16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Gunsmithing Question, Tightening action with dolls head ext
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:

Poor lighted pics. Needs some love, for sure... Right-side lock likely needs a spring replaced.

Nice lines on a slim receiver. Looks like a keeper!

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Little Creek
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

I have had three actions tightened. Two by spray welding the hook and one with a .001 shim fastened to the hook with a Loctite retaining fluid. They all worked for several years. One of the spray weld jobs seemed to wear and loosened a bit in about 6 years time. The other gun with the spray weld was sold and hasn't loosened; not shot much. There was never any other problem resulting from the weld fix. These were two Fox Sterlingworths. It cost very little to have this done by a gunsmith.

The shim I added myself on a 1914 Fox Sterlingworth. Worked fine and was hunted quite a bit. I won a sxs class Ruffed Grouse Society shoot with the 12 gauge before the shim came loose and spun on the jelly roll. I got the shim stock from a machinist who rebuilt pumps. Probably still have some shim stock if you want it.
Little Creek
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

I also shimmed a hook on a Flues 16. It tightened the action without causing any other problems. Again, this was a permanent fix as the shim was attached to the hook and touched up with a file so that it was near invisible. I shot the gun for a while but eventually sold it.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:28 am  Reply with quote

I have used a shim of Scotch tape (the old-fashioned red plaid packaged cellophane stuff, not the green packaged polyethylene "Magic Tape"), used a shim cut from an aluminum beer can, and also peened the hook of my grandfather's old Crescent hammer 12 gauge. All worked, but with varying degrees of durability, of course. Such solutions will easily get you through a hunting season or a long shooting session or more, but the first two are far from permanent. And the hook on that Crescent was so weak in design and material that even peening was not a "lifetime" solution. On better guns, rather than screw around with shims, I prefer a more expertly crafted restoration of the hook and/or hinge pin, by a knowledgeable gunsmith. A bonded-in hard metal shim is the next best thing, as long as the hinge pin is not too badly worn.