<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Don’t be an Idiot
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

Label? How about a 16 gauge guy Smile

Last edited by skeettx on Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
mike campbell
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
mtbirder
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

Mike,
Thanks for the warning Very Happy .
I guess I just learned what a signature line is, actually just noticed RuffHunter's.........
Skeetx nailed it, I think were all 16 ga guys.
canvasback
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:39 am  Reply with quote

So, having been here a few years I am quite familiar with the policy of no politics. I have my own opinions on that but this isn't my site, I enjoy being here and being Canadian, am predisposed to following rules if there are any. Very Happy

But my question is this....Ruffhunter makes a point of admonishing someone for veering into politics in this thread, yet makes a clear political statement with every post via his sig line in every discussion thread he posts on.

Now, I'll acknowledge it's kinda funny but it sure seems to me it's in direct contravention of the intent of the policy of no politics.

BTW, Ruffhunter, I could not agree more with your idea of finding a way to celebrate voting while making it easier for many people at the same time. Brilliant!

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:21 am  Reply with quote

canvasback,

Very easy to vote, US birth certificate and home residency in the state you reside, nothing else is needed for those who are American citizens. unless the persons is a naturalized resident. All others can not legally vote in the USA, no matter what any state happens to want.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Ruff Hunter
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:32 am  Reply with quote

Well, if my signature line bothers you, I suggest you review the definition of "irony" and get a sense of humor, if at least just a sense of one. If it is just my being a Liberal disappoints you, nothing I can do about that. Rest assured that I am like no other Liberal. Strong on the 2nd, the military, and I have no patience for the snowflakes and their overgrown sensibilities. but I part ways with conservatives on everything else.

As for policing, I'm no cop, but I do on occasion lurk over on the doublegun forum, where a common complaint is that there is no moderation or policing of topics, and that board is a sh!thole of bickering and petty political fights.

This forum has had a long standing rule against posting of politics of any kind, put in place by the board's founder. The rule is well known to all who post here and the desire to keep politics out of this forum is its #1 attribute (next to being dedicated to the 16GA.) Frankly we are all adults, we know the rules and we should respect the wishes of the Board's founder, and play by them. That's not hard and as mentioned above there are other places to get into political spats, and somehow talk about doubleguns too, if that's your thing.

I don't post much, but I do consider myself among friends here, not so much on other forums where politics often leech into discussions. So as an olive branch, I will modify my signature a bit. I do think that labeling my signature a political statement is off the mark. It advocates for no policy or candidate, just makes a humorous identification. So whats the real problem? Does a Liberal who likes to hunt and shoot make you feel uncomfortable because I can't be easily fit into the mold you have for liberals?

Thanks canvasback and others for the support on the having election day a national holiday. Notwithstanding the accurate points brought up by others, having to work an 8 to 12 hour day, on election day makes it difficult to exercise the right. I truly believe that if voting is a fundamental right, it should be accommodated as much as possible and and the vote/ballot should be treated like $$$ so we don't get into all this hoopla about fraud, or suppression. We take these rights for granted, when we all could have just as easily been under the yoke of Stalin during the years of the purges and forced industrialization. We are lucky to be Americans.

16Ga BRNO
20Ga LC Smith
20Ga Miroku x2 (Model F & Model 500)
28Ga AYA 4/53 (bucket list item #6)
mtbirder
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:02 pm  Reply with quote

"Does a Liberal who likes to hunt and shoot make you feel uncomfortable because I can't be easily fit into the mold you have for liberals"?

Spectacular question RuffHunter. Those of us who don't fit either side of the spectrum - which both sides seem dominated by currently - are messy for some Very Happy .
Serious current issues aside - I think it's kinda' fun.......................
An Aside:
Took both my girls out this morning, along with the 12 gauge. They perfectly corralled a rooster and I blew the shot.
May be the 16 superlight feather's revenge for being left home this morning...
Ruff Hunter
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:45 pm  Reply with quote

Lets hear it for the mold breakers mtbirder!

16Ga BRNO
20Ga LC Smith
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

There is no reason for a LEGAL citizen of the United States not to vote. There are so many ways to vote anymore. I do not need a National Holiday off to vote.

If you have to bribe some one with a whole day off to vote, then maybe they don't really need to vote.

Voter ignorance is pandemic in the U.S. just watch a few "man in the street videos" to get a taste of ignorance.

I TRY to vote for the candidate, not the party, although that is getting more difficult for me to do.

Ruff Hunter, I could care less if you are a liberal, just fess up when your party tries to pass more gun laws, and remember if it weren't for the Republican party and the NRA, we probably would not be on any gun forum discussing the pros and cons of a particular gauge.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
mtbirder
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:17 pm  Reply with quote

Dale,
You and I live in the West.
If you're like me you spend a lot of time on public lands.
The GOP party, has as part of their platform (read it) the transfer and/or disposal of public lands. I for one, don't need any firearms if I don't have public lands to use them on.
No party holds the high ground.
Hope both extremes can figure out a way to move to the center.
If not, we probably won't have the luxury of being able to discuss the 16 gauge on an internet forum.
Personally, I'm not to optimistic, but hell I'm 56 and have most of my outdoorsman time behind me.
And judging from the conversations on this site, many if not most are even older than I.
Clutching the past tightly so as to not lose it...................
canvasback
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
canvasback,

Very easy to vote, US birth certificate and home residency in the state you reside, nothing else is needed for those who are American citizens. unless the persons is a naturalized resident. All others can not legally vote in the USA, no matter what any state happens to want.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Dave, thanks for responding. I'm pretty aware of the legal requirements....I was really responding positively to the idea Ruff Hunter put forward of celebrating the idea of voting. Much as I respect Dale, and I do, the ability to change governments in a relatively peaceable fashion, is both a rare accomplishment and a relatively recent development in the history of mankind. Most of our history is about finding ways to kill each other and that kind of history is still being made.

The fact that the most powerful nation in the history of the world can do it every 4 years in relative peace is about as worthwhile celebrating, as a nation, as anything else I can imagine.

1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
Ruff Hunter
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:25 pm  Reply with quote

Cheyenne08 wrote:
There is no reason for a LEGAL citizen of the United States not to vote. There are so many ways to vote anymore. I do not need a National Holiday off to vote.

If you have to bribe some one with a whole day off to vote, then maybe they don't really need to vote.

Voter ignorance is pandemic in the U.S. just watch a few "man in the street videos" to get a taste of ignorance.

I TRY to vote for the candidate, not the party, although that is getting more difficult for me to do.

Ruff Hunter, I could care less if you are a liberal, just fess up when your party tries to pass more gun laws, and remember if it weren't for the Republican party and the NRA, we probably would not be on any gun forum discussing the pros and cons of a particular gauge.

Dale

Dale, you need to walk a mile in other peoples shoes. If you do, be sure they are less fortunate than you. I mean seriously, bribing people with a day off to vote? That's what you think its about? I'll tell you what, I'll gladly trade the day off we get to honor the fiction of a scientifically impossible event, which has been perverted to a worship of consumerism for a day off to do your civic duty. I'm too old for Christmas presents anyways and I'd rather spend the time telling the powers that be whats important to me.

Incidentally, do you believe that the right to vote is fundamental right?

I do agree with you on the problem of voter apathy though. We fail our future generations by not successfully teaching history and the critical importance of civics and to have a voice in your government.

As for the Dems and the 2nd. I'll be the first to admit they are misguided, but you know what, the right is enshrined in the constitution and there are courts that protect it. I trust that the firewall of protections for constitutional rights built by the Founders is sufficient to protect it. I don't buy into the persistent & incessant ranting by the NRA that the 2nd is going to be outlawed by a Dem Congress. Sure seems to make the NRA a lot of money though....BTW have you been looking into where some of the NRA's money has been coming from lately courtesy Alexander Torshin and the Russian government?

And to expand on mtbirder's point, there are more threats to my ability to use and obtain firearms then the Dems misguided attempts at gun control. For instance WI shortened the season on Ruffed Grouse (my favorite furry little critter) this year out of a concern of a drop in population due to West Nile Virus. I suspect that several states will follow suit next year on the same grounds. West Nile Virus is spreading more effectively as a result of Climate Change, the science of which is denied by the GOP.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2018/09/16/west-nile-virus-how-climate-change-may-be-contributing-to-its-spread/#6e0cb95e3784

If I live in one of those States, that would have more of an impact on my ability to use my guns then the boogyman Democrat coming for them. I want to use my guns, not keep them in the safe to look at and wish there was something out there I could shoot them with.

Last edited by Ruff Hunter on Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:58 pm; edited 3 times in total

16Ga BRNO
20Ga LC Smith
canvasback
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

Ruff Hunter wrote:
Well, if my signature line bothers you, I suggest you review the definition of "irony" and get a sense of humor, if at least just a sense of one. If it is just my being a Liberal disappoints you, nothing I can do about that. Rest assured that I am like no other Liberal. Strong on the 2nd, the military, and I have no patience for the snowflakes and their overgrown sensibilities. but I part ways with conservatives on everything else.

As for policing, I'm no cop, but I do on occasion lurk over on the doublegun forum, where a common complaint is that there is no moderation or policing of topics, and that board is a sh!thole of bickering and petty political fights.

This forum has had a long standing rule against posting of politics of any kind, put in place by the board's founder. The rule is well known to all who post here and the desire to keep politics out of this forum is its #1 attribute (next to being dedicated to the 16GA.) Frankly we are all adults, we know the rules and we should respect the wishes of the Board's founder, and play by them. That's not hard and as mentioned above there are other places to get into political spats, and somehow talk about doubleguns too, if that's your thing.

I don't post much, but I do consider myself among friends here, not so much on other forums where politics often leech into discussions. So as an olive branch, I will modify my signature a bit. I do think that labeling my signature a political statement is off the mark. It advocates for no policy or candidate, just makes a humorous identification. So whats the real problem? Does a Liberal who likes to hunt and shoot make you feel uncomfortable because I can't be easily fit into the mold you have for liberals?

Ruff, it's not the sig line that bothers me. I don't need a lesson in irony. And nothing about you makes me uncomfortable. I happily live my life surrounded by liberals that likely make you look like a red neck. I don't segregate on the basis of political outlook. I do however, feel like integrity is important, no matter where on the spectrum one may fall.

What I am bringing to your attention is a double standard you are applying. Especially as you are applying it to members here who have been significant and long term contributors to this site, both in the top 26 of posters. You, having contributed 115 or so posts here, decided to be the policeman. All the while making a political statement.

Political statements don't have to be dour or humorless to be political. As yours so ably makes the point, they can even be quite funny. Had you not evidenced a streak of self righteousness towards 16gaDavis, I would have been happy to go on, enjoying the humour implicit in your sig line. But you did, so I couldn't.

You may not find the DG forums a place you want to hang your hat, I get that. It's not for the faint of heart. But it's not political discussions that set the members off over there....it's double standards, phoniness and misrepresentation.

1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
canvasback
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

mtbirder wrote:
"Does a Liberal who likes to hunt and shoot make you feel uncomfortable because I can't be easily fit into the mold you have for liberals"?

Spectacular question RuffHunter. Those of us who don't fit either side of the spectrum - which both sides seem dominated by currently - are messy for some Very Happy .
Serious current issues aside - I think it's kinda' fun.......................
An Aside:
Took both my girls out this morning, along with the 12 gauge. They perfectly corralled a rooster and I blew the shot.
May be the 16 superlight feather's revenge for being left home this morning...

However poorly you and Ruffhunter may fit the stereotypes, I can assure you, I am likely to fit just as badly.

I respectfully disagree, however, on that being a "spectacular" question. It comes across, as do a few other items in the same post, as some kind of effort to get me to shut up by making intimidating insinuations.

1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

Whole lot of smoke Ruff Hunter. I was able to vote when I was so poor the poor felt sorry for me.

Global warming, terrible stories about the NRA. Red herrings in my opinion, and judges appointed by liberal executives tend not to give a whit about the 2nd amendment.

Voting is a responsibility of a legal citizen of the U.S. there are no barriers to keep you from voting. If you haven't a clue why or who you are voting for or an illegal immigrant then you have the responsibility to not vote.

Class warfare is a tool of the left, I don't subscribe to the premise.

I have stated my opinion, you have stated yours. I for one am through with this subject.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...