16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Remington Game Loads
jaksny
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:05 pm  Reply with quote

After purchasing a Sterlingworth 16 with 2 9/16" chambers, I began the search to find suitable shells. I have read a hundred times that standard velocity 2 3/4" game loads wouldn't hurt the Sterlingworth at all, but I'm picky and weird. I have found that the Remington Game Loads, 1 oz. @ 1200 fps, measure out to 2.579" (2 9/16" being 2.5625") after firing. I will be using these as much as possible in the future. Just thought this information may help another stubborn hunter.

More fly rods than a guy should have.
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:27 am  Reply with quote

I had noticed that they were not as long as my Cheddite hulls but hadn't measured them until now. I knew that when I trimmed them to 2 1/2" to get rid of worn out crimps that I wasn't trimming as much off. The RP hulls do run better thru my M12 and my Rem M11 but the nice purple Cheddites are for my double guns.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:12 am  Reply with quote

if you remember a yr or 2 ago , me and Mike Campbell were back and forthing about this . I would say at the time , MOST of the shells were as you measured . NOT ALL . We ended up doing a swap and I got the shorties and he got the longies . The only diff for me is that I shoot my old M12's that are unaltered and if you want them to work 100% , you do shorties ! Don't know if it's a quality control thing or they were made on diff machines .

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:24 am  Reply with quote

I think that Remington uses different lengths on their hulls on purpose, at least that is the way it seems.

The last two flats I bought are the longer ones, but I have had plenty of the short ones too.

I can't figure it out I just sort them now.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:52 am  Reply with quote

Dc .... zackly

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

I don't mess with it, just use RST 2 1/2" shells.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
sneem
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:16 pm  Reply with quote

A good gunsmith can open the chamber to 2 3/4 inchs. Then you can use about any shells you like.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:27 am  Reply with quote

My 1919 Sterly's chambers actually measured 2 3/8" (!), and had quite abrupt forcing cones. I shot a lot of RGL's through it that way, as well as Win Super-X 1-ouncers. Those shells all came out nice and reloadable. The longer (70 mm) Cheddite Super-X-ers were "coned" a little bit at the end, but still reloaded great. I consider RGL's a 67mm hull (about 2 and five eighths)-- yours seem a little shorter. This is not surprising, as in my experience with Remington hulls, lot-to-lot length variation is greater than in any other brand.

I have subsequently had Mike Orlen lengthen the chambers of my Sterlingworth, ease the forcing cones, and open the chokes. I don't feel handicapped by using shorter shells, as I have plenty of other short-shell 16 gauge guns to feed, but I needed to open the chokes, so I did the rest, and I like it that way. All-around utility was the motivation. The gun is in really nice-condition, but like most everything in my stable, it's a hunting gun.

Cheers!
Tony
jaksny
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

Some day I would love to have the chambers lengthened and the chokes opened up. Mine is a FxF, which I can shoot pretty well, but would like to open the right barrel up to MOD. My gun was refinished by a less than skilled "gunsmith", so I got a hell of a deal on it. I don't care about looks anyway, my hunting guns go out rain or shine.

More fly rods than a guy should have.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
A good gunsmith can open the chamber to 2 3/4 inchs

So can a poor gunsmith, or any bumbling amateur with a chamber reamer for that matter. It doesn't take much skill to gouge metal out of a barrel and invalidate a proofing stamp.

Back in the day it might have made sense to lengthen 16 ga chambers when 2 1/2" 16ga ammo was difficult or impossible to obtain. But today the supply of reasonably priced 2 1/2" ammo is plentiful and accessible online in a wide range of 16 ga loadings.

And here's another point: Nobody should buy a 16ga expecting to save money. Let's be realistic folks, the 16 ga is an obsolescent firearm well on its way to oblivion. We own and use them for their unique and peculiar characteristics, and nostalgia perhaps, but certainly not for reasons of economy or convenience anymore.

Having said that, I quite like the idea of using short RGLs in short chambers, a very resourceful and practical idea.

B.