16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Crimps 6 versis 8
scraggley
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:48 am  Reply with quote

Playing around with the various crimping heads on my mEC , just wondering why everybody seems to be using a 6 point crimp. In the past I have reloaded 12, 16 and 20 ga. with both styles where old such factory crimps were used. With new hulls I have produced good looking 6 and 8 point crimps that seem to perform the same in my field use. Is there any performance difference I am not aware of ? Some of my 8anpoint crimps using older aluminum crimping heads appear to be just like older factory shells that feed well in my repeating guns.

Art

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:37 am  Reply with quote

To me, it looks like the 8-pointer has some advantages: 1) Has the potential with larger shot (depends on shot size ratio too bore size) to take up less room in the hull. For the 16, I think this starts to be true somewhere between #6 and #4. 2) The resulting hull mouth is likely to come out more "round", and stay that way when handloading the typical thin-walled Rieffenhauser-type new hulls typical to the 16 and other gauges, because the pie segments subtend a smaller angle, and 3) For the same "small segment" reason, the hull mouth seems to be stressed a little less in producing the folds and might last a little longer. None of these points are real hard-fixed rules, just something that I seem to notice.

I do wonder why the factories introduced 8-point crimps. I never saw any until Remington's SP plastic hull (1960, I think), which had very stiff plastic and how they made such a nice inverted crimp I just don't know. Later Olin (Winchester/Western) 8-pointed the stiff plastic of the AA's, and later put the 8-point on just about everything else.
scraggley
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:45 am  Reply with quote

I did notice that my 8 fold crimps were rounder and were smaller in overall diameter. This could possibly improve feeding in some repeating shotguns.

Art

FlyChamps
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

I've been shooting shotguns for about 58 years and reloaded for 44 until I stopped last year.

I don't think 6 or 8 makes any difference - I even bought some foreign shells one time that had 5 point crimps. All work fine.

When I was reloading I used a 6 point starter if the hull was originally 6 point and 8 point starter if originally 8 point, other than that no thinking required. Well, unless I was roll crimping my 24 gauge cartridges.
duckdup
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

I don't have a clue if the number 6 or 8 makes a better load but I use 6 on ribbed hulls & 8 on smooth when I don't roll crimp. The real question is, "Why are there no 7 fold crimp loads?" Is there a secret society out there that loads with 7 folds???

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

There is no difference between the 6 or 8 point crimp. I also shoot repeaters most of the time, and neither have ever posed a feeding issue.

I do like the 6 point better when I am loading new hulls. I think it is a little bit easier to form well.

Have fun and use whichever you like better.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

One other factor to consider is that the 6 point crimp has deeper folds that, while occupying more volume, are less likely to bulge or start to open than the 8 point folds.

B.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:07 am  Reply with quote

The only real difference I ever noticed was that wads feed slightly easier into my 8 point hulls due to that rounder profile when opened. Oh, and there are more little creases when I look at my loaded shells...still can't tell whether or not there's a Cheerio hiding under there! Laughing