for sure.
tramroad28
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:29 am  Reply with quote

That would be odd and against the model and if true, with no other issues compounding the job, then I would feel the same way.

That said, a spreader and a pattern board will take a saturday.
Then load up and go with, odds on, enough at hand.
Success at the tailgate, if the measure of a trip, occurs from far more than load and choke.
Guns and choke and weight and barrel length and all are just the fun stuff of wonder.

jmho.
tramroad28
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:29 am  Reply with quote

Just checking re Orlen, as that seems odd......there was a fella on another message board talking about Orlen doing chokes and bending a stock and it taking some time...a long time to him. ‘Course bends can present problems.

So, if that is not you then I suspect there may be some backstories involved....Orlen may have been covered up or ....something else is afoot.

Simple opening of one choke....probably not a big time involved.

Again, good luck.
WVbirdman
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:54 am  Reply with quote

tramroad28 wrote:
Just checking re Orlen, as that seems odd......there was a fella on another message board talking about Orlen doing chokes and bending a stock and it taking some time...a long time to him. ‘Course bends can present problems.

So, if that is not you then I suspect there may be some backstories involved....Orlen may have been covered up or ....something else is afoot.

Simple opening of one choke....probably not a big time involved.

Again, good luck.

Nope, same board name if that's shotgunworld. If you read pages 16 and 17 on his barrel work sub forum, you'll know everything that I do. Definitely got covered up. It happens.