16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  bit the bullet and dropped off Ms. Sterlyworth
bustingclays
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

For those of you following my rambling posts (yes, I know revdocdrew hangs on every written word and I still owe 2 days of Russell reports Embarassed ) here is an update on Ms. Sterlyworth.

On Wednesday I bundled up her 28 inch barrels along with barrels from Ms. Elsie and Ms. Guild and sent them off to Mr. Orlen (see previous post). 28 inch barrel set from Ms. Sterlyworth is to get chambers lengthened, forcing cones lengthened, and chokes opened up.

Today (Friday) I took the receiver and forend along with 30 and 32 inch barrels in-the-white and extra forend iron up to Alton to Labarge Harkness (Paul Fuchs proprieter). Joe, the shop foreman, took a look at what I had, listened to what I wanted, took careful notes, and had some very helpful suggestions so I left the work to be specked out by Paul on Tuesday (and to get an estimate). Forgot to get pics, but will when I take the 28 inch barrels up there after back from Mr. Orlen.

Here is what I asked for (for starters):

fit 30 and 32 inch barrels
ream out shell head space in both barrel sets and extracters - fit extractors
make new beavertail foreend (will have to suffice for both longer barrels as I only have the one set of forend iron)

We discussed getting all this done and then sending barrels out for chamber lengthening/forcing cones/chokes

Then the barrels would come back and Joe suggested that they could get the barrels set up with serial numbers, Fox Sterlingworth, Philadelphia in barrel metal - cool Cool and then blue them

I will need to have the ribs filed on both barrel sets - any ideas on who might do this for me? Seems to me I remember Andy's Custom Shop or New Ithaca Doubles doing this on a tv show not too long ago.

Joe suggested - get the gun cleaned up and fitted with the wood you have and then maybe next year get some "really nice" wood to put on it. He even showed me some trigger guards/iron that he had just straightened to fit on an LC with straight stock. He also suggested that I get rid of the beaded finish on the action and go with case coloring (they send it out) - the examples I saw were spectacular.

Drew - Joe also asked me if I had a three barrel case. Did you call him???

By the way for you parker-putz types, Paul/Joe are experimenting with some old damascus barrels to get the "chaining" to stand out before bluing. The 4 barrel parker set in'the-white that I saw last time I was up there is finished and the forends are matched, checkered and awaiting final fitting. What needs to be done is the bluing and they are using a rusting technique on an older set of parker barrels to get the finish they want before bluing - I was impressed.

So, the great Ms. Sterlyworth project has started - stay tuned.....

Dr. 16 Gauge
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

ok call me what you will but aren't "in the white" more valuable as is?

practical and functional aside, aren't the white metals more rare/valuable/collectable/etc. than blued?

and of course - where are the pic's man? Ferfucksake you don't go bragging about dating 3 supermodels with out pictoral proof!
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

Dr 16g: you might check with these gentlemen about the rib work.

Jim Swain Trafalgar,IN barrelsmith@earthlink.net

Andy's Custom Shop New York http://www.andyscustomshop.net/

Keith Kearcher http://members.toast.net/keithkearcher

And I gotta agree about re-case coloring the receiver (and the 3 brl case) Very Happy

bustingclays
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Drew. Andy's looks like the place. Will wait and see what Paul recommends on Tuesday.

I knew that you would be spending more of my money - you just can't seem to help yourself Wink

I do like the case coloring, but something about that glass-bead finish just seems to call to me....

My plan (as of this minute anyway) is to get it all operational and then turn attention to the receiver and the stocking. time will tell....

Dr. 16 Gauge
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:47 pm  Reply with quote

bc----rumor is someone(rev)called and told them to fully engrave and gold inlay no less than 80% of the receiver???????????
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:04 pm  Reply with quote

You know, the whole time I was in Russell with Drew and Dirk I enjoyed myself. However, every day since my wallet has gotten lighter and lighter - its almost like the bird hex Drew put on up in Washington KS Rolling Eyes

I definitely will get the estimate at Labarge Harkness in writing (and will make sure that it is my ink on the signature - and signature) 80% engraving and GOLD inlay - jeez Rolling Eyes

Dr. 16 Gauge
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

Now which side did you say you wanted the Clemson paw on? Razz

bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

Too funny Drew....

Lets see, there are three sides to the receiver (right, left, bottom) and I have degrees from AU (Go Tigers) and Clemson (Go Tigers) and work at SIUE (Go Cougars)

Interesting story behind the AU and CU football programs and names. Story I was told was that John Heisman was coaching at AU and was hired away to start the program at CU. AU was Tigers and orange/white so CU ended up being Tigers and orange/purple - both are about 120 miles from downtown Atlanta and both are land-grant institutions. The War Eagle and Plainsmen nomenclature for AU came much later.

But I digress, using Drew's train of thought, I could have emblazened (well engraved) an orange Tiger Paw on the left and the right (for AU and CU) and a Red Cougar paw (for SIUE) on the bottom - Ms. Sterlyworth would be custom for sure - go figure... I couldn't miss!

Dr. 16 Gauge