16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Gun re-assembly question - tripping the hammers
makintrax73
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

OK so I have a weird question for the group. I screwed up my stock with bore solvent. Disassembled the gun for refinishing. I have the bare receiver sitting here with cocked hammers which is how it has always sat for regular cleaning. I would like to detail clean some of the inside workings since I have the gun apart. I never thought to trip the hammers and see if the gun can come apart and go back together with hammers tripped.

My question is: Now that I have the gun apart I'm almost certain to trip the hammers if I mess with it to clean it. The sears are sitting right there in the open. If that happens am I going to have an issue reassembling it? For one I'm not sure if I can get the barrels back in place with firing pins sticking out, and for two I'm not sure if the fore end will go back in place if the cocking dogs are tripped which I think would tighten them into the contact points on the fore end.

EDIT: This is a 1920's Belgium proof marked gun. When I took it apart I followed instructions from a MidwayUSA Youtube video - that gun was I think and A&D boxlock - so I think the action is basically an A&D with a cross bolt added.

I know it's a dumb question but I've never done something like this before.

Or if I do have to re-set the hammers before reassembly how do you do that with no fore end attached? Confused

Also, for the record - Dripping bore cleaner inside your case, forgetting about it, then closing the case up is a BAD idea.

Crying or Very sad

mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
byrdog
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

If the firing pins are extended they can be reset by placing the barrels on the action after removing the extractor. once the barrels are in place replace the forend cock the gun, remove the forend and barrels replace the extractor and put the gun together, and your good to go. I work on these doubles alot so any other questions ust PM me.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
makintrax73
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:14 pm  Reply with quote

OK thanks guys that helped me think it through. This article:

http://www.finegunmaking.com/page37/page43/page43.html

shows me in detail what I'm looking at. In fact it seems obvious now, but I was looking at the cocking levers the whole time. Just didn't realize it.

And there is just a set screw holding the extractor in so that is easy if needed.

So one or the other of the two posted methods should get me through it.