16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Bears and Bird Dogs
eng-pointer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:34 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
This thread is sort of like watching Jaws before you go to the beach. And, you are going to need a bigger boat.

Good Hunting,
Mike

Great post! Laughing my arse off.

James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:35 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Having Fly Fished the Taylors Fork area of the Yellowstone for the nice big Rainbow Trout, we have encountered more than a few Grizz. My buddy Ken Legas Fly Fishes with a sawed off double gun, carried in the back of his fishing vest, it's been used more than a few times. Being close to a Grizz in the wild is not a place you want to be, if you can get back to your vehicle and drive out of the area, it's the best thing you can do. Never run, walk slowly out of the Bears area. Do not under any circumstances challenge the Bear by making aggressive moves toward him. A male Grizz is territorial, a female protecting her cubs is even more dangerous than the male.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
duckdup
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:33 am  Reply with quote

Returned from photo trip to Big Sky last week. 14 griz seen in two miles by a friend on Tom Minor Creek. We went the next day and all we saw was mud & pronghorns. Lots of bear sign on Spanish Creek too, never saw one. Bears have a sense of humor. Carry bear spray and get you some birds...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
mtbirder
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:10 pm  Reply with quote

A reality check regarding this topic.
https://buckrail.com/death-of-mark-uptain-by-grizzly-what-we-now-know/
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

I was going to mention that. Yet another grizzly bear attack, an attack that left one man injured and another dead. Personally, I have had my fill of these bears and am perfectly adamant stating that human life is more important than letting somebody feel all warm and fuzzy when they see a grizzly as they drive through the zoo known as Yellowstone National Park.

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

I have no experience with Grizzlies but have killed a couple black bears. The first one with my longbow up in Ontario and a few years later I did a hound hunt in the mountains of southwest New Mexico and the bears did all they could to get away from the dogs that were chasing them. I ended up using my outfitter's rifle to shoot a big bear on the run since he wouldn't tree like they were expected to so i could shoot him with my .44 Mag revolver.
i understand that a female with cubs would respond much more aggressive but most bears are more afraid of humans and will run if they can.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
mtbirder
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

This guy is no NM Black Bear and I guarantee he has no fear of the human backing off from him (me). There's a reason that the focus is slightly off....

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/54999_600x400/] [/URL]

I was hunting blue grouse at 8000' in the Gallatin Range this morning.
They live there - it's a privilege and a curse..............
duckdup
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

I appreciate the pain in the rear bears cause people living in an area with high populations (and the dangers). I have many friends living in those wild places. On the other hand, the odds of a bear (wolf, cougar, bison, moose, rattlesnake, or elk) killing you is much less than your chances of being killed in Chicago or KC.

Having some true wilderness where we may experience what the ancients felt, that feeling something is out there and it thinks you are food, reminds us life is precious...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

Remember, those statistics are for the average person. The "average" person is more likely to be killed in Chicago or KC. Side note: St. Louis is far worse than KC-my brother moved to KC because St. Louis was so bad; he was nearly killed by 4 men at a stop sign in St. Louis and my cousin Bobby was killed in an incident that made national news. Back to the bears; those statistics don't compare the odds of people who are frequently in grizzly country to residents of metropolitan areas. The "average" person doesn't hike where there are grizzlies.

I love my wilderness, but I can appreciate it just fine and dandy without a grizzly stalking me. I'm pretty sure that getting hunted by a Tyrannosaurus Rex would have been a great reminder of how precious life is too, but I have had more reminders this week than I needed as it is. My best friend died, one of my classmates died, one of my classmates lost a husband and I think of the sorrow, the mourning, and lives shattered by those deaths. Then I think about the same for the loved ones of that hunting guide who was killed Friday. I'm sorry if I offend, but the price of that primitive feeling of vulnerability is just too high, especially when it is paid with someone else's blood.

Gil S
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:04 am  Reply with quote

Bear question answered:
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55000_600x400/] [/URL]
Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:51 am  Reply with quote

That's hilarious Gil! They really do. Laughing

duckdup
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

Wyo - no offense taken here.

Gil - funny, real funny.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:18 am  Reply with quote

Wyoming game and fish personnel have concluded their investigation and killed both bears. The cub was captured and then proven to be involved in the attacks; it was euthanized. The sow actually attacked G&F personnel; she was shot and killed during the attack. The guide had discharged his bear spray and it was determined that this sow had indeed been sprayed, he did what he was supposed to and it didn't work.

mtbirder
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:38 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
Wyoming game and fish personnel have concluded their investigation and killed both bears. The cub was captured and then proven to be involved in the attacks; it was euthanized. The sow actually attacked G&F personnel; she was shot and killed during the attack. The guide had discharged his bear spray and it was determined that this sow had indeed been sprayed, he did what he was supposed to and it didn't work.

The above illustrates the fact that hunting. or any recreating, in the company of G Bears presents realities that most people (who don't have experience with them) don't fully appreciate nor take seriously. I'm guessing the deceased guide had some knowledge of the risks and probably some preconceived ideas of how to handle these types of situations.....
Interestingly, and sadly, this incident took place in conjunction with this discussion. I hope folks take heed and stay safe - as one can - when they choose to hunt out here.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Lots of Black Bears here in Pa, knowing how to handle a Bear situation in the wild is exptemely important. The PGC moves Bears all the time.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55018_800x600/] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers