16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New Sweet A5 cycling problem.
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:36 am  Reply with quote

George, that certainly sounds like a good idea. Those action tubes in shotguns are usually neglected. I have a couple 12 gauge A5's and I know a company makes a stainless steel action tube replacement unit to enhance cycling and prevent rusting. These are probably made for the waterfowlers, but it would be interesting to see if they could put one together for the SW16.

Last edited by double vision on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:55 am  Reply with quote

Yes I have oiled the action tube it is on page 53 of the owners manual. Doesn't mean it doesn't hurt for someone else to try it too.

That is where the recoil spring is located that I talked about earlier is and cutting it down a quarter turn at a time to help it cycle easier. It is item number 2 in the diagram from Midwest Gun Works, you can click on the number 2 and it will take you to the link to order it.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/browning-new-a5/parts.html

They are in stock and only $7.50 each. However taking the action tube apart to get to it is not easy.

Sure Cycle is the name of the company you are thinking of Dave. I have done them on Benelli's before and looks like the Browning's are identical. Sure Cycle does have one listed for the new A5 but they have not been in stock for at least a year now, and more than likely only for the new A5 12 ga.

https://www.surecycle.com/products/brn-04

You have to use a torch to heat the action tube to free the thread locker they use. And wondering if people haven't caused the alloy receiver to warp or twist from the amount of force required to remove the tube. Not sure just a theory but like I said hasn't been in stock for a year or so which makes me wonder if there isn't more to removing it than normal, which isn't usually easy to begin with. That $7.50 spring could get pretty expensive if there is which is why I haven't done it yet.

Been thinking Ahlman's would probably do it for me pretty reasonably though and install a cut spring, and it might make a trip up there this winter. Would have to only use target loads with it once you do it or change it out again with a factory spring for hunting loads. Otherwise the extra recoil can crack the receiver when the bolt slams back from the recoil of hunting loads. Factory springs are a compromise between light target and hunting loads.

So ideally I would purchase a dedicated Sweet 16 for targets and have it done to that one, which is the direction I am headed. The Sweet 16 I had Briley cut down to 23" will spend the winter with a certain stock maker getting converted to a straight grip stock Cool and be my primary grouse gun. See how it does the last 2 weeks of the month hunting grouse on the North Shore first but pretty sure I already know the answer...
studdog
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:42 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies Gentlemen. Got nothing to lose by lubing it. Don't want to cut the spring. This is mainly a hunting gun and functions great with those loads. Thanks again for the informative info. George

tdnathens
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:31 am  Reply with quote

Not cleaning and oiling the action spring tube and plunger located in the stock of many semi-auto's has caused more failure to fire than many believe. Dirt and burned powder are packed in that area. Once you remove the stock they are easy to disassemble and clean. I clean and lube them the same way I do a barrel. I have installed the stainless ones sold by Sure Cycle for guns that must be used in wet conditions. You still must disassemble and clean them.
Tom