16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Savage Fox BST
Square Load
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

Was in a local pawn shot yesterday and they had a Savage Fox BST 16ga. It is in good shape, action is tight, no cracks or dings in the wood. The stock fits so I know I could hit something with it. I have dealt with them before and am sure I could take it home for $200 or a bit less.

Any body know much about these guns? I know it is basically a dressed up 311 with walnut, made from 55-66, but the thing I know nothing about is the single trigger. Are they reliable or prone to having problems?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:58 am  Reply with quote

The BST single trigger is a fairly simple adaptation of the old double trigger and being non-selective, has minimal parts for failures. The ones I've had have proven reliable. Many single trigger SXS's are way more complicated than the BST, and simple is generally better.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:05 am  Reply with quote

That would be a great price on that gun in 16ga.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Researcher
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:09 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
I know it is basically a dressed up 311 with walnut,

That is historically a misconception. It is really a much more tangled web. There was no such thing as a Stevens Model 311 when the Fox Model B was introduced in mid-1939. For the Fox Model B, Savage took the internal parts of their J. Stevens No. 530 and put them in a somewhat nicer profiled receiver, with a black gun-metal finish, and fitted it with just a bit nicer stock. In 1940, J. Stevens Arms Co. introduced a version of their No. 530 with a stock and forearm made if Tenite (plastic), and called it the No. 530-M. After WW-II Savage Arms Corp. consolidated their arms making operations at their J. Stevens Arms Co. factories in Chicopee Falls, Mass. and the factory at Utica, NY, went to making products for the post-war housing boom. For 1947, they called the gun that had been the J. Stevens No. 530-M with the Tenite stock and forearm from 1940 through 1946, the Springfield No. 311. By 1948 it was the Stevens Model 311, and by 1951 the Tenite was gone and the Stevens Model 311 got the walnut finished wood stock and forearm. 1954 was the last year Savage/Stevens/Fox offered the original parent gun the Stevens Model 530. After that there was just the Stevens Model 311 and the various versions of the Fox Model B.

I have no first hand experience with the single triggers used on the Fox Model Bs but I've never heard any complaints about then either.

707PS
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:02 am  Reply with quote

There is a Sears Savage on gunbroker (787510209) and it looks like it's in great shape. Is that gun similar to the sxs you guys are disgusting. Does anyone know how
much they weigh and what they are really worth? The description says it is a side x
side from the 50's era.
Researcher
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

That gun looks like the catalog pictures of the J. Stevens No. 530. With the RANGER name on the side of the receiver and the other markings we can see in this dealer's crappy pictures, I'd suspect that gun was from 1939 or the 1940s. By the 1950s, the Sears "trade brand" would be J.C. Higgins.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:37 am  Reply with quote

707PS wrote:
There is a Sears Savage on gunbroker (787510209) and it looks like it's in great shape. Is that gun similar to the sxs you guys are disgusting. Does anyone know how
much they weigh and what they are really worth? The description says it is a side x
side from the 50's era.

I have a Stevens 16ga marked Springfield that's pre-1949; 28" barrels, double triggers, checkered walnut and twin ivory beads; it weighs a whisker under 7lbs. I'd guess $300-400 would be a reasonable price if it's in good condition.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Square Load
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the help!

Went back today with a tape measure and scale intending to buy the gun. Found out the stock had been shortened 3/4". Even with a 1" recoil pad it would still be 1/4" shorter than I like. Surprised I didn't notice it the first time I looked at it. Also found a hair line crack on each side of the stock where it meets the receiver. Shocked

Thanks again.

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
707PS
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

Good job, looks like ya did your home work.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:31 am  Reply with quote

would be kind of a conundrum on that gun . good price and I could live with the cracks and short stock ... they always feel a little heavy to me . Had one at one local shop for 330 bucks , and a tenite stocked one like new for 400 . Just couldn't feel the love !!

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:03 am  Reply with quote

Square Load wrote:

Went back today with a tape measure and scale intending to buy the gun. Found out the stock had been shortened 3/4". Even with a 1" recoil pad it would still be 1/4" shorter than I like. Surprised I didn't notice it the first time I looked at it. Also found a hair line crack on each side of the stock where it meets the receiver. Shocked

Thanks again.

I have a couple of guns that came with too short stocks and I handled that by getting a 1/4" spacer from Brownell's and epoxying it to a Pachmayer SC-100 pad and grinding to fit. It is really difficult to tell that the pad is extra thick after attaching it that way. The crack would be easy to deal with and gives you an opportunity to bed the head of the stock. If the gun is mechanically sound, what you've found should not be a deal breaker, and could be used to negotiate a better selling price. The photo shows my A H Fox Special 16 ga with an angled spacer epoxied to an SC-100 pad to get the correct LOP and pitch.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

Square Load wrote:

Thanks again.

For $200, I wouldn't let that stop me. Y Wink

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
Square Load wrote:

Thanks again.

I am with you Mark, I have shot various guns over my years with "cracks" in the stock, seemed like they never got worse, and shot just fine. Of course poor boys look at the world differently than some. Wink

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
Square Load
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

Cheyenne08 wrote:
UncleDanFan wrote:
Square Load wrote:

Thanks again.

I am with you Mark, I have shot various guns over my years with "cracks" in the stock, seemed like they never got worse, and shot just fine. Of course poor boys look at the world differently than some. Wink

Dale

On this gun the stock is slightly loose and when I put up and down pressure on it the cracks open up and are about 1 1/4" long. Am guessing the cracks were caused by the loose stock bolt.

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12