16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Spreader loads...lead deposits
mike campbell
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
WVbirdman
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

mike campbell wrote:
Fiber wads and removed petals is just a way of purposely scrubbing some of the shot on the barrel walls. Scrubbing the shot deforms it and those deformed pellets become "fliers." The absent fliers make for fewer useful pellets in the pattern, Fewer pellets makes for a lower percentage. A lower percentage equates to a more open choke. So, yes, you can make a full choke shoot a modified pattern, by deforming some of the shot (why not just flatten some with a hammer and use a regular shot cup so it doesn't lead the bore?), thus lowering the useful pellet percentage from 70% to say 60%, but ..... that doesn't necessarily make it a "spreader" load.

A good spreader load makes maximum use of all the available pellets by putting them into a WIDER pattern with less central thickening at a given yardage ...

Those 3 patterns were shot with loads built with identical primer, powder charge & shot charge with different shot chambers....each fired at 50 feet through the same barrel with a fixed IMOD choke. That 17 yard pattern becomes much useless at 25 yards.

If a better spreader load exists, I haven't seen it.

The search function still works...

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5701&highlight=spreader

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18368&highlight=spreader

I use the search. I've seen those threads before and taken them into consideration. Thanks

Edit: My issue with this is I'm loading in 2 1/2" hulls. In order to build the load I want, I'll have to roll crimp. Which would mean I would have to top the disc with shot and then top that with an OS card (which is another variable) and then crimp. I guess I could try it and see if the results are similar.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:13 pm  Reply with quote

Smashing pellets with a hammer? Well...I remember reading about Orvis disc shot ammo when I was beginning to reload in my late teens. I did smash pellets with a hammer. Seems like it took all night to load a box of grouse shells! I entertained thoughts of building a giant pellet trap out of plate steel and then firing rounds into it so I could recycle the deformed shot. Then my broke, busted, and dirt poor self figured both variables cost too much. Laughing

WVbirdman
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:55 am  Reply with quote

Received most of my components last night and loaded some spreaders with x treme spreader insert. At 20 yards, the pattern is all over the map. Extremely inconsistent and far TOO open.

Something useful that I gleaned from my control loads though is that I'm getting a substantially more open pattern from my 1 oz #8 loads than from the RST 1oz #8s.

At 20 YDS

Right barrel: RST- 19" useful pattern
My load- 24" useful pattern

Left barrel: RST- 16" pattern
My load- 20" pattern

Not sure what wad is in their shell but the BPI load I'm using is 1 oz in an SG16S....so there's 1/8 oz or so of shot ABOVE the shot cup. Maybe that's the difference. Pattern looks good and nearly negates the need for a spreader. Polywad inserts are being delivered anytime now today. Going to see what they do.